Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7  (Read 71228 times)

Offline borjam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Sound Devices MixPre-3 and 6, Part 7
« Reply #135 on: June 11, 2021, 02:34:03 AM »
The first version of the MixPre 3/6 do not have the needed internal USB hardware and is therefor unable to write to a thumb drive.
Everything comes down to a more limited SOC (CPU and FPGA combination) for the first series. The second series seems to have much more computing power available, making it even possible to implement real time noise reduction.

What you can do is run an iPhone or iPod on the USB port via a lightning cable and se it up as an external two channel recorder while doing the real recording on the MixPre.
Or do it "off line" and simply let the MixPre play the recording and have an external iOS device recording it - but it will be time consuming as it have to be done 1:1 instead of simply doing a transfer of the wav files as the second version can do it.
There is no need to be limited to two channels.

If the DAW software you use on the iThing supports multi channel audio you can access everything through USB. For example, the MixPre 3 appears as a 6x2 audio interface.

It depends on the USB audio mode you configure. And it can be non intuitive: In order to connect to a Lightning port you need to use a USB-A to Lightning cable.

Do not connect via the USB-C port on the MixPre to a Lightning camera adapter because the power management in the MixPre can get nuts and the Lightning to USB adapter can get really hot. There was even an obscure bug I reported (fixed in the latest firmware versions).

Sound Devices published a support note about it.
https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-ii-series-as-audio-interfaces-for-tablets-and-phones/

"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #136 on: June 11, 2021, 02:37:04 AM »

v6.0 firmware currently on my Mixpre6
I would recommend the latest versions. There was some power management trouble when powered via USB-C in non ideal conditions and they have improved it.
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #137 on: June 11, 2021, 03:53:10 AM »
You are absolutely right - I totally forgot about that!
Thank you.

There is no need to be limited to two channels.

If the DAW software you use on the iThing supports multi channel audio you can access everything through USB. For example, the MixPre 3 appears as a 6x2 audio interface.

It depends on the USB audio mode you configure. And it can be non intuitive: In order to connect to a Lightning port you need to use a USB-A to Lightning cable.
https://www.sounddevices.com/mixpre-ii-series-as-audio-interfaces-for-tablets-and-phones/

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #138 on: June 11, 2021, 09:42:42 AM »

My mixpre has spent less than 72 hours "off" since the pandemic began, and none of that on battery power.
I run it constantly via USB-C as the sound interface.
:cheers:

When I plug the MixPre6 vI into the Nucleum hub via the Anker cable which came with my USB-C battery, I only get "amber" power levels, enough for two but not four channels of Kashmir preamp.
When I plug the MixPre6 vI into the M1 MacMini Thunderbolt/USB-C ports directly with that same cable, it gets "green"  levels of power on the indicator, so it could run four channels of 48v phantom if needed.

nice. good info.
ps - oh and by the way, I only have 1 ticket and like 5 posts b/c this is a new screen name. My old one was "eclark" but I had someone that was taking tickets from me like everyday and I didn't want to deal with it so I just signed up for a new name.

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #139 on: June 11, 2021, 09:44:54 AM »
Do not connect via the USB-C port on the MixPre to a Lightning camera adapter because the power management in the MixPre can get nuts and the Lightning to USB adapter can get really hot. There was even an obscure bug I reported (fixed in the latest firmware versions).

Sound Devices published a support note about it.

I would recommend the latest versions. There was some power management trouble when powered via USB-C in non ideal conditions and they have improved it.

:thumbsup:
ps - oh and by the way, I only have 1 ticket and like 5 posts b/c this is a new screen name. My old one was "eclark" but I had someone that was taking tickets from me like everyday and I didn't want to deal with it so I just signed up for a new name.

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #140 on: June 11, 2021, 06:43:08 PM »
v6.0 firmware currently on my Mixpre6
Ah thanks for the tip. Been thinking it's time to bump it up and this is a genuine reason to do so.
Hey when I went there, they have a specific ASIO driver for windows which adds multi channel support.

An ASIO® driver (v) for the MixPre Series by Ploytec is now available for download.
With USB Audio Class 1 devices — that is, Windows-based computers without an ASIO driver — the MixPre Series audio recorders are capable of sending two channels of audio (L, R) and receiving two channels of audio via USB to/from the computer.
This software driver adds ASIO support in Windows OS for the MixPre-6 and/or MixPre-3. With the ASIO driver installed, Windows-based computers become USB Audio Class 2 devices, which means the MixPre-6 can send eight channels (1-6, L, R) to the computer and receive four channels from the computer via USB, while the MixPre-3 can send five in and receive two out. The ASIO driver for the MixPre Series allows for low-latency operation and max sample rate for USB audio up to 96 kHz on Windows computers. This driver supports Windows 7 and later, both 32- and 64-bit versions.
For stable performance, Sound Devices highly recommends that your Windows computer is installed with the latest Intel USB drivers even if your computer is not Intel based. These drivers are not included in Windows automatic updates. For details on how to manually install these drivers, refer to this Technical Document.

OOH heads up, it's a double whammy!

7. When upgrading to firmware version 7.0 or higher from any version lower than 6.0 the firmware installation process will need to be completed twice. After the first installation is complete, the MixPre II will prompt you to start the second installation process.

Also, I had not run the Wingman app in several iOS updates but when I tried it after the firmware update, I had to quit the Wingman app and run it again before it displayed levels properly, even though it was connected and reporting the serial number of the Mixpre6. Oh Geez, it only works about 2/3 of the time. It doesn't show levels on Wingman reliably now. Once you use the About function, the levels don't come back until you quit and restart the app. Oh never mind, I was disconnecting the device from wingman every time I use the About function to identify. Confusing app for something which has such limited functionality!
« Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 07:14:56 PM by morst »
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #141 on: June 12, 2021, 02:09:34 PM »
I'm at  Version 1.53 and going to try to go straight to 7.13

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #142 on: June 12, 2021, 02:41:59 PM »
should work fine, it will prompt you to do it twice.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #143 on: June 12, 2021, 03:40:50 PM »
should work fine, it will prompt you to do it twice.

yep, worked just as expected.

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #144 on: June 12, 2021, 03:42:56 PM »
So.. pre-fader gain? I'd like for the channel knobs on the front to control the gain on my input, not the post-fader gain to the mains. What am I missing here? I need to go into the channel menu and use the touch screen to increase input gain in 1db increments?

edit: so I guess you need to set either Basic or Custom mode (with Custom Setup > Gain > Basic) to have the channel knob control the input gain. I wish for Advanced, it at least gave you the option for the function of the Channel knob vs Channel Screen.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 04:38:01 PM by emery »

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #145 on: June 12, 2021, 05:23:06 PM »
I'm having an issue with the battery sled on the Mixpre-6.

I'm using 4xAA Eneloop pro (gen 1) 3UXWA 1.2V Min 2400mAh batteries with probably about 50 cycles on them (rated to 500). Each of the batteries fully charged measure 1.433V DC, and the loaded sled measures 5.73V DC correctly. Power > Battery is set to NiMH.

When powering it up, the meter is Green, but Low. then it will start flashing red shortly (10 mins) after with no load.

I'm going to try another set once I can get them charged, but is this thing picky about power?

USB-C power is rock solid and kicks ass.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 06:58:21 PM by emery »

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #146 on: June 13, 2021, 04:52:52 PM »
^ You should get full green with freshly charged batteries. That being said, though, they won't last long. Personally, I consider the 4-AA sled to be basically useless. The 8-AA, on the other hand, is good for many shows (although I have never really tested battery life, I have recorded for about 4 hours with phantom on two channels, line-in on two, plus the mix, with Eneloop Pros).

Perhaps this is useful. In the note under the run-time estimates, SD mentions that the 4-AA sled will provide much less than half the time compared to the 8-AA.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #147 on: June 14, 2021, 08:53:25 PM »
Joining the gang. Just picked up a MixPre-6 II.

Any good starting points regarding settings, best practices, etc.?  I've read that Ch. 5 and 6 gain can be controlled via the headphone knob (but has to be set up).

Any suggestions for a good low profile usb drive for secondary recording?  I've checked the approved media list but an hoping there's something USB 3.1 that works.

Looking forward to using this bad boy once things start to get a little better north of the border.
« Last Edit: June 14, 2021, 11:30:55 PM by adrianf74 »
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline emmy

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #148 on: June 15, 2021, 10:21:15 PM »
Joining the gang. Just picked up a MixPre-6 II.

congrats. same, except I just picked up a MixPre-6 v1. going to be taping two shows this weekend with the mixpre-6, looking forward to it. I was considering a mixpre-d/302 or an old 722, but really glad I decided on the mixpre-6. the version II is really sweet.

Any good starting points regarding settings, best practices, etc.?  I've read that Ch. 5 and 6 gain can be controlled via the headphone knob (but has to be set up).

Any suggestions for a good low profile usb drive for secondary recording?  I've checked the approved media list but an hoping there's something USB 3.1 that works.

make sure to read the manual, especially the part about the custom modes. there are also a few nice articles on sound devices website about the 32-bit float recording. very informational.

there is also another thread here about the version 2 specifically which you might have some luck with as well.  :cheers:

AKG C214 > MixPre-6

Offline justme

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #149 on: June 15, 2021, 11:54:20 PM »

I’ve used these in larger sizes.
Decent spends, very compact and all plastic so they will not scratch the MixPre’s metal. And the attachment for a string so you easily can pull it out afterwards.
https://shop.westerndigital.com/products/usb-flash-drives/sandisk-ultra-fit-usb-3-1#SDCZ430-016G-A46

I have looked at Samsung’s Fit Plus but it’s in metal and I’ve not tested the compatibility.
https://www.samsung.com/uk/memory-storage/usb-flash-drive/usb-3-1-flash-drive-fit-plus-256gb-black-muf-256ab-eu/
« Last Edit: June 16, 2021, 12:00:23 AM by justme »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com