Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3  (Read 54661 times)

Offline IronFilm

• (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
Re: Zoom F8 Recorder Part 3
« Reply #225 on: February 08, 2021, 11:27:13 PM »
I have a dream! My wishes for future F Series products:

New beefier processing power for the new F4n/F12 OS platform (the F8n/F6 gets dropped, for instead an awesome F4n/F12). This new OS gives features like graphical EQ (for post-fade), half a dozen busses, routable headphones (mix & tones), and Noise Reduction.

Update the F4 to an F4n, that has 4x XLR + 2x TA3F + 3.5mm to be a 10 track recorder. Also has 2x XLR + 2x TA3M outputs (for four outputs in total). Let all inputs and outputs be selectable in the menus as pro line, consumer line, or mic level. Update the screen to a be a super bright color screen. Have an expansion port on the top so that a "Zoom CL4" could be added to it (like the Sound Devices CL6, this adds extra controls for when you want to mix/control more than just the core four channels of the F4n, but rather all eight). Improved headphone amp.

For 95% of people this F4n could replace (or rather, be an upgrade!) to their F8n.

Then for the F12, have everything that is good about the F8n & the new F4n, but also make the F12 be...  12x XLR inputs (2x with AES stero) + 6x TA3F + 3.5mm + USB-C (for a  26 track machine, so you can record at least a couple of USB inputs as well, on top of everything else), Outputs would be 2x XLR (with AES) + 4x TA3M + 3.5mm. Have 3x full size USB as well (for a back up thumb drive of the recordings, the new Fn Control Surface, and a USB keyboard, all at once without needing to use a USB hub). I'd dream of a full size HDMI output as well, that could send the small built in screen to any HDMI screen. Add a bluetooth antenna to give the Zoom app crazy boosted range, like the 8 Series.  Would be nice if the "Zoom CL4" is stackable so you could use 2x CL4 with the F12, to give extra control over 16 inputs at once (the 8 direct controls on the F12, plus the bonus extra 2x 4 with the CL4). Understandably, the F12 would need to be bigger than the F8n, and even if it needs to be double the thickness, that's fine! Is still a very compact recorder! I'd buy this, even if it is double the cost.

http://ironfilm.co.nz/audio-field-recorders-in-2021-my-predictions-wild-guesses/

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Gunther Theile nailed it!
« Reply #226 on: February 09, 2021, 09:41:15 AM »
Fun game. Nice list.

My top reqests for an F8n sucessor:
1) Make playback Mid/Side decoding work post fader with ratio adjustment capability.
2) EQ (track pre&post fader, busses, headphones
3) Change routing to make all DSP (currently polarity, delay, etc) and new EQ available on playback.
4) More DSP to support the above.. possible VST plugin hosting?
5) Android control app
6) 8 analog outputs + headphone out
7) Internal bounce/mix-down to stereo
8) 10 fullsize XLR inputs w/phantom, 12 ISO channel capability
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline voltronic

• (34)
« Reply #227 on: February 09, 2021, 07:07:19 PM »
So you guys would basically like a Sound Devices Scorpio for 1/10 the price?  ;D

Besides things already mentioned, I would like to see the entire F series get an Android control app that allows remote monitoring.
DPA 4061 ~ Line Audio CM3 ~ Naiant X-Q ~ AT 853  |  Naiant PFAs ~ Shure FP24  |  Zoom F6 ~ Sony PCM-M10
MOTU M2 ~ KRK Rokit RP5 ~ Sennheiser HD 650 ~ Etymotic ER4XR

Team Line Audio

Offline bluegrass_brad

• (7)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #228 on: February 09, 2021, 10:01:19 PM »
So you guys would basically like a Sound Devices Scorpio for 1/10 the price?  ;D

Besides things already mentioned, I would like to see the entire F series get an Android control app that allows remote monitoring.

I ended up grabbing a second-hand iPhone for super cheap. I just keep it in the bag now for that reason.
"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?  You couldn't walk into a mall and get your little pussy pierced, and your little Doc Martin boots and your crazy color for your hair.  You walk down the street with blue hair you was gonna get in a fight with about 5 angry construction workers, or the local college football team, rednecks or cops. Sometimes they kicked our ass, but you know what?  Sometimes we beat the fuck out of em"  - Mike Ness, Social Distortion

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • (15)
  • Gunther Theile nailed it!
« Reply #229 on: February 10, 2021, 05:04:57 PM »
Yeah, I've considered doing the same.

I'd be okay without more ins and outs as long as it has the other stuff. Top priority of my list is fixing M/S playback to provide level and width control
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.033 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2021 Taperssection.com