Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Just bought a Shure FP24 - some questions  (Read 18480 times)

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Just bought a Shure FP24 - some questions
« Reply #30 on: September 19, 2014, 06:58:59 PM »
I did a run test today with my new Panasonic eneloop AA batteries. Running the FP24 at 3/4 gain, led on low & 414's I got 5:41 before it died. I'm extremely pleased with that performance, more than I'll ever need for the typical show & without having to swap batteries or turning the preamp off in between set. For $30 on amazon with a smart charger I think the eneloops are a great deal.

That's outstanding performance, especially considering the 414 draws 4.5 mA!  Are these regular Eneloop (white label) or the higher-capaciy Eneloop XX (black label)?  The tradeoff with the high-mAh XX is shorter life expectancy from what I understand.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #31 on: September 19, 2014, 07:42:50 PM »
They are the black eneloop pro's. Four AA batteries & charger for $30 on Amazon.
Btw, I don't know if my FP24 has had the battery spring replaced/repaired but the rechargeables worked fine without any trimming to the batteries or mods.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00JHKSL1O/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
« Last Edit: September 19, 2014, 07:45:49 PM by carlbeck »
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Online voltronic

« Reply #32 on: September 19, 2014, 07:54:48 PM »
Mine needed the battery mod.  I think if you have a hirose power connector then you have the later revision which also has the different battery spring.  My power connector is the older barrel type.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #33 on: September 19, 2014, 07:58:29 PM »
Mine needed the battery mod.  I think if you have a hirose power connector then you have the later revision which also has the different battery spring.  My power connector is the older barrel type.
Mine is the old barrel type as well, no problems with the batteries.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Online voltronic

« Reply #34 on: September 19, 2014, 09:06:04 PM »
That's outstanding performance, especially considering the 414 draws 4.5 mA!  Are these regular Eneloop (white label) or the higher-capaciy Eneloop XX (black label)?  The tradeoff with the high-mAh XX is shorter life expectancy from what I understand.

2x NiMH AA @ 2.5Ah = 6Wh

2x 48V *4.5mA = 432mW, round up to 0.5W for conversion losses.

So about six hour runtime means the box was burning 1W, half was for phantom, half for the box.  Runtime with no phantom load should be about 12 hours.

Please pardon my ignorance and limited math skills - how do you determine the 2 AA's at 2.5Ah ea. come out to 6Wh?  The rest of it I understand.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Online voltronic

« Reply #35 on: September 19, 2014, 10:54:33 PM »
They are 1.2V nominal, so that's 2 * 1.2V * 2.5Ah = 6Wh

Got it - thanks.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #36 on: September 20, 2014, 01:42:43 PM »
I can confirm that the black Eneloop XX batteries will have a shorter lifespan than regular Eneloops.
We've done extensive rechargeable battery tests, and have found that the regular eneloops offer some of the best value/$$$.  The XX's are great too, just know that you'll get far less cycles out of them before they refuse to recharge.

I still love my FP24 / MixPre for it's size, quality, powering, and features!

Online voltronic

« Reply #37 on: September 20, 2014, 01:57:15 PM »
I can confirm that the black Eneloop XX batteries will have a shorter lifespan than regular Eneloops.
We've done extensive rechargeable battery tests, and have found that the regular eneloops offer some of the best value/$$$.  The XX's are great too, just know that you'll get far less cycles out of them before they refuse to recharge.

Right, the XX are only rated for 500 cycles.  I could probably record 2 full concerts on one set though.  For now, I think I might stick with the old ones I have, as I've done a couple more runtime tests and get a solid 3:20-3:30 each time before they start to give out.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #38 on: September 21, 2014, 06:30:20 AM »

Agreed, they are "only" rated for 500 cycles. I was willing to trade that for higher capacity since the reality of me doing 500 shows with one set of batteries is highly unlikely. Maybe if I was allowed out of the house more  :P

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Online voltronic

« Reply #39 on: September 26, 2014, 01:27:22 PM »
Since the next thing I'm recording is a long recital with a long sound check before, I picked up a set of the Duracells I mentioned before, which are supposedly re-branded Eneloop XX's.  Just finished a run test with same parameters, and I got to 5 hours 57 minutes before the squealing of low battery crept into the recording.  That sealed the deal for me on going with internal rechargeables, as did the price - only $13 for a 4-pack with charger at the local grocery store:
http://www.duracell.com/en-us/products/battery-chargers/duracell-ion-speed-1000-battery-charger
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.108 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com