Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: external power for AD-20  (Read 1884 times)

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
external power for AD-20
« on: April 12, 2004, 04:45:56 PM »
been searching through the archives and can't seem to find an answer.  also i'm very new to building power supplies and will need someone to hold my hand through this.
i don't want to keep purchasing 9v batts and am not sure i want to go the route of internal rechargeables...
so has anyone made/used an external power source for the Denecke AD-20 (Zefiro Inbox) and how did you do it?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
Re:external power for AD-20
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2004, 05:49:13 PM »
I haven't done it because I don't own one, Simp, but given the broad voltage range supported (5.5v - 25v) and the minimal current draw (50mA), it'll be a breeze to put together a compact, long-lasting external power source.

Personally, I think NiMH 9.6v RC batts would be a great way to go.  Even a small 1000 mAH RC batt will give you ~20 theoretical hours of recording time.

There are some pretty good instructions with pics in the Archival Forum:

http://www.taperssection.com/reference/html/DIY_EdirolUA5Power/
http://home.att.net/~joemacjr/diyproject/soldering.html

The differences for your application will be:

[1] no real need to wire two batts in parallel since you'll get such ridiculously long run-time off a single battery
[2] instead of the adaptaplug connector, you'll use whatever connector and pinout the AD20 requires (mono 3.5mm male connector, tip (+), ring (-) if memory serves)

Curious to see if anyone's done this for the AD20 before...   :)
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
Re:external power for AD-20
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2004, 05:14:29 PM »
I used to have an AD-20 a couple of years ago. I powered it and my D8 from one 6v 4.5Ah SLA. I didn't build this system...the SLA was purchased from Cascade Media (via Pro Digital)....and I had the cable (3 pin mini xlr -> 3.5mm + Sony proprietary plug) made by Masterpiece AV if I remember correctly. I never tested it to see how long it would power both for. The longest I ever ran continuously for was ~ 4 hrs.

ymmv
cliff

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.034 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com