Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What are your "holy grail" mics?  (Read 16594 times)

Offline edtyre

• Trade Count: (85)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Team Philly " No Excuses, Just Tapes"
Re: What are your "holy grail" mics?
« Reply #45 on: August 28, 2018, 01:30:09 PM »
Having a schoeps capsule (including the mighty mk6's) for every recording
situation is my holy grail.
music>mics>pre>recorder

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #46 on: August 28, 2018, 01:43:04 PM »
A search turned up B9 Audio- https://b9audio.com/.

Not to derail things too much, but (despite their web site leaving a lot to be desired) these are intriguing. 
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #47 on: August 28, 2018, 06:35:33 PM »

Offline muj

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Certifiable Nevaton Fluffer
« Reply #48 on: August 29, 2018, 04:30:10 AM »

starting to love this one...

^^^^
What kind of mic is that muj?

A search turned up B9 Audio- https://b9audio.com/. Looks to be a Chinese microphone manufacturer emulating Schoeps. 

Their microphones look attractive, the published response graphs look good and the samples on the site sound nice, but not much info there otherwise.  Here's a cut-sheet on the Blumlien stereo microphone muj appears to be using- https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a8cb31-a4e2-44b6-a8d3-b3e77664ad9f/downloads/1ccqt2plq_835666.pdf

In addition to that and various cardioids, omnis, a supercard and and shotgun, there is a native B-format ambisonic microphone and an interesting emulation of the Schoeps KFM360 called the VR Ball- https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a8cb31-a4e2-44b6-a8d3-b3e77664ad9f/downloads/1ci1clsft_157637.pdf.

It is similar to KFM360 but includes the addition of a 2nd pair of fig-8's, vertically-oriented in addition to the horizontally-oriented 8's coincidently arranged with the flush-mounted omnis on either side of the sphere, as well as a front-center microphone position which apparently may be swapped between various polar patterns.  Making a total channel count of 7 recorded channels rather than 4 if all microphones are in use.  This one is interesting since the KFM360 has long represented a holy grail microphone for me (which is actually attainable, if not by myself), which has influenced my thinking about live music recording and the development of my oddball mic techniques. I dreamed up pretty much this same combination a few times over the years while thinking about that stuff and it's interesting to see such a flight of fancy appear as an actual product!

Hoping muj will chime in with more info and details on the qualities of the Blumlien stereo mic..

Taiwanese Company..big difference ( Taiwan has a western approach to QC)

The mic is only 830 usd..but they sound scaringly like schoeps...

I use mine With a Pearl ELM-C as a "mid" mic… i.e adjust the Level mid channel post Production, to correct phase or add more body to sound..etc

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #49 on: August 31, 2018, 06:40:53 AM »

starting to love this one...

^^^^
What kind of mic is that muj?

A search turned up B9 Audio- https://b9audio.com/. Looks to be a Chinese microphone manufacturer emulating Schoeps. 

Their microphones look attractive, the published response graphs look good and the samples on the site sound nice, but not much info there otherwise.  Here's a cut-sheet on the Blumlien stereo microphone muj appears to be using- https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a8cb31-a4e2-44b6-a8d3-b3e77664ad9f/downloads/1ccqt2plq_835666.pdf

In addition to that and various cardioids, omnis, a supercard and and shotgun, there is a native B-format ambisonic microphone and an interesting emulation of the Schoeps KFM360 called the VR Ball- https://img1.wsimg.com/blobby/go/48a8cb31-a4e2-44b6-a8d3-b3e77664ad9f/downloads/1ci1clsft_157637.pdf.

It is similar to KFM360 but includes the addition of a 2nd pair of fig-8's, vertically-oriented in addition to the horizontally-oriented 8's coincidently arranged with the flush-mounted omnis on either side of the sphere, as well as a front-center microphone position which apparently may be swapped between various polar patterns.  Making a total channel count of 7 recorded channels rather than 4 if all microphones are in use.  This one is interesting since the KFM360 has long represented a holy grail microphone for me (which is actually attainable, if not by myself), which has influenced my thinking about live music recording and the development of my oddball mic techniques. I dreamed up pretty much this same combination a few times over the years while thinking about that stuff and it's interesting to see such a flight of fancy appear as an actual product!

Hoping muj will chime in with more info and details on the qualities of the Blumlien stereo mic..

There's a thread on GS about these mics with the manufacturer commenting.
https://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-possibilities-in-acoustic-music-and-location-recording/1143093-1-2-quot-condenser-blumlein-stereo-comments.html
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #50 on: September 13, 2018, 07:18:30 PM »
I have always wanted an AKG C422 and the like

also that schoeps M/S deathstar setup

Fairy tales can come true, they can happy to you.....

Needless to say I am PUMPED to get out and run this bad boy!
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #51 on: September 14, 2018, 09:08:54 AM »
Nice!
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline seethreepo

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Resist Or Serve
« Reply #52 on: September 14, 2018, 10:26:25 AM »
I wan mics that shoot poison darts at talkers within a 5 ft. Radius.
"Never heard anyone say that music was the thing that fucked up their day" 
-Chris Robinson 1996-09-24

real recorder > phone
 external mics > Internal mics
 FOB > Taper Section
 HATS > better than Denied

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #53 on: September 14, 2018, 10:48:50 AM »
Only five feet?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline relefunt

• Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2018, 11:05:57 PM »
These ones, of course!
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #55 on: September 17, 2018, 04:05:57 PM »
These ones, of course!

:clapping:   I was gonna say.... LOL
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline tim in jersey

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #56 on: September 24, 2018, 07:42:38 PM »
These ones, of course!

Rather long story but I'll keep it brief. I did sound for Cleese who was hired to do a roast of the senior partners at a High-end Philly law firm. The exec admin was a high-strung little shrew that abused both me and the kitchen staff.

Cleese saw what was up and stepped in and gave her the "business". Then invited me and few other plebes to have dinner with him and his wife and stuck her with the bill.

2 things struck me about him: He's REALLY fucking tall. And he's a true English gentleman...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.061 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com