Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Taming the wild bass drum  (Read 5618 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Taming the wild bass drum
« Reply #15 on: July 26, 2018, 03:29:24 PM »
I have the TDR Nova plugin with the Audacity, and that can apparently do dynamic EQ.  I haven't figured out how to do it, though (unless of course I've been doing dynamic EQ by accident all along...I've done dumber things so I'm not ruling that out).

Edit: Just found this video, which actually demonstrates EQing a bass drum with TDR Nova (about 14 minutes in), including dynamic EQ: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v25I9fXcUwY (I definitely haven't been doing dynamic EQ, I now see)
« Last Edit: July 26, 2018, 03:36:07 PM by heathen »
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #16 on: July 26, 2018, 11:26:08 PM »
I messed with dynamic EQ a bit and am really impressed with what it can do.  Having taken a first stab at it, I'd really appreciate if anyone could take a listen and give me some feedback ("I'd love it if you came and gave me notes").  Here's a link to download one song, both the raw version and the version with the dynamic EQ: https://we.tl/2mnUrHlJPO (the only change I made to the raw version was to amplify so both files sound roughly equivalent in terms of loudness).
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2018, 11:43:28 AM »
Sounds to me like it's achieving what you are looking for.  The in ear 'phones I'm using are not in anyway reliable for judging low frequency content or balance, with weak bass response and limited extension, yet still allow for relative judgement between the two and the kick resonance sounds better controlled and more balanced with the other instrumentation in your dynamically EQ'd version.

In the section from ~5:15-5:45 where there is discernible bass line movement around the kick hits, I can now clearly identify the bass line in the EQ'd version, whereas in the raw file it is more buried by the kick and the two sort of mush together, making the bass line less easily identifiable.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
« Reply #18 on: August 10, 2018, 08:10:45 PM »
Another happy TDR Nova user here, plugs into Audacity AOK
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2018, 12:30:02 AM »
  One school of thought would be to just capture the show as it sounded and not mess with it.  Putting that aside for the sake of discussion, is there a way to de-emphasize that bass drum in post?
Well, if you stop putting it aside, then I can jump in...

If you were mixing a band, and someone in the band was sucking, would it be your job to turn them down?

"Dance with the ones what brung ya."

I'd say clean it so that it can be listened to, warts-and-all, or don't bother messing with it. An audience recording is a record of what it sounded like at that place, at that time, to those mics. If your rig didn't distort on the bass, then you have a proper capture of the event. Make it sound as nice as you can, but in my opinion, don't sweat trying to change it too much. Sure, give a shot, but don't stress if you can't "make a silk purse of a sows ear!"  :hmmm:
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline wforwumbo

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2018, 09:42:39 AM »
Send me a clip. A well-tuned bell filter should do the trick, my ears will cost you less money than Pro Q 2 (which is a phenom plug-in but not cheap - used to use it myself but my ears got to the point where isolating filters was more work than doing the critical listening with lower-latency/more efficient plugins).
North Jersey native, Upstate veteran, proud Texan

2x Schoeps mk2; 2x Schoeps mk21; 2x Schoeps mk4

4x Schoeps cmc5; 4x Schoeps KC5; Nbob KCY; Naiant PFA

EAA PSP-2

Sound Devices Mixpre-6

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com