Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: General starting point for Church Audio preamp - festival recording  (Read 6789 times)

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
Hi all,
I’m planning to do some recording at an outdoor summer festival, but in quite a complex way - two of us using three recorders. I need some advice in terms of where to set the preamps at a starting point. Obviously I can make some adjustments on the fly but don’t want to get it massively wrong to start with, so any advice much appreciated.

I’ll aim for about 15-20 feet away from the array. The speakers are about 15- 20 feet up as well. I suppose 100db coming out? Pretty standard stuff.

Setup 1: Sony M-10 set at 4, CMC-25 Super-Cards with windshields & dead rats, CA9200 with the gain dial on 0....where should the dial be to start with?

Setup 2: Edirol R-09HR set at 40 (which is unity gain?), CA-14 Cards with dead rats, CA9100....starting setting?

Setup 3: less worried about this one - Roland R-07 set at 20, CA-11 Omnis, CA Battery Box - just want a decent omni recording that I can mix in for a bit of atmosphere.

I don’t want to start the CA preamps at max in case it overloads/distorts. Any thoughts?
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline spybo

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: General starting point for Church Audio preamp - festival recording
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2019, 06:57:38 AM »
Hey there,
For setup 1....with Sony M10...I would use LINE IN and set the 9200 to o gain but dial gain to max.
Set M10 to 8 and things should be fine...check during recording

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2019, 11:36:13 AM »
Mostly same as above for the first rig, but I might be more inclined to set the M10 at 5 or so and set the 9200 at 10 (more gain from the external pre at the expense of the M10's pre).  That said, I have a bit of difficulty envisioning what 100 dbs is like.  Can you characterize the band's genre?   

Offline ideal77dlr

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Mo To The Fo
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2019, 12:39:06 PM »
Thanks so far.

It’s a festival rock show with hanging line array speakers, delay towers etc...(I’m thinking of taping in front of a delay), so pretty loud and pretty high SPL but maybe not ‘Heavy Metal’ ear bleeding loud.
Sony D7 DAT : Edirol R-09HR : CA-11s (cards & OMNIs): CA-14s : SP-CMC-2s : CA-1900

Offline unidentified

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2019, 02:23:42 PM »
Well, better safe than sorry. If it is good and loud in your face, I'd consider going low at first on both the M10 and the 9200, and then moving  the 9200's gain from 0  to 10 after the first song if the peaks seem reasonable (and address the disparity in volume levels in post).  Doesn't sound like hiss is gonna be much of a problem.  Of course, while I am familiar with the 9200 and the M10, I have no experience with the mics you plan to use, so YMMV.

My general rule of thumb is to add gain from the pre-amp (which should be cleaner) before I add gain from the M10 (but not going lower in gain on the M10 than, say, the 4 mark on the gain wheel).  The tricky part is that the pre-amp's gain knob moves the gain up in jumps of that vary from 5 to 15 dbs, but you can always used the pre-amp's volume control knob (the off-on knob) or the M10's gain wheel to fine-tune the recording levels.  Have fun!
« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 02:26:56 PM by unidentified »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.051 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com