Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Eco-charge EC-90 Battery Replacement Is it doable ?  (Read 9135 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Eco-charge EC-90 Battery Replacement Is it doable ?
« on: July 11, 2014, 11:22:15 AM »
Sorry if this has been covered before but the only thread I could find on it was Daves archive on how to replace the battery on a BP-50.

Is replacing the SLA on an EC-90 doable ? And if so are there any instructions or is it the same as the BP-50 ? I have 3 2 stopped taking a charge so I would like to see about getting them back up and running.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Eco-charge EC-90 Battery Replacement Is it doable ?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2014, 01:41:55 PM »
I don't believe you can swap the SLA as the original has circuitry inside for smart charging, etc. I may be wrong though.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 03:49:07 AM »
It might be backwards engineered and doable. Was the old bp50 replaceable? It sounds doable but I have never done it.
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2014, 11:35:11 AM »
Ok so I decided to just go for it and see whats under the hood. I figured since 2 of the 3 were dead and one of them has been out of commission for a while it wasn't going to hurt anything if i broke it etc

So using a putty knife I was able to get between the top housing and battery. Once a gave it a little pry here and here I was able to pry it off by hand.

This is what it looks like underneath

It looks like I should be able to simply swap the battery. Thoughts ?

AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2014, 03:14:09 PM »
I found this info on the Eco Charge web site.:
EC-90 BATTERY SPECIFICATIONS
• 12V, 7.2A/h
• Dimensions: 6" x 2.75" x 5"
• Weight: 5.5 lbs.

I thihk Eddie once told me you could buy "replacements" from Grainger. We may have a Grainger account at work, I will check if you think that helps.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2014, 09:54:25 PM »
You should be able to swap the SLA itself with any SLA 12V 7.2 battery (possibly even a higher capacity such as a 8.0 Ah battery)

The specs of the battery should be under the Ecocharge sticker - I swapped the older style 12V a number of times without issue
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #6 on: July 14, 2014, 01:24:03 PM »
OK So heres the deal. I got an e-mail back from eco-charge. Company has been closed since 2004 BUT he did say that I should be able to swap the battery out. He sent me a link to a replacement. I asked if it would be ok to post. He asked me to just verify the battery fits as its been 10 years and he doesn't know if the form factor has changed.

I am going to order the battery and see whats what.

Offline Cobiwan

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: July 14, 2014, 02:29:27 PM »
Good to know. I swapped out the SLA on my BP-50 and wasn't sure if it was possible on the EC-90 due to the smart charger being built in.
"Without music, life would be a mistake."
Friedrich Nietzsche

Mics:
2 matched pairs of Oktava MK-012 MSP6 with Bill Sitler mod + cardioid, hyper-cardioid, and omni capsules
Church Audio CA-14 omni/UBB
Sonic Studios DSM-6S
Recorders:
Tascam HD-P2, Tascam DR-680, Zoom F-8
Cables:
Gakables XLR, S/PDIF, battery and umbrella, DigiGal AES > S/PDIF, Darktrain hot swap battery

Member of DiGiHoArDeRs

markrsmith

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #8 on: July 14, 2014, 09:57:01 PM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-SONIC-PS-1270-12-Volt-SLA-Battery-NEW-/400590357145?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item5d450bc299

power sonic batteries fit perfect.  I have replaced a few and use the heck out of them.  The electronics convert the dual outputs...but you do need a special cable 3-pin xlr-f to xlr-m cable. It is a weird pin/cable arrangement.  took me a couple of times to figure it out.  if you ever want  to sell one of your eco-charge "tops", please let me know I would pay you whatever you want for them.  Great batteries, just a "little Heavy".
« Last Edit: July 14, 2014, 11:29:40 PM by markrsmith »

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2014, 08:54:18 AM »
http://www.ebay.com/itm/POWER-SONIC-PS-1270-12-Volt-SLA-Battery-NEW-/400590357145?pt=US_Rechargeable_Batteries&hash=item5d450bc299

power sonic batteries fit perfect.  I have replaced a few and use the heck out of them.  The electronics convert the dual outputs...but you do need a special cable 3-pin xlr-f to xlr-m cable. It is a weird pin/cable arrangement.  took me a couple of times to figure it out.  if you ever want  to sell one of your eco-charge "tops", please let me know I would pay you whatever you want for them.  Great batteries, just a "little Heavy".

Nice. I have all the cables etc as I have been using these batteries for a looooong time. I guess that just goes to show that these werent the cheapest things in the world but they lasted. I think the one I still have that works has to be atleast 10 years old. same for the others. one died a year or so back and the other just recently. from the battery you linked the replacement I got should fit. I don't mind the weight so much. One of these things runs my HD-P2 for a very long time. I just figured since I had these lying around and I have a festival coming up I should see about getting them up and running. and for less than $20 for the replacements a lot cheaper than switching to dvd or other options for the time being.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #10 on: July 16, 2014, 01:23:55 AM »
I frickin loved my old Eco-Charge BP50 batteries. They would power my old DMIC-20 and Sony D8 for like 8 hours. It powered me through the WHOLE midnight to sunrise set Phish played at the Y2K in the Everglades :) I used to own (4) BP50s and (4) chargers, and I ALWAYS had them connected to a charger, so that they we're always at maximum capacity and also made the batteries last forever. I used and ran BP50s from 1997 through 2005 and they never let me down. Killer batteries and worth the weight!!! :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline kindms

• The Breakfast
« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2014, 10:05:03 AM »
Ok so the batteries arrived on friday right before I left work. The suggested replacement battery from eco-charge is the:

Panasonic LC-R127R2P Black Large 12V 7.2Ah VRLA Battery with F1 Terminal

Now it turns out that the supplier sent me the F2 terminal version. so the terminal spades were much larger than the original eco-charge. But no biggie I made it work. just had to pinch the connectors a little to make them a tad wider. But the form factor etc is spot on and it is the exact battery that the original eco-charge batteries were using. I added a little silicon adhesive to under the caps and pushed them back on. Below you can see the two batteries that have been brought back from the dead

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.084 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com