Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting equipment in/out Mexico  (Read 5583 times)

Offline nassau73

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Getting equipment in/out Mexico
« on: August 07, 2019, 10:11:34 PM »
It seems more and more of the bands that us oldsters enjoy seem to play shows in late winter in Mexico.

So, anybody have any experience with carrying audio recording equipment across the borders?

I'd only be doing a Roland R-07, small mics with a 6 foot cable and a Church UGLY Battery Box. I'm just wondering about having to claim anything because of tariffs, etc. I've never done anything like this before, but I'm contemplating attending one of the shows that will take place in Cancun in Feb 2020.

Offline mnm207

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • website
Re: Getting equipment in/out Mexico
« Reply #1 on: August 07, 2019, 11:00:45 PM »
I have carried audio and photo equipment out of and back into the US frequently and never had a problem. Usually I bring a handheld recorder plus small omni lavs; though to Sri Lanka I brought a MixPre3 plus omni lavs and a small parabolic reflector, no one said boo. For the amount of gear you're describing, it's most likely no one will see or care about it--same as any tourist's DSLR camera. If one were traveling with large amounts of equipment (think large scale TV productions or high-end fashion shoots) looking into a carnet would be prudent.

The only challenge you may have is explaining the UGLY battery box at the security screening. The last couple of flights I took the screeners wanted to see my D100.
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline opsopcopolis

• Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: August 07, 2019, 11:10:24 PM »
You'll be fine packing it normally. I bring my M10 and CAs on basically every trip I take these days. Just remember you're not trying to sneak it in this time

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #3 on: August 07, 2019, 11:14:06 PM »
Pack it all together in carry on luggage.  Do not check it or it may "disappear".  Be prepared to potentially ask a few questions and volunteer to hook it all up if they happen to ask.

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2019, 11:26:09 AM »
Wrap everything in a protective layer of cocaine and you'll be fine.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2019, 12:00:30 PM »
LOL @ CA-UGLY.
Looks like a lot of stuff I build.Gaffer tape + hot melt glue.
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2019, 03:47:49 PM »
it would be hard to be assessed tariffs bringing used gear into the states without factory packaging

also we dont have tariffs on mexican electronics
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2019, 12:29:35 AM »
They might be curious about the Ugly (TSA might as well) since it looks like hacked electronics, but I doubt you will have any issues.  I have schlepped equivalent stuff (full size mics, M10, cables, stand) over the Canadian border and they never look.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2019, 01:23:27 AM »
They might be curious about the Ugly (TSA might as well) since it looks like hacked electronics, but I doubt you will have any issues.  I have schlepped equivalent stuff (full size mics, M10, cables, stand) over the Canadian border and they never look.

If you fly through major airports they won't bat an eye.  SFO, JFK, LAX, Las Vegas, Seatac, Dulles, Heathrow, Prague, Schipol not a second look.  Oakland, Richmond Va were much more intrusive.

Offline mnm207

• Taperssection Regular
    • website
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2019, 02:22:51 PM »
If you fly through major airports they won't bat an eye.  SFO, JFK, LAX, Las Vegas, Seatac, Dulles, Heathrow, Prague, Schipol not a second look.  Oakland, Richmond Va were much more intrusive.

Anytime I'm flying with audio or photo equipment I expect that I'm going to get some personal attention. I think this security attention is different than the customs question central to the OPs post.

I agree that security at regional airports is more likely to have questions than at the big hubs. However on recent flights out of JFK *any* electronics larger than a cellphone were asked to be pulled out of carry on before going through the x-ray machine; I asked specifically about my recorder and was told to pull it out of the bag. At Schipol earlier in the year they wanted to see the recorder as did security at GSO and PDG (at GSO they ignored the strobe power packs also in the bag and took the time to confiscate my multitool that apparently is now no longer allowed in carry on).
// Sony ECM-MS5 | Naiant XX | LOM Usi & mikroUsi | Ambient ATM216 // Shure FP24 // Sound Devices Mixpre-3 | Sony PCM-D100 | Sony PCM-M10

Offline opsopcopolis

« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2019, 02:29:36 PM »

Anytime I'm flying with audio or photo equipment I expect that I'm going to get some personal attention. I think this security attention is different than the customs question central to the OPs post.

I agree that security at regional airports is more likely to have questions than at the big hubs. However on recent flights out of JFK *any* electronics larger than a cellphone were asked to be pulled out of carry on before going through the x-ray machine; I asked specifically about my recorder and was told to pull it out of the bag. At Schipol earlier in the year they wanted to see the recorder as did security at GSO and PDG (at GSO they ignored the strobe power packs also in the bag and took the time to confiscate my multitool that apparently is now no longer allowed in carry on).

EU airports are way more likely to make you take everything out of your bag. US airports have started asking, but I usually ignore them, with no consequences. The only reason they make you take out laptops is because they can't see through them.

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2019, 04:46:52 PM »
With the equipment you have it's doubtful you'd have an issue (since it looks more like consumer gear), but for others with more "pro looking" gear you may be asked if you are a professional (i.e. getting paid), since you may need a working visa if you are getting paid. Obviously for us you'd just say it's a hobby like photography.

Going into Mexico no one has batted an eye for anything for me (never took gear there, though). They know you are there to spend money...and that's all that is needed to have a smooth trip through customs. I've pretty much have strolled through Mexican customs without them even looking at my passport.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline pohaku

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2019, 05:55:30 PM »
Id have even less concern about Mexican Customs than US Customs, and it generally shouldn’t be a problem, especially with the minimal gear involved.
Mics: akg c460 (ck61, ck63), c414buls, c568eb; at4049a, 4051a, 4053a, at853; josephson c42; neumann U87, km84i; beyer m130, m160, m500; aea r84; gefell m71, mt711s, m200, m201, um70S; sony c38; schoeps cmc6, CMBI (mk4, mk21, mk41, mk4v); sennheiser mkh30, mkh40, md421, md431, md541; audix m1290
Pres: API, a-designs, pendulum, purple, millennia TD-1 and HV-32P, gt, littlebox, tinybox, usbpre2, CA 9200, pipsqueak, grace V2, DAV BG1
Cables: KCY, CMR, Naiant AKG actives, PFAs, asst.  GAKables and Darktrain
Recorders/converters/monitors: dr680, m10, dr-2d, d50, zoom f8 & F8n pro, 788T SSD CL-8, lynx aurora 8, Neumann KH20

Yeah, I'm an attorney, but everyone needs a day job

Offline RyanJ

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Nine Inch Nails Live Archive
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2019, 11:10:04 AM »
My favorite is when you pack a box full of DATs. People have no clue what they are. lol
http://www.ninlive.com]
http://www.ryanjonik.com
Mics: Schoeps MK4s, AT853 (4.7k mod)
Pre: Naiant IPA v1.0, Babynbox
Recorders: M10, A10, Zoom F8n, Marantz PMD-620 (Concert Mod), TCD-D8
Transfers: Everything you want

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #14 on: August 12, 2019, 09:05:56 AM »
My favorite is when you pack a box full of DATs. People have no clue what they are. lol

The Abbott and Costello routine practically writes itself...

"What's that?"

"DAT."
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline mountaintaper

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #15 on: August 13, 2019, 01:45:24 PM »
I've traveled all over the world and back with gear..nobody cares, nobody has ever asked me questions about it.

Offline guitard

« Reply #16 on: August 19, 2019, 08:24:31 AM »
Only semi-related ...

I tape audio and record video and have traveled overseas with my equipment at least 100 times over the years.  Several years ago, I acquired a nice little mono-pod for my videocam.  It was collapsible down to around 8-9".  That thing triggered the x-ray machine operator every time I went through the security check.  In spite of my desire to keep all of my gear together in one carry on bag, after going through that maybe a half dozen times, I just started packing it in my checked bag.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.092 seconds with 41 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com