Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Olympus LS-P4 opinions / reviews for camera audio  (Read 2098 times)

Offline tekdroid

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Olympus LS-P4 opinions / reviews for camera audio
« on: June 08, 2020, 08:33:19 PM »
So for the first time ever I am considering the Olympus LS-P4 due to Sony's non-removable battery in the PCM-A10. Can someone share their experiences with this unit (especially in comparison to the PCM-A10 or other recorders). Mic quality, reliability, etc. The unit will be used to record music and dialogue mounted on a camera, mostly.

Here in Australia I can buy the LS-P4 at least AUD$80 cheaper than an imported PCM-A10 too. I am also open to other suggestions you might have. I have searched the forum with no real quality comparisons. A few hours on YouTube hasn't ressulted in (what I would consider) meaningful reviews comparing it to other recorders with mic tests, etc.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Olympus LS-P4 opinions / reviews for camera audio
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 05:15:38 AM »
according to http://www.avisoft.com/recorder-tests/, its within a few dB on input noise of the A10

i like the fact that the olympus can record to .FLAC

as far as battery life, A10 also lasts forever, internal battery not a deal killer as they are common and replaceable
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2020, 06:11:38 AM »
Yes, I like the idea of recording FLAC too. Thanks for the link. I hope there's more info out there.

The Sony is not going to be bought for sure, since I don't think battery replacement will be easy (or common). Unless I'm mistaken? Plus I always prefer a quick swap rather than recharging a single internal battery. I think that a single internal battery is an incredibly bad deal-breaker.

https://helpguide.sony.net/icd/pcma10/v1/en2/contents/TP0001668767.html?search=battery
The last point on this page states:
========
The built-in rechargeable battery is deteriorated.

The rechargeable battery is capable of charging about 500 times but the rechargeable times vary depending on the usage of your linear PCM recorder. If the fully charged battery wears out in half the time it normally does, it indicates that the battery is deteriorated. Consult your nearest Sony dealer.
========

I'd rather consult my nearest eneloop rather than my nearest dealer.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2020, 07:39:55 AM »
i expect the battery in my A10 to outlast the useful life of the unit, it charges pretty quickly and lasts forever. doenst even come off full in a normal show

li-ions last a long time if you dont beat on them by deep discharging and overcharging
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline tekdroid

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2020, 06:54:52 PM »
i expect the battery in my A10 to outlast the useful life of the unit, it charges pretty quickly and lasts forever. doenst even come off full in a normal show

li-ions last a long time if you dont beat on them by deep discharging and overcharging
I expect my PCM-M10 to outlast me. If it came with an internal non-removable battery, I'd already be having issues well before now. Not only do they lose life with full charges and deep discharges, lithium-ion batteries degrade a lot with temperature (heat). Sometimes the heat can't be avoided. Just to add to the high-maintenance routine, if not being used for a while, lithium-ion batteries should be stored about  half-charged (impractical for most people, I reckon). Add to this the fact that lots of devices slowly suck down the battery when inside devices. Lots of scope for degradation. I am apalled at this move by Sony and won't be rewarding them. 

I don't know how easy or hard it is to replace the battery myself, but I shouldn't be even thinking about this. I want the ability to swap batteries whenever I want, and not stop to charge the single internal (non-removable) battery. If Olympus (and others) can do it in a reasonable size, so can Sony. This is all about milking the masses.

I am open to any alternatives with a removable battery that can be easily mounted on a camera (ie. not too big).

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #5 on: June 10, 2020, 01:01:31 PM »
This recorder is pretty interesting. I think you're going to have a hard time finding someone who has both the A10 and the LS-P4, so you might have to rely on reviews/videos. Unfortunately, as you have discovered, youtube videos on most tech stuff isn't that helpful and nearly useless in some cases. For this reason, I haven't purchased the A10 yet...not sure if I will at all.

In the US, the P4 is about $60 less expensive than the Sony, not near the "savings" in Australia, though.

I'm also not that pleased with the rechargeable battery in the A10. In full disclosure, I do own the ux560 that jerryfreak recently compared against the A10, and it has a rechargeable battery in it. However, I was able to get the ux560 for something like $50.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: June 10, 2020, 10:18:05 PM »
The thought went through my mind earlier that I have a rechargeable remote for the TV (Logitech Harmony) which must be at least 10 years old and the battery in that seems fine.  I guess it's not fully cycled that often.  Anyway, from my experience, battery life and battery quality very much go together.  Batteries in cheap Android tablets for instance tend to die after a year or so.  Batteries in reputable devices tend to outlast the currency of the device (ie the time till it is obsolete anyway) and sometimes much longer.  Will the A10 battery last me until the 32 bit version comes out at half the price?  We'll see...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.068 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com