Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My little venture into tuning my new room  (Read 19218 times)

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: My little venture into tuning my new room
« Reply #45 on: April 26, 2010, 05:45:02 PM »
Thanks for the updated inspirational photos.

You got me thinking amps again.  I need to look into the Emotiva stuff for decent but not overy pricy juice to drive my B&W's.  I really dig the sound and the incredibly transparent tone control on my inexpensive panasonic SA-XR-55 class-D reciever, but there just isn't enough juice in there.  Like you mention, it's the dynamic transients and bass that I'd like to improve, not the SPL.

musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #46 on: April 26, 2010, 05:48:42 PM »
its a PS1200 Paradigm, its fed out of the sub outs on the Outlaw 970.  the 970 has a high quality DAC and bass management system (for the sub) built in that i prefer over the sound of my denon.  Although I will replace the 970 before long with a stereo pre, but its is the best sounding/cost effective solution i could find in a pre and DAC all in one box that had a remote.  i had to have the remote, i wasnt getting up to adjust volume all the time, and some of the extra stuff has been useful in utilizing my TV as a second monitor since my PC is the nucleus of system.  i now have a second mouse at the couch to change albums and surf while i sit in the sweet spot and rage. 

Gutbucket, I would recommend the XPA-2.  I got mine used so it was even cheaper yet, but even new they are a hard bargain to beat.  I just today had the warranty transferred over to me, its covered till 7/14, cant beat.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #47 on: April 26, 2010, 06:30:19 PM »
Thanks Jim,  my issue is that I've gone down this crazy, winding surround recording path so I need multi-channel gear.  Gets pricey quick and one reason why I've stuck with the little 100WPC Panny which takes care of all the routing and amplification pretty well.  Don't they make a 3-channel version of that amp which I could use for my identical 3 front speakers?
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #48 on: April 26, 2010, 06:52:15 PM »
thanks.  I go DAC->Power Amp, so there isn't anything to play with or any bass crossover besides the built in sub crossover, which I am skeptical about.  I have been thinnk of getting a single rack space crossover so I can more professionally control the sub.   I really like the direct signal path of dac, direct to the amp, but I would like to be able to bypass the sub crossover and  controll the volume.  Other than foobar, I have no easy way to change volume.  If you do decide to get rid of the 970, let me know, I might be able to make good use of it.
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #49 on: April 26, 2010, 07:07:04 PM »
Thanks Jim,  my issue is that I've gone down this crazy, winding surround recording path so I need multi-channel gear.  Gets pricey quick and one reason why I've stuck with the little 100WPC Panny which takes care of all the routing and amplification pretty well.  Don't they make a 3-channel version of that amp which I could use for my identical 3 front speakers?
they do, the XPA-3, but its not the same amp im told.  basically the same amp with a slightly smaller transformer and only 1/3 more capacitance for another channel.  certainly a huge jump up from a 100wpc class D, but possibly not the animal mine is.  (they do have a 30day return policy)   the specs say it all:

XPA‐3
Number of Channels: 3
Topology: Fully Discrete, Dual Differential, High Current, Short Signal Path Class A/B
Power output (all channels driven):
300 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
200 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)
Power Band Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than .05db deviation at rated power
Broadband Frequency Response: (‐3db): 5Hz to 150kHz
Amplifier Gain: 32db
Signal to Noise Ratio 1 watt: >98db Full Power: >112db
Input Impedance:
Unbalanced – 47kohms
Balanced – 33kohms
Transformer Size: 850VA
Secondary capacitance: 60,000uF
Output Devices: 6 per channel

vs.

XPA‐2
Number of Channels: 2
Topology: Fully Discrete, Dual Differential, High Current, Short Signal Path Class A/B
Power output (all channels driven):
500 watts RMS @ 4 ohm (0.1% THD)
300 watts RMS @ 8 ohm (0.1% THD)
Power Band Response: 20 Hz to 20 kHz with less than .05db deviation at rated power
Broadband Frequency Response: (‐3db): 5Hz to 150kHz
Amplifier Gain: 32db
Signal to Noise Ratio 1 watt: >91db Full Power: >110db
Input Impedance:
Unbalanced ‐ 23.5kohms
Balanced ‐ 33kohms
Transformer Size: 1,200VA
Secondary capacitance: 45,000uF
Output Devices: 12 per channel

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #50 on: April 26, 2010, 07:10:32 PM »
thanks.  I go DAC->Power Amp, so there isn't anything to play with or any bass crossover besides the built in sub crossover, which I am skeptical about.  I have been thinnk of getting a single rack space crossover so I can more professionally control the sub.   I really like the direct signal path of dac, direct to the amp, but I would like to be able to bypass the sub crossover and  controll the volume.  Other than foobar, I have no easy way to change volume.  If you do decide to get rid of the 970, let me know, I might be able to make good use of it.
ive kicked around a cross-over too, but i need a bunch of other shit first.  first thing is a new sub, this is getting rave reviews, and the price is right.  http://www.rythmikaudio.com/products.html

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #51 on: April 26, 2010, 07:54:00 PM »
Good info, thanks for the heads up.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #52 on: October 28, 2013, 03:18:09 PM »
Wow this place looks different than those old images.  Ill try to update this thread then.  Its a full on mixdown studio now.  The playback seen here is still what I use while not mixing or doing critical listening, but I now have a second system in place too that is strictly mixing....

be back soon.

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #53 on: October 28, 2013, 06:06:25 PM »
Wow this place looks different than those old images.  Ill try to update this thread then.

Good. We've come to expect pics with each of your posts. Don't let this happen again.  ;)
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #54 on: October 29, 2013, 06:28:55 PM »
I look forward to updated photos.  Really excited to see someone I know make a living off of their passion.   I proud and envious of ya Jim!  Great job!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #55 on: October 29, 2013, 06:30:16 PM »
Thanks Mike! 

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline phil_er_up

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: November 01, 2013, 04:08:51 PM »
Nice work jim,

Did you create graphs and attack the room where your frequencies dipped or were accented?
Thanks

Patrick
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 04:11:20 PM by phil_er_up »
Everyday is a gift. Enjoy each one!
Forward motion bring positive results.

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #57 on: November 01, 2013, 06:12:31 PM »
Thanks!  Yes sort of, we used smart and followed the graphs till we optimized the FR of the room as close to flat as possible.  It still has a few spots that peak and valley, but they are small and not were anyone sits to listen.  In the end the only spot that matters is the mix position, but I wanted the whole room to sound good so I could have a client here and they hear what I do.  Plus i have a few engineers who use the studio and I wanted it sound good from me as I was not the one mixing, I am greedy like that.  JonO and I spent a bunch of time with smart, an Earthworks M30, and panels/traps moving all around the room.  I now have a few suspended from the ceiling too, which made a massive difference, more than I expected.  But the changes are more than that too, I cut a hole in my desk so i could drop the monitor down into it giving me an unobstructed listening seat and removing one more sound issue.  I also have absorption across the desk top now too to help end that reflection as well. 

I am pretty busy finishing editing a wedding now, once I am done Ill clean up and take photos.
« Last Edit: November 01, 2013, 06:16:05 PM by Jimna »

Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com