Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Market for Schoeps VMS 02IB  (Read 18657 times)

Offline rigpimp

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Jarts don't kill people!
Market for Schoeps VMS 02IB
« on: March 15, 2018, 03:11:44 PM »
I have been offered a Schoeps VMS 02IB as part of a package deal and wanted to know if there is a secondary market for this box still.  I don't want to sink money into a pricey MS rig if I cannot offload the parts that I do not want.
Mics: Schoeps MK 5 MP, Schoeps MK 8 MP, Schoeps MK 41 MP, KCY 250/5 > PFA
Pre/A>D/P48: Sonosax SX/M2, Sonosax SX/M2-LS, E.A.A. PSP-2, Baby Nbox, Neumann BS48i-2 (for sale)
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-6ii, Sony PCM-A10
Playback: Jolida 1501 Hybrid > McIntosh MX 130 > Von Schweikert VR-4 JR, or Little Dot MK III > Sennheiser HD700
http://archive.org/bookmarks/kskreider
https://www.concertarchives.org/kskreider
https://archive.org/details/thespps

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
Re: Market for Schoeps VMS 02IB
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 04:10:02 PM »
Just throwing out my guestimate from watching these in the YS. I'm thinking a VMS could sell to someone interested in running a genuine Schoeps pre for around $500-$600. But with all the options available today not everybody is looking for a stand alone pre anymore.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 04:39:02 PM »
Not much, a least for this Schoeps m/s taper.

The existence of the PFA and the ease of M/S conversion either live (on a modern all in one pre/ad) or in post means that there are smaller solutions to get m/s actives to a preamp.

Chris King was nice enough to lend me his for a while. It's cool looking, but my old littlebox does the same thing, fits my bag better, has longer battery life, and I don't think I hear any sonic improvement. 

I take all of this back. I was wrong. I ended up with a kcy only VMS, and think it's just wonderful.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2019, 09:53:53 PM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 05:53:40 PM »
I never ran M/S with one, but I ran one for a couple of years with 41's and absolutely dug it.  Sounded great IMO. 
They seem to sit in the YS for a while these days it seems...  and sell for much less than they use to.
Anywhere from $400-$700 has been the "going rate" for the last few in the YS I think.  But they sit for a while.

If you have a KCY cable, and can get it for a fair price....  go for it!  You don't need to strictly run M/S with it.
M/S is more easily flexible in post anyways.

But yeah...  if it breaks, call Vark Audio and hopefully they can help. 
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline H₂O

• Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 10:51:08 PM »
I am assuming this is for the rig in France that's been up for a while - The VMS looks older (flat black and not nextel grey) - regardless:

VMS 02ib ~ $500
KCY5i      ~$500
MK4         ~$400
MK8 (wide vents) ~$750
Rycote setup  ~$200

So at the current price of 1500 euros it's not to bad deal if your looking to pick up the mk8.

The VMS is also not very popular right now so it may take longer to sell even at $500

FWIW - I don't give tips on these foreign deals anymore as there hasn't been much interest and when there is it causes to much pressure on the sellers.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 10:55:50 PM by H₂O »
Music can at the least least explain you and at the most expand you
LMA Recordings

List

Offline fanofjam

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2018, 04:39:20 PM »
...and I don't think I hear any sonic improvement.

After owning three littleboxes one tinybox and many VMS's, I strongly disagree with this statement.  VMSs are still great preamps, but yes their value has decreased of late...not the least of which is the completely false information spread on taperssection that they can't be repaired.

Vark Audio works on them and does a great job.  The older smaller VMS preamps have three boards and the vast majority of the components on the boards are readily replaceable.  The major components that I know of that aren't replaceable are the front switches on the older small VMS preamps and the boards themselves.  But most repairs consist of replacement of readily available electronic parts...diodes, capacitors, transistors, etc. 

I believe that the VMS5U is still sold by Schoeps so parts availability on that one should not be an issue.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2018, 10:44:14 AM »
...and I don't think I hear any sonic improvement.

After owning three littleboxes one tinybox and many VMS's, I strongly disagree with this statement.

How can you disagree with a statement about what I think I hear?

I suspect you are really saying that you think you hear a difference between the littlebox and the schoeps. Fair enough. But I'm suspicious.

I'm game. Perhaps in the same vein as the mixpre6 vs. sx-r4 comp, we should do a mk22> kcy > littlebox vs. vms double blind comp. Dsatz is on the record challenging the widespread notion that different solid state preamps make much if any difference with Schoeps capsules. Then again the mixpre6 vs. sx-r4 did sound somewhat different.
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2018, 05:57:16 PM »
Just thought I'd add some to the conversation!!  I ran a VMS 5U for a few years into a Sony PCM D100.  It sounds very different than running my mics directly into the Sound devices Mixpre-6.  I don't prefer one over the other, but different flavors for sure.  I also ran a Littlebox and Tinybox for a long time I was an early adopter and had one of the first KCY Littlebox preamps.  I actually liked the Tinybox sound better and eventually sold of my Littlebox.  I ran the same Schoeps mic setup for years into a lot of preamps to list a few VMS02ib, EAA PSP2, Aeta PSP3, Aerco MP-2, Grace V2, and Grace V3 ACM.  All pres seemed to influence the sound IMO and really depends on your preference as to what a person will enjoy listening to.  Just my 2 cents.   
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2018, 07:45:05 AM »
All pres seemed to influence the sound IMO ...

Of course they do!  The notion that all solid state preamps sound the same is ridiculous.  If one's ears are telling them otherwise, something else is at stake, like perhaps confirmation bias.

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2018, 07:48:31 AM »
Dsatz is on the record challenging the widespread notion that different solid state preamps make much if any difference with Schoeps capsules.

If you're going to attribute such a statement to DSatz, I recommend quoting him rather than paraphrasing.  I strongly suspect you've misrepresented whatever he said, because your statement, on its own seems ridiculous to me.

« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 07:54:22 AM by fanofjam »

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2018, 08:19:21 AM »
Dsatz is on the record challenging the widespread notion that different solid state preamps make much if any difference with Schoeps capsules.

If you're going to attribute such a statement to DSatz, I recommend quoting him rather than paraphrasing.  I strongly suspect you've misrepresented whatever he said, because your statement, on its own seems ridiculous to me.

I can't disagree that quotes are better, but it's actually pretty much spot on (minus the last three words because it applies to all capsules).

The purpose of a preamp is to amplify the signal at all frequencies equally. Can a preamp be designed to flavor the sound? Absolutely and there are certainly differences, but in general that is not their designed purpose. The frequency response should be ruler flat from 20Hz - 20kHz and in the age of digital EQ tools and excellent all-in-one recorders I have no idea why anyone would want to rely on a piece of hardware downstream of the capsule to flavor the sound. Well, other than for fun. I've owned and run pretty much every preamp under the sun, but I'm usually happiest running straight into all-in-one because it's one less point of failure.

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2018, 09:29:04 AM »

I can't disagree that quotes are better, but it's actually pretty much spot on (minus the last three words because it applies to all capsules).

The purpose of a preamp is to amplify the signal at all frequencies equally. Can a preamp be designed to flavor the sound? Absolutely and there are certainly differences, but in general that is not their designed purpose. The frequency response should be ruler flat from 20Hz - 20kHz and in the age of digital EQ tools and excellent all-in-one recorders I have no idea why anyone would want to rely on a piece of hardware downstream of the capsule to flavor the sound. Well, other than for fun. I've owned and run pretty much every preamp under the sun, but I'm usually happiest running straight into all-in-one because it's one less point of failure.

But all preamps don't amplify the signal at all frequencies equally.  You yourself have in the past stated How some preamps cause the low end to muddy up.  Once the low end breaks up even a little bit, no back end can restore it.

This doesn't regard that preamps are also responsible for maintaining the sonic qualities of the sound to maintain transparency...eg the timbres, soundstage, etc.

That said I'd like to read the details behind the logic that suggests that a lower end preamp is just as good as the higher end...since that's what seemed to spark this debate.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2018, 09:43:11 AM by fanofjam »

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2018, 02:33:55 PM »
But all preamps don't amplify the signal at all frequencies equally.

Microphone preamps used for recording music, like the ones we are discussing in this thread, are all essentially flat in their frequency response. if you want to cut or boost frequencies, wouldn't you use an EQ in post?

But enough talk, who's got schoeps caps and a preamp they'd like to do a blind test with? I'll provide the kcy, extension cables and a mixpre6!
Recording:

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2018, 04:42:07 PM »
But enough talk, who's got schoeps caps and a preamp they'd like to do a blind test with? I'll provide the kcy, extension cables and a mixpre6!

Can't you comp your littlebox against your mixpre-6?

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2018, 05:46:36 PM »

Can't you comp your littlebox against your mixpre-6?

Not without multiple pairs of the same capsule. I suppose I could do mono comparisons.
Recording:

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.062 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com