Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Naiant Pipsqueak vs Tinybox  (Read 4044 times)

Offline whiskybob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Naiant Pipsqueak vs Tinybox
« on: August 01, 2014, 09:04:01 AM »
Hi,

I was looking to buy a Naiant tinyhead because two good taper friends use one and for the money they do a great job. When I went to bite the bullet I see that they no longer make them and
the only other pre apart from the Tinybox is Pipsqueak, does anyone know if this is a new version of Tinyhead. I'm running CA11 Omnis.

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm used to running my mics via a 9V batt box and line in on the Sony M10 which is as simple as it gets.

On the Naiant site there's a drop box for input which says plug in power mini jack and High impedance mini jack.....Can someone explain what's the difference

secondly what is channel gain trim offset and do I need it for any particular purpose.

I do apologise for what are very basic questions but I'm a basic kinda chap......Has anyone used one of these? and if so how does it compare to the tinyhead

Thanks in advance
Edirol R09HR   Sony M10 
CA14 Omni's  CA14 Cards  
CA11 Omni's CA 1's  CS Binaurials
CA9100 Pre-amp CA Batt Box

Cambridge Audio Azur640Amp  Cambridge Audio Azur 640 Cd Player
Cambridge Audio 640Pre amp  Marantz Turntable TT-44  Denon t1800 Tuner
Aiwa AD-S950 tape deck  Yamaha K-939 Tape Deck

Severely outdated trade list
http://db.etree.org/oddball

Offline vanark

• TDS
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • If you ain't right, you better get right!
    • The Mudboy Grotto - North Mississippi Allstar fan site
Re: Naiant Pipsqueak vs Tinybox
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2014, 09:14:09 AM »
There is a Pipsqueak thread here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=166958.0

If you have questions after that, I'm sure Jon Stoppable would answer them if you emailed him.
If you have a problem relating to the Live Music Archive (http://www.archive.org/details/etree) please send an e-mail to us admins at LMA(AT)archive(DOT)org or post in the LMA thread here and we'll get on it.

Link to LMA Recordings

Link to Team Dirty South Recordings on the LMA

Mics: Microtech Gefell M21 (with Nbob actives) | Church Audio CA-11 (cards) (with CA UBB)
Pres: babynbox
Recorders: Tascam DR-60D | Tascam DR-40 | Sony PCM-A10 | Edirol R-4

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2014, 09:18:48 AM »
Pip is for plug in power mics only
Tb is more customizable and allows for 48v, actives, plug in
Neither is the TH

The normal input is fine. I don't really know how to explain the difference though.
I believe The channel trim is designed to adjust the levels if the mics are not "matched". I doubt you need it and can be done in post but wouldn't hurt to have

If you never plan on using mics that require different power then the pip is good for you
If you think you might get different mics then the tb is a smarter move as it will allow multi configs in one
« Last Edit: August 01, 2014, 09:25:29 AM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2014, 10:01:32 AM »
Hi,

I was looking to buy a Naiant tinyhead because two good taper friends use one and for the money they do a great job. When I went to bite the bullet I see that they no longer make them and
the only other pre apart from the Tinybox is Pipsqueak, does anyone know if this is a new version of Tinyhead. I'm running CA11 Omnis.

Please excuse my ignorance but I'm used to running my mics via a 9V batt box and line in on the Sony M10 which is as simple as it gets.

On the Naiant site there's a drop box for input which says plug in power mini jack and High impedance mini jack.....Can someone explain what's the difference

secondly what is channel gain trim offset and do I need it for any particular purpose.

I do apologise for what are very basic questions but I'm a basic kinda chap......Has anyone used one of these? and if so how does it compare to the tinyhead

Thanks in advance

I believe Jon will still make you a Tinyhead upon request, he made one for me not long ago, email him and ask.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #4 on: August 01, 2014, 10:29:33 AM »
Pipsqueak is designed specifically for this application.

Select the plug in power mini jack option.

The channel gain trim offset allows for balancing the gain across both channels to acommodate a pair of microphones which has less than perfectly matched sensitivities.  It's like the balance control on your stereo, adjust it one time so levels are equal across both channels with the microphones you are using and you'll not need to re-adjust it again unless you switch to using a different pair of mics. 

Seperately, you can switch the overal gain for both channels as required depending on the SPL level of what you are recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline whiskybob

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2014, 11:23:36 AM »
Many Thanks, just read through the pipsqueak thread (all 11 pages).

Edirol R09HR   Sony M10 
CA14 Omni's  CA14 Cards  
CA11 Omni's CA 1's  CS Binaurials
CA9100 Pre-amp CA Batt Box

Cambridge Audio Azur640Amp  Cambridge Audio Azur 640 Cd Player
Cambridge Audio 640Pre amp  Marantz Turntable TT-44  Denon t1800 Tuner
Aiwa AD-S950 tape deck  Yamaha K-939 Tape Deck

Severely outdated trade list
http://db.etree.org/oddball

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com