Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Upgraded AC power cords?  (Read 10567 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Upgraded AC power cords?
« on: May 03, 2004, 05:31:05 PM »
Spent a bit of time this weekend thinking about upgrading the non-component side of my playback systems.  Started thinking about new interconnects and speaker cable, and got to wondering about new AC cords.

Does anyone have an opinion on upgrading your AC power cords and/or your AC recepticle and whether that is an important part of a quality playback system.  I'm not ready at this point to be dropping big bucks on power conditioners and whatnot, just wondering about the cord and maybe recepticle at this point.

I'll probably go the DIY route using Belden 19364 cable and hospital grade plugs.  AKA, the Bob Crump audioasylum/cable asylum method ( http://www.audiotweaks.com/diy/bobcrump_pc/page01.htm )
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
Re:Upgraded AC power cords?
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2004, 05:38:28 PM »
Do it.  I was skeptical.  I was not ready for the instant unsubtle improvement.  

I used the VenHaus recipe.  I got lower bass and quieter background.  I was told to expect them to get better as they burned in, but I think 90% of the improvement was there when I installed them.

Dedicated line is next.
The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2004, 05:50:50 PM »
I agree with Moke....a dedicated circuit is best if you can.  #10 Romex is overkill IMHO....a 20amp circuit on #12 romex will suffice.  The #10 is a good idea in that it will more easily carry the load....just don't fuse it at 30 amps...use a 20amp.

A dedicated circuit is a great idea because:

-Voltage will be the best possible as it will not be shared with other recepticles.
-Motor noise will be kept to a minimum.

I would use what they call a "hospital grade" receptical.  It's one of the highest quality recepticals you can buy.  I would only put in one receptical and use that to supply some sort or conditioner/regulator.  

As for the cord upgrade....I would imagine anything other than the stock cords is an improvement.  

Maybe I should follow my own suggestions.................. :P
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline Todd R

« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2004, 05:56:32 PM »
Ok, I guess since it keeps getting mentioned, I'll bite:  Any suggestions on lower end power conditioners?  I don't think I'm ready to drop a lot on an expensive conditioner.  Also, are the lower end ones worth it?  I'm afraid that a cheap design/implementation might be worse than no conditioner at all.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2004, 06:12:18 PM »
I've heard some good things about Furman conditioners.

http://www.furmansound.com/pro/pwr_cond_seq/index.htm
« Last Edit: May 03, 2004, 06:13:30 PM by BCostigan »
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2004, 06:16:30 PM »
i use the furman and its not bad.  id like to upgrade eventually but im happy with using that money for a sub for now

Offline Lil Kim Jong-Il

• Trade Count: (6)
  • large Marge sent me
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2004, 06:31:46 PM »
I have a Blue Circle Music Ring 1200.  It converts 120V to out of phase +/-60V.  it's balanced power, like using balanced interconnects, relying on common mode rejection to eliminate power line noise.  It works great.  I didn't realize how mush line noise there is until I installed it.   You can occasionally find them used on Audiogon but not very often.  I posted a want ad and eventually a guy contacted me so I saved about $300.

If you can DIY, there is a Jon Risch design power filter that gets very good reviews and is going to be cheaper than anything you can buy at that level of perfomance.  You can find the link on audioasylum with a simple search.  

A dedicated line is still the best bang for the buck.  But if you put one in, you better be sure that's where you want your system to be for a while.  I know some people recommend running two lines to keep the digital and analog components on different runs or if you have a big amp, to put the amp on an isolated run so it has full access to the 20A.  

The first rule of amateur neurosurgery club is .... I forget.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2004, 12:15:27 AM »
I got a great deal on a Furman PL-PLUS last week at a ham radio show.  I don't really need it, but it was too good a deal to pass up- the guy really didn't know what he had on his hands.

That said, it's just sitting in my closet until I find something to use it for (I use an Adcom power conditioner in my playback system already)- I'll loan it to you for a while if you want to try it out.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #8 on: May 04, 2004, 07:16:06 AM »
After looking at "high end" type power cords I think I'm gonna go into the cord making business. :P   For about $60 in parts you can easily make a nice cable that they are getting hundreds for assembled.

Offline Todd R

« Reply #9 on: May 04, 2004, 12:24:54 PM »
Lee, thanks for the very kind offer!  +T   Give me a couple days and I'll let you know.  I guess I spent too much time on audiogon--I was thinking I'd need to spend a minimum of a few hundred to get a power conditioner.  After hearing about the furmans, I've been looking into them.  I may just go ahead and try to get one.  For the price, it might be easier to get one outright rather than to spend the money to mail it back and forth for the test drive.

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #10 on: May 04, 2004, 06:48:58 PM »
For the record, the PL-PLUS I have is for sale if anyone's interested
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2004, 06:58:13 PM »
I am Lee.....PMed ya. :)

Offline BC

• Bongo Bongo
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2004, 12:35:46 AM »
Spent a bit of time this weekend thinking about upgrading the non-component side of my playback systems.  Started thinking about new interconnects and speaker cable, and got to wondering about new AC cords.

I know this is not what you are looking for, but personally the 1st thing I would look into once upgrading the non-component side of home playback is room analysis and treatment.  I say once you get the speaker placement and room treated for flat response, then start on the tweaks. Just IMHO.

Take care,
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2004, 07:18:34 AM »
I think room treatments will have a larger impact than anything.  The foam place someone posted has cheap foam for diffusion.  Owens Corning 703 and 705 are great rigid fiberglass panels for absorbtion.  You might not easily find the OC stuff so search for Linacoustic (may need contractor license to get this) or Certainteed duct board.  These have good absorbtion characteristics.
   Where can you find "hospital grade" outlets??  I've been looking, but can only seem to find reg 20A.  I ran 2 dedicated 20A lines to the rack( 1 for amp and other for power conditioner), 1 for the sub and 1 for powered towers if  ever go that route.  In a year I'll post pics when complete....

jpschust

« Reply #14 on: May 05, 2004, 09:54:21 AM »
i use www.realtraps.com for my acoustic treatments.  i have one of the kits, not super cheap, but let me tell you, it works amazingly well.  

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com