Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Aligning WAVs w/Audacity  (Read 5696 times)

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Aligning WAVs w/Audacity
« Reply #15 on: April 08, 2004, 12:53:43 PM »
Second, in the example you suggested, you said you were making as many as three cuts per song. OK, that's fine if you are splicing the track that is mixed lower, but in my case the track I need to alter is the "good" one and when i get them aligned, i will mix the "bad" one down to inaudible, so I don't think that method will be as desirable, as the cuts could become much more noticable without the other track to wash them out.

i see your point as well.  you're taking a video track as your base sync track (this can't be altered) and you want to sync an alternate audio to it.  i've done this as well.

in this case, i choose my splice locations very carefully.  i can recommend few places where splices will be masked:

1. very even audience noise. (works extremely well when sliding a splice forward).
2. few samples just before a cymbal crash. (this works particullary well when you're sliding the splice (<<) forward (shortening), because the cymbal will overlap just a few thousanth of a second of music prior to the cymbal).  this method works well even when you slide the splice (>>) backwards (lengthening) since you really can't detect a few thousandth second silence.
3. other similar loud/short transient attacks will also work.

also, if i really have no choice but to use time shift, i would apply it to a very short portion of the audience noise and never over the music.  it's extremely difficult to tell if a 1/2 second portion of the audience noise has been shortened or lengthened by 1-2%.

This is a great thread, guys.

i hear ya!! +t for the good discussion.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:Aligning WAVs w/Audacity
« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2004, 11:21:09 PM »
more about that here
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.188 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com