Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Best mixing wired/wireless headphones?  (Read 4110 times)

Offline Cheesecadet

• Trade Count: (21)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • http://db.etree.org/cheesecadet
Best mixing wired/wireless headphones?
« on: October 18, 2017, 11:34:21 PM »
Hey All,

My search function seems to take forever and not return results and I know similar topics on this have been discussed but can't find them.

I've always used the trusty Sony MDR7506 and love those for mixing.  I need to get a new pair (wired headphones) at some point and was wondering what else people are using.

I am also curious about noise cancelling headphones that are wireless.  Has anyone found a nice pair that have a rather flat response?  I received a pair of Sony wireless headphones.  I like them but they are rather bass heavy, definitely not adequate for mixing imo.  Are there any wireless noise cancelling headphones out there that could be used for mixing or is everyone still staying hardwired with their cans?
AKG 481's, DPA 4061's (Matched), AT ES933's w/ AT853-ELE's (SC/C/O), ECM-19B's, MixPre-3, A10, M10 x 2, Hi Ho Silvers, Various Darktrain & GAKables

Vinyl:
Fluance RT83 Reference > MCS 3230 Receiver > Realistic MC-500's (NOS)

Upcoming:
02/10 J. Dilla
02/14 Wiliie Waldman & The Chocolate Factory
02/15 Gabe & Giz
02/16 GM5
02/28 Grace Potter

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Best mixing wired/wireless headphones?
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 10:00:58 AM »
I use Senn HD600 and HD650

Wired, open, not-noise-cancelling in any way, yet reliable, excellent quality, good neutral frequency balance, and HD600 has become something of a standard.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 04:41:21 PM »
BeyerDynamic DT770 (250ohm)
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 08:14:26 PM »
I use Senn HD600...HD600 has become something of a standard.

Got a tip here on taperssection about these, and got a pair a few months ago.

Yep, you can hear it all, uncolored, with these cans.  Easy to wear for an extended period, too.

:coolguy:
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2017, 10:21:40 AM »
I use Audeze EL-8s. Probably better to use open-back headphones if you can, but I just couldn't stomach the lack of any other use case for them....

For less $ I'd consider V-Moda Crossfades. Really sturdy build, and IMO significantly better sound than the other stuff in the range ($300). Maybe a little more bass presence than something as neutral as the Audeze though.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Perry

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2017, 04:38:01 PM »
A related question- I've never seen anyone use noise-cancelling headphones when doing a live mix. Is there a reason? Do they affect the sound that much? (I've only tried them out at the stores).
"It hurts to lean back in handcuffs..."
^^~~~~~~~Todd Snider~~~~~~~^^

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2017, 05:05:01 PM »
A related question- I've never seen anyone use noise-cancelling headphones when doing a live mix. Is there a reason? Do they affect the sound that much? (I've only tried them out at the stores).
My guess is they just don't have the ability to "overpower" how loud the sound is in a live setting.  Also, there's no way they can stop you from feeling those low frequencies that you feel as much as hear.

If someone really wants to monitor live sound with isolation, I'm guessing they probably sit in a van outside the venue.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2017, 05:09:47 PM »
Yep.  Can't block the body vibes, but IMO there is a lot of untapped potential there to reduce low bass at the eardrum.  I don't know of anything that actually provides sufficient capability that way.  The cancellation amplification circuitry of most current active-cancellation cans doesn't have sufficient headroom to accommodate the SPL of an amplified music environment.  Heavy bass simply causes the noise-cancellation signal to clip which sounds terrible.

I've long wanted a pair of in-ears for live monitoring with strong enough active-noise cancellation amplification as I see that as the only practical way to improve live monitoring beyond the isolation provided by simple occlusion of the ear canal, either by in-ear plug monitors, or over-ear muff type phones.  I've worn in-ear Etymotic ER4s under gun-range hearing protector muffs in an attempt to block as much bass as possible- a pain in the ass and even that only goes so far.  It's relatively easy to block mids and highs via occlusion, but the bass still penetrates.  Active cancellation will be the key to improved isolation.

I've some active noise-cancelling in-ear AT phones I tried this with and the circuit in combination with the occlusion of the flanges worked fantastic for monitoring string band stuff at an outdoor fest.  The circuit really eliminated the bass and environmental low frequency stuff nicely for the cleanest monitoring I've ever experienced, but totally crapped out as soon as and significantly loud bass kicked in much less big PA subwoofers.

That was almost 10 years ago though.  Current active-cancellation phones may do better, but I doubt any are geared to handle that type of high SPL cancellation.  If anyone has new model pair of Bose or whatever, give it a go at a show and let me know it it works or not.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline thatjackelliott

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: October 20, 2017, 10:40:41 PM »
I got a pair of Bose QT20s for a good price a few years ago. They are now the only things I use at live music festivals. Our booth can be up to 60 feet away from the stage, and that ~60ms delay between the audio that arrives directly from the soundboard and the sound carried by the air makes for a blurry, echoey muddle. I like being able to block the airborne sound as much as possible -- I'm mixing live sound for our radio broadcast and don't need to hear every sound with an immediate echo behind it. Yeah, if the bass player gets a little carried away, or the sound guy is really hitting the subs with the kick drum, the noise-cancelling craps out -- blap! blap! blap! ... There's probably not enough power to drive the diaphragms hard enough to counter the sound, and little power amps clip. They're powered from one AAA battery, for heaven's sake, gotta give 'em a break. Anyway, I would never switch back to non-noise-cancelling cans. The loss of clarity and inability to listen "into" the sound just ain't worth it.

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2017, 10:52:43 PM »
I recently picked up a pair of Sennheiser HD25s and really like them.  Much better than the AT ATH-M50s I have been using for years.  Much clearer sounding and much lighter. 
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com