Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AT853 and Phantom Power--clarification  (Read 12745 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re:AT853 and Phantom Power--clarification
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2004, 02:55:38 AM »
you can mod the mics anywhere on thier cables

all you do is add mini-xlr connections to the cables, which you can also add to the cut off cable that has the 1/8" miniplug on it. so then if you wanted to run phantom, just unplug the mini-xlrs and plug them into the power adapter/mic pre w/ 48v phantom

you wouldnt need the samson adapters if you chose to run the battery box, so you wouldnt ned to mod them

hope im of help, i dont own any of these mics currently and have never modded or owned modded ones, just info from what ive read

Offline Sean Gallemore

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2004, 03:25:06 AM »
ok, you put mini-xlr connectors on the end of each mic.  The mini-xlr will plug straight into the adapters providing phantom.  Then make a dual mini-xlr > single 1/8" mini adapter cable.  This will allow the mini-xlr ends to be converted into a single 1/8" output, just as you had before.

SP will do this for $100 but they might use different connectors, instead of the mini-xlrs.

Hoyt and leegeddy have done this mod themselves, maybe they can post pics or add a link.  Either way, it's not that difficult and it would be something I would try if I ever considered going back to battery power (which I wouldn't)

Offline dano420

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #17 on: April 13, 2004, 05:10:43 PM »
FWIW, I bought the phantom power modules from SP about 5-6 months ago and they are indeed genuine AT phantom modules. I mod'ed my setup with mini-xlr's to use both phantom and the 1/8" plug. I must say that it works great! Here's a picture. Peace

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: April 13, 2004, 06:17:25 PM »
FWIW, I bought the phantom power modules from SP about 5-6 months ago and they are indeed genuine AT phantom modules. I mod'ed my setup with mini-xlr's to use both phantom and the 1/8" plug. I must say that it works great! Here's a picture. Peace

dano;

just out of curiosity, have you ran your setup WITH phantom power yet?  i hate to say that it looks impossible with the setup in that photo.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #19 on: April 13, 2004, 06:37:02 PM »
I was about to ask how you got away with one mini XLR for two channels? But maybe he didn't get away with it...
AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline dano420

• Taperssection Regular
  • llama I am...
« Reply #20 on: April 13, 2004, 06:50:15 PM »
Yes, I have used it and it works flawlessly (and sounds WAY better than the SP batt box). XLR has three connections, a "+" or hot, a "-" or drain and a ground. The ground is a shared common so what I did was use a 5 pin mini-xlr and wired it "+" to "+", "-" to "-" and shared the common ground on the 5th pin. It works.

Another side note, the mic2496 comes standard with a 5-pin mini-xlr input. So as it sits stock, it also shares the 5th pin common ground.
« Last Edit: April 13, 2004, 06:52:21 PM by dano420 »

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: April 13, 2004, 07:02:42 PM »
Yes, I have used it and it works flawlessly (and sounds WAY better than the SP batt box). XLR has three connections, a "+" or hot, a "-" or drain and a ground. The ground is a shared common so what I did was use a 5 pin mini-xlr and wired it "+" to "+", "-" to "-" and shared the common ground on the 5th pin. It works.

Another side note, the mic2496 comes standard with a 5-pin mini-xlr input. So as it sits stock, it also shares the 5th pin common ground.

ahh, a 5 pinner!!  that would explain it.  i assumed that you were using a 3pinner.

+t for the mod.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline Karl

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: April 13, 2004, 07:05:13 PM »
Sweet.  When I get some time in the next few weeks, I'm going to break out the soldering iron and get to work.  I have been a little unhappy with the tonal quality of my mics, but hearing that phantom power helps out gives me hope.  Thanks a bunch guys, and plus t's as soon as I get 50 posts!
My portable rig:

AT853>Zoom F6

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #23 on: April 14, 2004, 01:08:55 PM »
those mini-connectors are sweet, saves some space, thanx for the pics and the feedback
+

Offline hoyt

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • http://www.the-hoyts.com
« Reply #24 on: April 14, 2004, 08:27:49 PM »
Hoyt and leegeddy have done this mod themselves, maybe they can post pics or add a link.  Either way, it's not that difficult and it would be something I would try if I ever considered going back to battery power (which I wouldn't)

Yup: http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?board=3;action=display;threadid=15247;start=msg196993#msg196993

All in all it doesn't take long to do it yourself.  The real pain is soldering with the tiny mini-xlrs terminals.

--hoyt
dpa4028/4023/4011er > sx-m2d2/ sx-r4+

Offline WizDawg

• Taperssection Newbie
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #25 on: April 15, 2004, 10:20:04 PM »
Hello,

I have a Samson Mixpad 4.   I was wondering if I could use AT853s with the Mixpad Phantom option.

Thanks,
Mike

Offline Sean Gallemore

« Reply #26 on: April 16, 2004, 12:19:53 AM »
yep

Offline mattb

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Yo.
    • Matt's Page
« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2004, 12:32:01 AM »
Alright. Got my 933s done. Went with the dual mini xlrs and Samson adaptors. The hardest part was reading the little numbers by the pins on that connector. Thanks to leggedy, my last-minute fears were overcome and they seem to work. Now I just need to build the adaptor to still be able to use the BB - oh and some music to tape...

AT933s (C/H/O) > AT8531s > UA-5 > H120 (Rockboxed)

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #28 on: May 01, 2004, 08:59:52 PM »
So if I am reading this right, I should be able to take a pair of 853's (that were not sp mod'd) build up a minixlr to stereo mini and I would be able to use batt box or phantom?  
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #29 on: May 03, 2004, 12:00:02 PM »
Got a lot of AT853's offa an auction (they used to be choir mics) that are coming with transformers.  Hoping that I will be able to make a cable to go from the at853's to plug power... Does anyone have the pinouts from the original mics?  Don't wanna let the smoke out of em   ::)
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com