Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: diy passive preamp  (Read 3653 times)

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
diy passive preamp
« on: January 10, 2014, 07:57:50 PM »
just finished this up.  was in a old metal case i picked up for dirt cheap and liked the wiring diagram.  plenty of inputs with bi amping capability.  it alos had a tape loop or bi pass switch that made the pre just a switch box, of course while wiring the new pre and writing down where to solder all the wires, i must of wrote down some wrong directions for the switching part.  no biggie, everything is in there for me to try later on if i want. i just wired the volume control to work without the tape loop switch.   when i get my DAC with a volume contol then maybe ill try to wire the tape loop in.  other than that i dont think ill need it.   found the wooden box on ebay.  think they cigar boxes and jewelry boxes.  25 bucks.  plenty of sizes and wood choices to pick from.  very nice quality.  i added a set of rca,s to the front so i play my recorder after a show and not have to dig around the back of the unit.  came out pretty nice given i have no work bench and only a handfull of tools.  my whole system is just about hand built by me or friends, othe than the CD player and DAT i have hooked up.  really like having no " brand " name plates on things.  hope everyone is taking care of there play back systems this year!!    ed 

the wiring was pretty clean till i cut all the leads for the switch.  already have the holes drilled and rca,s in place so i left it as is.  its bugging the shit outta me, so im trying not to look inside the box to much!!!!lol
« Last Edit: January 10, 2014, 08:00:05 PM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: diy passive preamp
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 02:12:36 PM »
just finished this up.  was in a old metal case i picked up for dirt cheap and liked the wiring diagram.  plenty of inputs with bi amping capability.  it alos had a tape loop or bi pass switch that made the pre just a switch box, of course while wiring the new pre and writing down where to solder all the wires, i must of wrote down some wrong directions for the switching part.  no biggie, everything is in there for me to try later on if i want. i just wired the volume control to work without the tape loop switch.   when i get my DAC with a volume contol then maybe ill try to wire the tape loop in.  other than that i dont think ill need it.   found the wooden box on ebay.  think they cigar boxes and jewelry boxes.  25 bucks.  plenty of sizes and wood choices to pick from.  very nice quality.  i added a set of rca,s to the front so i play my recorder after a show and not have to dig around the back of the unit.  came out pretty nice given i have no work bench and only a handfull of tools.  my whole system is just about hand built by me or friends, othe than the CD player and DAT i have hooked up.  really like having no " brand " name plates on things.  hope everyone is taking care of there play back systems this year!!    ed 

the wiring was pretty clean till i cut all the leads for the switch.  already have the holes drilled and rca,s in place so i left it as is.  its bugging the shit outta me, so im trying not to look inside the box to much!!!!lol
You should get some copper shielding tape to shield the box. I would also use shielded cable everywhere.
for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline ero3030

• Trade Count: (59)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2014, 04:30:46 AM »
i use 30 ga solid silver wire in a same size Teflon tube.  been using that wire combo for my late few projects and have them threw out my whole system.  a very low watt single ended tube amp and alittle bigger push pull also.  maybe alittle cell interference from the kids once in awhile but dint ever get any problems..  i did buy copper braided techflex had some troubles solidering around the input selector i ended up stripping all the wire  prepped hot glue, tech-flexed, and heat shrink all around.  looked great but was going to be really stuffed in there. 
from what i read 30 gauge isnt used by a whole lot of guys.i went this route because of getting into tubes years back and did alot of reading and was hopping to get something from it. solid silver from beginning to the end and mostly small gauge wire.  it seemed like a fit for my lessening taste and doable alot by me.    turmed out to be a perfect fit.  i had a part in building just about every piece in the system stating with a single driver fostex set up, killer sound for the price and to get started into the single driver world.  finally got the last single driver speaker set up ill ever buy.  a DR. friend of mine and who is great working with wood built me a set  Brines Acoustic cabinets  in a TL design.  with Lowther DX3 drivers.  couldnt be happier and fit and finish and sound.  he used a African burell walnut veneer wood on the outside and added a walnut face plate and base plate with isolation spikes from Timber Nation, here in PA..  check him out. the best Audio racks, and killer isolation platforms if u r into that sorts stuff.   maple iso plates,  real popular with audio nuts.    and did it all for about the cost of the Drivers alone.  still thanking him!!!
anyway, back to the point,i did make my decisions based or real  info and paid off!!,  also,  deff not for everyone, so i am thanking Chris for the info, and for most people or peoples on this board, thats info they should follow.   wish i had the room to make a work bench area for myseld.. things would get don way faster and deff look better.  i have crap everyehere till i get a projuct done then start another.  picking up a USB DAC from Ross Martin,  great products and prices,  and fits right into my all hand made set up and big "Brand " names.
cant wait to get all the HD's rolling.  been Ripping all the wives CD's,  set up will be done AND clutter free.  been waiting awhile to say that.  hope everyone is putting some time into there playback system this winter.. great time to do it.   ed
« Last Edit: January 13, 2014, 04:39:25 AM by ero3030 »
needin some fishhead music!

" known for f**king up a good weekend on a Thursday nite "

Online Phil Zone

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2014, 02:14:37 PM »
To make a headphone amp like this what kind of wire should I use?
Microphones: AKG 460B, 480B, Naiant Actives,CK1,CK61,CK62,CK63, CK69, Busman BSC-1, CA-14
Preamps: Naiant Littlebox, Naiant Tinyhead
Recorders: Zoom F6, Tascam DR-05

LMA Shows: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22Cam%20Keough%22&sort=-date

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2014, 12:17:15 AM »

You should get some copper shielding tape to shield the box. I would also use shielded cable everywhere.

qft
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com