Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Acoustic Research The Table  (Read 10761 times)

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Acoustic Research The Table
« on: November 29, 2015, 12:45:22 AM »
I just received my new toy the other day and have been busy cleaning it up and bringing it back to its glory. I've done a few mods to it, however, it came to me already a bit hot rodded with a Vinyl Nirvana motor, spikes and RCA plugs installed. I had to do a bit of work cleaning up the plinth, relubing, polishing the subplatter and platter, applying multiple coats of tung oil and adding some shrink tube to the arm tube. I also buffed out the dust cover and threw on an older AT cartridge. I have to say it looks and sounds nice. Almost as nice as my $5,000 rig. I could live with and be very happy with this rig.

Back in the mid to late 80's this was the table I wanted. This was before the internet and since there were no AR dealers around me I ended up buying a Dual CS5000. Well, this week my fortunes have change and i stumbled across this one. My plan is to continue to tweak it out. I'm going to make a bottom for it and also replace the tonearm board with a carbon fiber board. I will also add some damping material to the metal part of the plinth, too. (Thinking of making a carbon fiber plinth for the stock metal plate)

I'm still deciding on a budget cartridge for it and I might go with an Ortofon 2M red. I've read some nice things about that cartridge and might as well find out what all the fuss is about. I'mm running an Audio Technica PM7000, that sounds pretty good. I was also thinking about having it sprayed black at a car paint shop but the plinth is in pretty good shape and that would seem to be a shame. But after all the black carbon on it, this might be the way I go.

When all is said and done I'll be passing it on and will post it here. I keep everyone updated with the progress.

« Last Edit: November 29, 2015, 12:55:20 PM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Acoustic Research The Table
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2015, 10:19:19 PM »
Update already. I just ordered 24X24 1/4 plexiglass, which I will be making a bottom out of, as well as, 3 arm boards. One will be cut for the Linn arm and the other two I will leave blank for future use.

I'm still not sure on whether I will have it sprayed automotive black or leave the wood grain. Suggestion are welcomed.

Anyway, I've been listening to it and have been enjoying it. It really is a well balanced table and beats the snot out of the Rega P3 I had for as short while, both in sonics and build. Although, the RB300 is a better arm than the Linn arm. However, the mod I did to the Linn certainly brings it up a notch.

Listening and looking at this table, I can't help to think that I'm glad I didn't buy it back in 1987. If I did I may not have ever bought another table.

The Plexiglass should be to me in a week and by Christmas I should have everything cut and installed. I'll post pictures of the progress.

BTW, your opinion matters on the paint. Let me know what you think! I could even paint it Red or some other crazy color!

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2015, 09:39:34 AM »
leave the wood grain...while sharp colors can look incredible I feel most vinyl folks would prefer something more traditional for the long term.

Offline buckster

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2015, 11:36:44 AM »
I'm a long time audio gear geek; but unfortunately no wallet to match, so I have to live vicariously.  As such, I always enjoy reading your stuff here and thanks for posting pics. I think the wood is too classic; I "wood" keep it!  ;)

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2015, 05:24:42 PM »
Two for wood. It's going to be a tough call.....as I think black or red would look the business. Others?

mfrench

« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2015, 06:24:36 PM »
make that three for wood.

Are you ever going to try an idler?

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2015, 06:29:40 PM »
Four for the wood.  In a day and age where we're surrounded by black plastic (or other colors), she's a classic and looks great the way she is. 

Thanks for sharing, raymonda!

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2015, 07:49:34 PM »
This thread is all about the wood, man.....

Five for wood.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2015, 10:14:37 PM »
OK.....if I stay with wood I have got to put 20 coats of paste wax on it to get a real nice high gloss finish on it. The oil look is fine but I want  a shinny coat that hits you with a wow! With a buffed out platter and clear acrylic arm board and bottom that might go the distance. It will save me money but take much more muscle and time.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2015, 10:17:38 PM »
make that three for wood.

Are you ever going to try an idler?

I always wanted to try to mod an Empire, although that is a belt drive. That might be my next project. A modded out Empire with an SME 309 arm would be sweet.
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 10:43:02 PM by raymonda »

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: December 01, 2015, 10:57:47 PM »
Here's a shot of what a auto painted black table would look like. Now what do you think?
« Last Edit: December 01, 2015, 11:01:16 PM by raymonda »

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #11 on: December 02, 2015, 12:57:13 AM »
It looks really good but, IMHO, I like the wood better.  And irony of ironies, you can see the wood grain from the table mirrored in the shiny black finish so it still looks like wood, lol. 

If you prefer the black paint, then that's what you should go with.  It is your table after all and will be a beauty either way. :)

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #12 on: December 02, 2015, 01:01:05 AM »
I'm pretty stupid and even I say wood...

Terry
***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: December 02, 2015, 01:47:47 AM »
Well, either way I have to decide quickly. I don't want to do the mods.....put it back together and decide to paint it and have to take it apart again.

So, since in the end I will be passing it on, and the majority here likes the wood look.....and, I imagine that the sample here represent folks on audiogon, usaudiomart and audioasylum, then, wood is what it will be. However, I will need to poly or paste wax it. For it to look good oiled, it needs to be oiled often. I'm not into that.

I just order some dynamat to damp some strategic parts. I should have all the parts I need to get to work on this over the weekend and have in done in a week or two.

Meanwhile, I listening to it between other audio projects done in the digital domain. It is still pretty amazing how good this sounds in comparison to my reference. Most folks, with less than a super critical ear might not care either way......it is that close! However, the devil is in the details and that is where my reference beats it out but it is not a land slde, as it was with my Thorens TD166 MKII. And, I haven't even tried a really good cartridge on it yet.

Now I know why Sam Tellig has kept his for 30 some odd years and believes he doesn't need more.

mfrench

« Reply #14 on: December 02, 2015, 04:45:08 AM »
Have you ever painted anything to a fine high gloss finish?
The base prep is intense.  If its not perfect, it will show every detail.  Then there is the dust factor; every speck of dust will show, and you'll want to wipe it off.  Wiping leads to the same thing as dust cover swirlies. Before you know it, it will be scratched up from wiping the dust off.
I've done huge amounts of fine finishing, and can speak to this from an experts level (numerous award winning homes, with magazine articles, and one cover in magazines; and yachts). Its a commitment.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.081 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com