Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Cell phone battery chargers?  (Read 2681 times)

Offline travelinbeat

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
Cell phone battery chargers?
« on: September 26, 2014, 10:10:09 AM »
Hey guys just curious if anyone has some insights to offer regarding external cell-phone battery chargers.  I am interested in something roughly the size of a pack cigarettes (or ideally, even smaller).  I would love something that can take my Galaxy S3 from dead to 100% (or ideally, do so multiple times), but perhaps most importantly, something that I can charge once, and leave in my backpack for a couple of months without having the device drain power (as I know so many rechargeable batteries are prone to do).

I know the price range for these things is all over the map, and while I'd love something not too terribly expensive, I don't want something that can't hold a charge for more than a couple of weeks.

Thanks in advance for your help!
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline Gene Poole

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Cell phone battery chargers?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2014, 10:40:02 AM »
Most of the reasonably priced units on ebay or amazon use Chinese LiIon cells which are a crap-shoot on quality.  I just bought one of these a few months back:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/191209485956

After testing, I decided to buy another.

They come without cells so you can buy some decent Japanese made Panasonics or equivalent.  Also, if you have an old laptop battery or two(they almost all use 18650 LiIon cells), they usually still have mostly good cells inside and only one or two bad ones cause the whole pack to stop working properly.  Recycle the good cells!

I use these to power my portable gear when recording and I've never tried them to see how quickly they will charge a dead cell phone, but I do know that they will hold 90% or more of their charge for 3 or 4 weeks (with good quality cells).  The phone was in "airplane" mode and stayed 100% charged the whole show.

One of these (here barely visible sandwiched between the cell phone and the preamp) powered all my gear (which included my Nexus5 Android) for an 8 hour gig and still had 50% charge when I packed up.

Offline Falconidave

• Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "I went to too many concerts" said no one ever!
Re: Cell phone battery chargers?
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2014, 06:56:53 PM »
This is bad ass Mo Fo right here:

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00MQSMEEE/ref=pe_385040_121528360_TE_dp_1

And only like $37 and free shipping.
Mics: Schoeps MK41; AT853(3-wire)(c,o); AT943(3-wire)(c,o); AT933(3-wire)(c,o); Shure 185(c); Sony ECM-166BMP (o); Sony ECM-166BC (c).
Interconnects: NBob Actives
Preamps: BabyNbox v2
Recorders: Sony PCM-A10(2); Sony PCM-M10; Edirol R-09HR; Sony MZ-RH1
Video: Panasonic HDC-TM700 HD; Panasonic Lumix GX85; Panasonic Lumix DMC ZS100; Canon PowerShot SX50 HD; Sony DSC-HX50V

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com