Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: generators  (Read 7049 times)

Offline deadheaded

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Kind Kables
Re:generators
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2004, 12:10:15 PM »
yes there is slight battery drain,  but nothing that you will make you have  to start your car for like an inverter would.
you could charge your batteries for a weekend festival without any significant drain on the car battery.  also can charge while driving from one show to another.
If it's worth getting off the couch, it's worth taping!

Offline Scuba Jeremy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • "Ugh, is that digi noise?"
« Reply #16 on: May 01, 2004, 01:06:33 AM »
Yep, the DC inverter is a wonderful thing indeed! It will be coming with me to Bonnaroo this year to help run the fan in my tent as well as charge the batteries for my gear. I'll be bringing a 12V battery from WalMart like I did for other camping activities last year. A little cheaper than a car battery, and they take trade ins, so you just bring the battery back when you're done and you get a little bit back for returning it.

Offline recordista

• Taperssection Newbie
  • WTF?
« Reply #17 on: May 03, 2004, 04:08:01 PM »
If you're schlepping a battery around, you definitely want a true deep-cycle (not the so-called marine deep-cycles which are sorta halfway between an SLI battery and a deep-cycle.)  Think Trojan T-105s or similar if you have the space & weight capacity.

I use 400 AH of Dynasty AGMs and a 170W solar panel on the roof of the camper.  Also have a 12V 140A generator I built with a truck alternator in case I need to run the DC microwave (75A when running!)

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
  • You wanna stick those white mics where?
« Reply #18 on: May 08, 2004, 06:57:10 PM »
If you're schlepping a battery around, you definitely want a true deep-cycle (not the so-called marine deep-cycles which are sorta halfway between an SLI battery and a deep-cycle.)  Think Trojan T-105s or similar if you have the space & weight capacity.

I use 400 AH of Dynasty AGMs and a 170W solar panel on the roof of the camper.  Also have a 12V 140A generator I built with a truck alternator in case I need to run the DC microwave (75A when running!)

+T!  i am running 100ah of Golf Cart Batts into a 2.5kw inverter in our motorhome, and I have 5 panels making about 20a of charge.    The 4kw genset doesn't hurt either!  

"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2004, 01:15:22 AM »
hey mikesus you gonna be atg bonnaroo, give me a patch (electircal patch that is)
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2004, 01:17:56 AM »
Might have a extension cord long enough, to make it from VA...

No, won't be there... ::)
"Oh, but you can't expect to wield supreme executive power just because some watery tart threw a sword at you!"

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2004, 01:21:20 AM »
damn oh well.  

I will be running the car in the morning for an hour to charge my RC batts.  one hr charge for 12.8Ah ain't that bad.

MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline AT853rxwh

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2004, 06:40:16 AM »
All depends on the charge rate.  If you can push it to 4a charge, then yeah, an hour is good, as you will get a third of your power back (give or take)  But if you are pushing an amp or so or less, it prolly isn't worth it...

Offline Divided

• Taperssection Newbie
  • Team Long Island
Re: generators
« Reply #23 on: July 02, 2004, 04:17:21 PM »
Has anyone ever heard of just using large solar panels? not gigantic but big enough?

of course.. probably just cheaper to buy a 12v batt.

any suggestions for charging my 12v's?
DPA 4022 > ___ >Ad1k > VXPocket / DA-P1

The problem with the world is that everyone is a few drinks behind -Humphrey Bogart

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Re: generators
« Reply #24 on: July 08, 2004, 07:21:43 AM »
Just thought I'd mention something about generators.

At work we frequently have to use a generator to power tools while working on a house being built.  With *some* generators we've had problems if the device being plugged in is....aa......smarter? than other devices.  Battery chargers, for example, often don't work right (for whatever reason).  My boss has a big badass Bosch hammerdrill....that often doesn't work either due to some kinda voltage sensing electronics.

If ya use a genarator at a festi to charge your batteries I'd do my best to be sure that they are in fact charging...more often than not my cordless tool batteries wind up not getting charged when I think they are.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com