Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: 5mm diameter wire microphone for Tascam DR-05  (Read 4412 times)

Offline gltape

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
5mm diameter wire microphone for Tascam DR-05
« on: February 05, 2018, 04:24:23 AM »
Hello,

I have a Tascam DR-05 to which I would like to connect a wire microphone with a maximum diameter of only 5mm.

I found this cheap product but I don't want it to penalize the recording quality compared to Tascam's integrated microphones.

My budget is around $20.

Any suggestions about the indicated microphone model or other alternatives are welcome.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2018, 04:53:09 AM by gltape »

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
Re: 5mm diameter wire microphone for Tascam DR-05
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2018, 09:08:32 AM »
I also have a Dr-055 that I use for stealth and as a backup at open-taping shows. For that mic, you'll need some adapters to convert the mini-XLR to a stereo mini plug. The adapters alone would exceed your budget. Care to share what you're recording? The Dr-05's internal mics might be better quality that the mic you linked to, but an external mic offers more flexibility in placement, which often makes more difference than just mic quality. There are mics that have the proper plug, but I doubt you'll find many that are 55mm or smaller.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2018, 11:14:33 AM »
The xlr adapter is not included in the budget and should cost only a few dollars, like this one.

The microphone is used to record ambient sounds and not for music recording.

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2018, 06:20:25 AM »
If I use the XLR to Jack adapter with the microphone shown above, do I have to expect a loss of recording quality due to the adapter itself ?

Offline kuba e

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 09:23:02 AM »
The xlr adapter is not included in the budget and should cost only a few dollars, like this one.

This adapter will not work, because you need to power your mics (the mics are powered from Shure transmitter originally) . The solution can be special cable reduction with two min XLR connectors to 3.5 stereo jack connector or directly reterminate the mics to 3.5 stereo jack (some guys on this forum can make you special cable or modify the mics). Then you can power these mics from Tascam PIP or from battery box. This solution has disadvantage - you cannot record loud music, mics signal will be distorted on high SPL. You can try to modify your mics to improve them for high SPL too. Look for 4.7 mod.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 09:31:09 AM by kuba e »

Offline splumer

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Go ahead, try this at home
« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2018, 10:22:43 AM »

Depending on the application for these recorded ambient sounds, you'd probably be better off just using the internal mics on the Dr-05. They would at least record in stereo, and with ambient sounds, if you want any sort of sense of "space" to the sounds, recording with one mic split to two channels will not do it. I recorded some nature sounds over the summer, just for fun, and you can hear a bird swoop in, going from one channel to the other. It's a pretty cool effect.
"Forget Jesus, the stars died so you could be here. "
 - Lawrence Krauss

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2018, 11:16:46 AM »
Depending on the application for these recorded ambient sounds, you'd probably be better off just using the internal mics on the Dr-05. They would at least record in stereo, and with ambient sounds, if you want any sort of sense of "space" to the sounds, recording with one mic split to two channels will not do it. I recorded some nature sounds over the summer, just for fun, and you can hear a bird swoop in, going from one channel to the other. It's a pretty cool effect.
And he could even take it a step further to baffle the internals... http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=70134.0
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2018, 01:32:44 PM »
This adapter will not work, because you need to power your mics (the mics are powered from Shure transmitter originally) . The solution can be special cable reduction with two min XLR connectors to 3.5 stereo jack connector or directly reterminate the mics to 3.5 stereo jack (some guys on this forum can make you special cable or modify the mics). Then you can power these mics from Tascam PIP or from battery box. This solution has disadvantage - you cannot record loud music, mics signal will be distorted on high SPL. You can try to modify your mics to improve them for high SPL too. Look for 4.7 mod.

I found now the same microphone with the 3.5 jack connector, maybe this is the best solution for the suggested usage scenario on my Tascam DR-05 ...

« Last Edit: February 09, 2018, 01:38:49 PM by gltape »

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2018, 04:00:56 PM »
The problem still remains. This mic is connected in the three wires configuration. Look at the jack, there are three pins (they are divided by black rings). Pin 1 is ground, pin 2 is audio, pin 3 is power for mic.

Tascam is providing only two wires connection. Ground is on pin 1, audio and power together are on pin 2. When you want to use this mic with Tascam, you should reterminate it to two wire configuration. You can terminate one mic to one mono jack. And you can terminate two mics to one stereo jack too. It is very easy, somebody with basic soldering skills can do it in five minutes. Here is basic schema.

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2018, 02:12:28 PM »
Kuba e thanks for the suggestions, but I would like to clarify that I do not need to record in stereo with two microphones, but I just need a mono recording with one microphone.

My belief was based on the experience with the Olympus TP8 microphone that only works when powered by the Tascam DR-05 plug in power system (1.5 - 10V) and uses a TRS-type jack connector, like the one shown in the center of this figure. (My assumption was that the Tip of the Olynpus microphone was the audio channel while the Ring was the positive and the Sleeve was the negative signal)

I therefore thought that the microphones I mentioned above could work in the same way as the Olympus TP8 microphone.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2018, 02:16:57 PM by gltape »

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2018, 04:54:14 PM »
My belief was based on the experience with the Olympus TP8 microphone that only works when powered by the Tascam DR-05 plug in power system (1.5 - 10V) and uses a TRS-type jack connector, like the one shown in the center of this figure. (My assumption was that the Tip of the Olynpus microphone was the audio channel while the Ring was the positive and the Sleeve was the negative signal)

If it is recording left and right channel then pins are connected like on the picture. And on the right and left audio inputs is voltage too.

Kuba e thanks for the suggestions, but I would like to clarify that I do not need to record in stereo with two microphones, but I just need a mono recording with one microphone.

Great, so you don't need Y cable. You can try a microphone with a TSR connector. And if it doesn't work, you can reterminate it.

Offline gltape

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2018, 04:42:58 AM »
Just a curiosity: Is it possible to record both with integrated microphones and by connecting an external microphone to the Tascam DR-05 ?

Offline kuba e

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2018, 08:01:46 AM »
I'm not sure, I think dr-05 cannot do it. Certainly dr-2d can do it, and probably one more hand held Tascam, but I do not remember it's type. Some Zoom hand held recorder can do it too.

Offline ycoop

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2018, 02:41:48 AM »
I'm not sure, I think dr-05 cannot do it. Certainly dr-2d can do it, and probably one more hand held Tascam, but I do not remember it's type. Some Zoom hand held recorder can do it too.

DR-40 can do it. In fact that’s the only way to do 4 channel recording.
Mics: Avantone CK-1s, AT853 c+o
Pres: CA9100
Recorders: DR-60d mkII, DR-2d

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com