Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: New speakers  (Read 5265 times)

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
  • Needs to get out more...
New speakers
« on: April 23, 2004, 09:29:41 AM »
My b&w cdm7se are not really cutting it anymore, want something with a little more bang for your buck in the sub $1k range, any suggestions welcomed. Also any opinion on the below?

Gershman Acoustics: X1 monitor or Chameleon, 2-way, floor-stander?

Green Moutain Audio Europas?

Joseph speakers or Audio Physic speakers?

Sonus Faber?

Triangle?

Mirage OM9 or OM7, or a used Martin Logan Aerius i?

know anything about any of those?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:New speakers
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2004, 10:21:37 AM »
I have heard rreally nice things about the sonus faber's.  whenever im looking into speakers i check two places for reviews- www.audioreview.com and www.audioasylum.com.  i like the layout of audioreview a bit better, but thats just because the site i use as a road bike forum is on the same template :-)

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2004, 10:28:46 AM »
fwiw, I have a cj pv-12 and a mccormack dna 0.5 power amp, may sell the cj pv-12 for a cj pv-10 or 5
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Craig T

• Trade Count: (10)
    • LMA
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2004, 10:31:00 AM »
Wanna try some ACI Sapphire's?  I'm ready to hop back on the playback merry-go-round and could be talked into parting with them at a friendly price.  I'm thinking of some low powered tubes and the Sapphires aren't quite as sensitive as I'd like at 86db 1w/m.  Hands down beat my old MMG's for bass (hits the upper 30's in my room), dynamics, midrange, wide sweet spot, and ability to play very loud without strain.  Check em out at www.audioc.com let me know if interested.

I didn't like the Mirage's and ML Aerius.  I haven't heard anything else on your list.  The GMA Europa's look very interesting, but seem like they'd need a sub.  I read somewhere the GMA's are getting a price increase to >$1k very soon.

What about the Eminence Tech LFT8?  Might be able to find a pair used for close to $1k, I think they're closer to $1500 new.  I was going to audition a pair last weekend but never made it.
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14
Naiant Tinybox v2.2 / NBox(P) / Church Audio ST9200 / CA-UGLY
Sony PCM-M10 / Zoom F3 / Zoom F6

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2004, 10:53:19 AM »
will those Sapphire's need stands?
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2004, 11:03:20 AM »
yep, these are perfect (heavy on their own, but the large dia tube will take about 30lb shot each!):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=240-744&DID=7

highly recommended to anyone using large stand mount monitors!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 11:04:26 AM by Craig T »
Schoeps cmc6/4v / Beyer mc950 / Line Audio CM3, OM1 / ADK A51 / Church Audio CA-14

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2004, 11:35:05 AM »
fwiw, I have a cj pv-12 and a mccormack dna 0.5 power amp, may sell the cj pv-12 for a cj pv-10 or 5

Why would you go from the PV12 to a PV10 or PV5?  

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2004, 11:43:44 AM »

Why would you go from the PV12 to a PV10 or PV5?  

to free up a little extra cash for perhaps different tubes, I believe the cj products are quality and dunno if the 12L is worth the extra cash versus the pv-10
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2004, 12:05:05 PM »

You might want to borrow a PV10 and try it first.  I've read a few posts on various boards that the PV10 is grainy compared to the PV12 and later preamps.  Some people liked the PV12 better than the PV14L.  I have heard the PV10 on several occasions, but never had one for a fair comparison.

I have a PV14L now and it really is nice.  I had a PV7 for a while but it really does not even come close.  The PV7 was tubey but not quiet and sort of fuzzy compared to the clarity of the PV14L.

I asked because if you do get better speakers, you might be better off keeping the PV12.

Offline Craig T

• LMA
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2004, 04:08:36 PM »
yep, these are perfect (heavy on their own, but the large dia tube will take about 30lb shot each!):

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/pshowdetl.cfm?&PartNumber=240-744&DID=7

highly recommended to anyone using large stand mount monitors!

FYI, these are similar to the famed 24" Osiris stands ($450 - ouch!), except the Osiris has 2 tubes and the Parts Express only has 1.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2004, 04:09:49 PM by Craig T »

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2004, 03:03:55 AM »
I really liked the monitor audio speakers I demoed... works in that price range as well.  Might be a little too low-end friendly for tubes, though.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline THE NIZ BIAAAAACH!

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Mr T don't partake in no sombrero activities!
« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2004, 03:59:33 PM »
Mirage has never sounded natural to me, they have extended highs and lows which really grabs most people at first listen but after you live with them for a while, they really show there faults.
mk21+mk4>kc5>cmc6>portico 5012>722
24\96 in your ass bitches!

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2004, 04:38:13 PM »
My CJ PV10 sucked IMO, I don't know if it was just that one but I wouldn't even consider running one again FWIW.

I fell in love with a pair of Sonus Grand Piano's when I demeoed them against Nick's Martin Logan's. Go to your local tweeter & demo some Grand Piano's, they retail for 3k or so but can be found used for half easy enough. I would also recomend any Tyler speakers, Ty's speakers are handmade in KY & sound excellent. I just got rid of mine for my Von Schweikerts. I would say buy a set of Tyler Reference monitors & stands used if you want monitors.

You can also try a pair of Von Schweikert VR4's if you have the room, they are huge & will rattle your teeth loose if you want with your DNA. I have a pair of the new 4jr's while Nick has the "old" VR4's. His were like $1600.00 used in perfect shape & sound better than anything I have ever heard with his DNA-1. I love mine but his were half the price & go lower.
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #13 on: April 24, 2004, 05:52:16 PM »
I got my choice down to the Europas and the Von Schweikert VR-1s. I couldn't find a place to demo the Europas and liked the VR-1s enough to make up my mind. The Europas are fuckin' heavy - I was wary of shipping charges and also the fact that I'm going to be moving at least twice in the next two years. You'd also need one hell of a stand for them.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline twoodruff

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2004, 11:13:11 AM »
for those interested, for now I am going with the green mtn audio europas and getting a y-s audio symphonies + tube pre, for me right now, it is all about the small fellow
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• large Marge sent me
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2004, 11:22:13 AM »
Nice.  

Post a review when you can.

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2004, 12:57:12 PM »
Yeah, I'd be interested in hearing about the speakers I ended up not choosing. For me, though, the weight mattered a lot.
Out of the game … for now?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.265 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com