Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 56471 times)

Offline voltronic

• (34)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #225 on: September 30, 2020, 06:42:19 AM »
So I just picked up a brand new DR-70d at 1/2 price.  Been running a DR-60dmkII for 3 years but for the price decided to grab it for the 4 XLR inputs and phantom power.   So I went to look for an approved card and I saw that Tascam has just updated their list on 09/15/2020 with new Sony and Toshiba 32, 64, and 128GB cards.   Figured I'd pass it along:

https://tascam.com/downloads/media_list/TASCAM/dr-70d_tested_media_list_.pdf

That gave me reason to update the DR-70D FAQ for the first time in two years.  Thanks!
DPA 4061 ~ Line Audio CM3 ~ Naiant X-Q ~ AT 853  |  Naiant PFAs ~ Shure FP24  |  Zoom F6 ~ Sony PCM-M10
MOTU M2 ~ KRK Rokit RP5 ~ Sennheiser HD 650 ~ Etymotic ER4XR

Team Line Audio

Offline audBall

• (37)
  • Keep Stella (World Rally) Blue
« Reply #226 on: September 30, 2020, 09:02:26 AM »
^ lol, before I saw your post I was thinking, "gee, I hope Volt updates the FAQ".  And I don't even own the DR70 anymore. Solid commitment!

Offline IMPigpen

• (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #227 on: September 30, 2020, 10:01:51 AM »
So I just picked up a brand new DR-70d at 1/2 price.  Been running a DR-60dmkII for 3 years but for the price decided to grab it for the 4 XLR inputs and phantom power.   So I went to look for an approved card and I saw that Tascam has just updated their list on 09/15/2020 with new Sony and Toshiba 32, 64, and 128GB cards.   Figured I'd pass it along:

https://tascam.com/downloads/media_list/TASCAM/dr-70d_tested_media_list_.pdf

That gave me reason to update the DR-70D FAQ for the first time in two years.  Thanks!

Glad to bring a "dead" topic back to life with some actual relevant content!  haha.
Mics: Neumann KM184s; ADK TLs; Naiant X-R omnis & cards; MM-BSM-7M omnis
Pres/Battery boxes: Naiant IPA; Sound Professionals SP-SPSB-6
Recorders: Tascam DR-70mkii; Tascam DR-60Dmkii; Tascam DR-40; Roland R-07
Cassette Transfers:  Nakamichi CR-1A->Tascam DR-60Dmkii
DAT Transfers:  Tascam DA-20mkii->Marantz PMD-670

My LMA uploads:  https://archive.org/details/@brandon_smith

**Have any old Strangefolk or Eddie From Ohio shows not on the LMA?  Let me know!**

Offline voltronic

• (34)
« Reply #228 on: October 01, 2020, 07:05:08 AM »
^ lol, before I saw your post I was thinking, "gee, I hope Volt updates the FAQ".  And I don't even own the DR70 anymore. Solid commitment!

I sold mine a long time ago as well.
DPA 4061 ~ Line Audio CM3 ~ Naiant X-Q ~ AT 853  |  Naiant PFAs ~ Shure FP24  |  Zoom F6 ~ Sony PCM-M10

Team Line Audio

Offline morst

• Trade Unionist
  • (2)
« Reply #229 on: October 01, 2020, 02:48:17 PM »
I sold mine a long time ago as well.
I bought a Sound Devices MixPre6 to replace the DR70D, but the sound devices branded cards failed in it a couple times.
Now I use the Tascam WHEN I NEED A RELIABLE DECK and don't require all 6 inputs.
The irony is NOT lost on me.
 :smash: :smash: :smash:

Offline heva

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #230 on: October 01, 2020, 03:33:25 PM »
A bit OT, but Tascam posted about dr70d on phasebook, where I dropped a reaction when they’ll release 32bit float gear.
Response: “in the very near future”

Interesting, fwiw.

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Site Supporter
  • (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • David
« Reply #231 on: October 02, 2020, 02:10:27 AM »
Would you look at that! I love this little thing and will pick up another card.
Mics: AT853Rx (C,O); ATM41HE; Nak 300 (CP-1/2); JVC M510 (shotgun); Samson CO2
Recorders: Tascam DR-70D x2
Pres: Edirol UA-5(BM2p+) x2; Shure FP11 x2; PSC AlphaMix
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet
Home of the eBay OMT

Offline malow

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
  • Tascam DR-70D W/mods
« Reply #232 on: January 31, 2021, 01:17:54 AM »
can you post the files somewhere so we can take a look at it? like wetransfer?

Offline IronFilm

• (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Sound Recordist for Film/TV in New Zealand
    • IronFilm
« Reply #233 on: February 09, 2021, 12:08:03 AM »
A bit OT, but Tascam posted about dr70d on phasebook, where I dropped a reaction when they’ll release 32bit float gear.
Response: “in the very near future”

Interesting, fwiw.

WOW!!! :-o

Maybe Tascam isn't totally dead, or at least AWOL, after all.

Offline Charliebrm

• (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #234 on: May 05, 2021, 11:38:27 AM »
I found myself back at Taperssection for information on other matters and popped in to the DR-70D thread in case I missed anything. I wasn't a registered user until yesterday.
For the record I live in Ontario, Canada. I bought a DR-40 in 2016 as the affordable unit to at least get me portable to record mostly acoustic electric performers in a small restaurant; not for much else at the time but my ambition has always been to include video work and I've never been satisfied with built in mics and boom mics are either outrageously priced or low priced bad jokes. I kept my eyes out for a DR-60D, but then coveted the DR-70D for the extra channels and the much superior IMO form factor and interface.

In 2019 I scored a DR-70D for C$100 including a one year warranty - essentially new - returned after one week by a store's regular reliable customer as not suitable for him. The timing was perfect to quick flip an open box item in their annual sale so they listed it for only $100 and I was third in line at the door in the morning and snatched it up. Happy Happy, I keep reminding myself when I use it "100 bucks!"

So thanks to all for keeping the topic alive. Any experiences with using plug in power lavalier microphones through the XLR inputs would be useful. I don't see much chat about using the Rode VXLR Pro adapter for that. Also I don't mind soldering up my own mini-box contrivances to get it done. The one 3.5mm input on the side will be limiting for my aims but I'll start there.

Offline voltronic

• (34)
« Reply #235 on: May 05, 2021, 06:25:23 PM »
Any experiences with using plug in power lavalier microphones through the XLR inputs would be useful. I don't see much chat about using the Rode VXLR Pro adapter for that. Also I don't mind soldering up my own mini-box contrivances to get it done. The one 3.5mm input on the side will be limiting for my aims but I'll start there.

Hello and welcome! Like many other consumer / prosumer-grade devices, the supply voltage is going to be really low on that input, as I suspect you know. I still had my DR-70D when I picked up my DPA 4061s, but Jon at Naiant studio made me a custom set of PFAs to supply 8V to the 4061s via the XLR inputs. Jon's work is highly regarded here, and he will work with you to find whatever solution you need.

I don't know what mics you are using, but I see the VXLR Pro only supplies 4V. That hardly seems worth spending any money on when the DR-70D supplies somewhere around 3V (I'm not 100% on that). If that's all your mics are spec'd for, then just stick with the built-in. Otherwise, I recommend the PFA / Naiant route.

Team Line Audio

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.053 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2021 Taperssection.com