Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SF 11 Mixing sources  (Read 3579 times)

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
SF 11 Mixing sources
« on: June 08, 2015, 08:30:36 AM »
Did anyone create a tutorial on how to matrix with Sound Forge 11. I have two shows that I would like to work on.Thanks
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline johnfitz

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: SF 11 Mixing sources
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2015, 07:28:31 PM »
There is probably as better way to do it, but I found these instructions online and it does work...

1.   Load Sound Forge.
2.   Load File A.
3.   Load File B.
4.   On the main Sound Forge window menu bar, go to 'Window' (next to 'Help') and choose 'Tile Vertically' from the drop down list. You will now see both WAV files in separate windows next to each other.
5.   Double click on File A to select it all and go to Edit > Copy.
6.   Click and drag across File B to select the area you want to paste into.
7.   Go to Edit > Paste Special > Mix and you should see a Mix window appear.
8.   Then just adjust the faders to the levels that you wish the two files to mix together as.

Offline jmerin

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2015, 08:40:23 AM »
There is probably as better way to do it, but I found these instructions online and it does work...

1.   Load Sound Forge.
2.   Load File A.
3.   Load File B.
4.   On the main Sound Forge window menu bar, go to 'Window' (next to 'Help') and choose 'Tile Vertically' from the drop down list. You will now see both WAV files in separate windows next to each other.
5.   Double click on File A to select it all and go to Edit > Copy.
6.   Click and drag across File B to select the area you want to paste into.
7.   Go to Edit > Paste Special > Mix and you should see a Mix window appear.
8.   Then just adjust the faders to the levels that you wish the two files to mix together as.

Thanks!
Mics: Schoeps MK4's | Schoeps MK41's | Schoeps Mk21's
Pre-Amps: Schoeps VMS02ib | Nbox Platinum KCY
Cables: KCY 250/5 Ig (2)
Recorders: Sony M10  | Tascam 70D l Edirol R-44

Offline johnfitz

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: June 10, 2015, 08:56:01 PM »
Forgot to mention that to account for the time delay of the audience source what I do is figure the milisecond delay needed and cut that much from the beginning of the sounboard source.

Then when I paste the two sources together things line up quite nicely.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it but this way is really easy and works well for me.

It's amazing what a difference it makes in accounting for the delay even with the mics being as close as just 12-15 feet from the stage (haven't dealt with anything any closer)...

Offline ziko

• Trade Count: (28)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2015, 06:11:44 AM »
I am a adobe audition 3.0 user. FWIW i usually check for phase issues too. somebody with more insight about these could explain but i know at times i have to switch the phase and it can make it go from okay to crisp

Offline Life In Rewind

• Taperssection Member
    • www.rovingsign.com
« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2015, 09:24:29 AM »
I am a adobe audition 3.0 user. FWIW i usually check for phase issues too. somebody with more insight about these could explain but i know at times i have to switch the phase and it can make it go from okay to crisp

I've wondered about phase in matrixing also.

Is there an inherent phase relationship between the two stereo pairs?

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2015, 02:55:42 PM »
I've wondered about phase in matrixing also.

Is there an inherent phase relationship between the two stereo pairs?

Checking phase is critical when mixing two sources and absolutely must not be skipped.

It's also important to know if your stereo rig produces the correct or inverted phase, even if you't not mixing down multiple sources. There are many commonly used pieces of equipment that can create a phase inversion including the early models of the V3, all AD2k+ units, and the original Reutelhuber / Nbox setup. Listening to an inverted phase recording may not sound audibly different at first, but there subtle differences with particular instruments and/or playback equipment.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2015, 04:49:43 PM »
I run a r-44, and I have one pair if mics 180' out of phase with the other.

It helps monitoring the pairs' levels, because my headphones put out less low frequencies when the pairs are summed.

"The boom is already coming from the room, why would I want more boom in my ears" is my take on monitoring this way.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline gratefulphish

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Gone Tapin'
« Reply #8 on: June 16, 2015, 12:45:29 AM »
Forgot to mention that to account for the time delay of the audience source what I do is figure the milisecond delay needed and cut that much from the beginning of the sounboard source.

Then when I paste the two sources together things line up quite nicely.

I'm sure there are other ways to do it but this way is really easy and works well for me.

It's amazing what a difference it makes in accounting for the delay even with the mics being as close as just 12-15 feet from the stage (haven't dealt with anything any closer)...

Yes, you have to do that, but if you don't have your two sources digitally clocked or on the same deck, then you probably will have to deal with clock drift as you go along.  I find that I sometimes need to start "re-aligning" the tracks about 20 minutes in.  I do this by cutting a few milliseconds of silence from the track that has fallen behind, and then check things again another 20 minutes in.
4 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>SD 722   2 channel: Neumann TLM-170R>Segue Dogstar>Lunatec V3>SD 722
               Linked to Lunatec V3>MT 24/96                                     (Hi-Ho Silver Interconnects)     

Other gear: AKG C451Es, Tascam DA-P1, Sony D-8

Offline Andrea82

• Taperssection Regular
    • The 1st and only italian site about Eric Clapton
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2015, 12:03:00 PM »
I use Soundforge and I want to try a matrix with the step by step I found here (thanks johnfitz).
But I want to ask how to do for align the sources at the same millisecond?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.088 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com