Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps mk41? Doubting to take the plunge...  (Read 23582 times)

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps mk41? Doubting to take the plunge...
« Reply #75 on: July 13, 2020, 04:22:40 PM »
Like DaSpy, I have both the Baby and the Platinum.  I use the Platinum 90% of the time, because I know how to get it through metal detectors. 

The Baby Box is really just a battery box supplying the voltage to run the Schoeps.  Initially, I disliked it due to the sound, but quite frankly in some venues, metal detectors, wands, empty pockets and pat downs (yep, there are few really aggressive venues), it came it useful.  I got over the sound, and developed a plug in setting to boost the frequencies that needed, actually a curve of sorts, and it its hard to tell the difference these days.  Like DaSpy, I use "Mike In"  on my recorder, not "Line In."  You'll need a special set of cords for the Baby Box, the two are not interchangable with the NBox. 

I'll always take both to every show, and decide after checking out the security line which preamp to use.  Like I said, the Platinum is still my go-to preamp. 

But if you are unskilled or paranoid about security checks, then I suggest the Baby NBox. 
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline guitard

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #76 on: July 13, 2020, 05:54:30 PM »
Like DaSpy, I have both the Baby and the Platinum.  I use the Platinum 90% of the time, because I know how to get it through metal detectors.

I have been trying to decide which to get, and what you wrote here seals the deal for me.  I have never had a problem getting anything through metal detectors.  Thanks!
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #77 on: July 13, 2020, 07:31:10 PM »
I "think" that there might be an ABS plastic box option for the Platinum.  Not sure on that..  but you should ask if needed.
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline guitard

« Reply #78 on: July 13, 2020, 07:48:49 PM »
I "think" that there might be an ABS plastic box option for the Platinum.  Not sure on that..  but you should ask if needed.

There most definitely is.

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #79 on: July 13, 2020, 08:40:37 PM »
Like DaSpy, I have both the Baby and the Platinum. I use the Platinum 90% of the time, because I know how to get it through metal detectors. 

The Baby Box is really just a battery box supplying the voltage to run the Schoeps.  Initially, I disliked it due to the sound, but quite frankly in some venues, metal detectors, wands, empty pockets and pat downs (yep, there are few really aggressive venues), it came it useful.  I got over the sound, and developed a plug in setting to boost the frequencies that needed, actually a curve of sorts, and it its hard to tell the difference these days.  Like DaSpy, I use "Mike In"  on my recorder, not "Line In."  You'll need a special set of cords for the Baby Box, the two are not interchangable with the NBox. 

I'll always take both to every show, and decide after checking out the security line which preamp to use.  Like I said, the Platinum is still my go-to preamp. 

But if you are unskilled or paranoid about security checks, then I suggest the Baby NBox.

If you are getting the Platinum  through Madison Square Garden please PM me your secrets. :help:

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #80 on: July 14, 2020, 07:12:47 AM »
Same here. I'd like a pm with your tricks :)
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline guitard

« Reply #81 on: July 14, 2020, 02:34:43 PM »
With regard to Nbox Platinum's option of a plastic or metal case ... conventional wisdom suggests a metal box would be sturdier ... but a plastic box would be easier for >:D.  But if you've got 4x 9v batteries in a plastic box ... does it really make a difference?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #82 on: July 14, 2020, 02:51:00 PM »
I'll defer to actual users to give you a more definitive answer, however I presume it depends on which batteries are used and specifically if they have a metal case (std alkaline) or a plastic case (Powerex NiMH, etc).
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline guitard

« Reply #83 on: July 14, 2020, 02:52:39 PM »
I'll defer to actual users to give you a more definitive answer, however I presume it depends on which batteries are used and specifically if they have a metal case (std alkaline) or a plastic case (Powerex NiMH, etc).

I've never heard of batteries with plastic cases.  Very interesting ...

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #84 on: July 14, 2020, 03:10:46 PM »
NiMH rechargables are generally a good option, but check what other Nbox users recommend for specific battery recommendations as the voltages, mAh ratings, and discharge curves are a different than standard "9V's".  Most are closer to either 8V or 10V and some require a specific charger.  If going with NiMH I recommend a low self discharge version as they hold a charge much longer (similar charge holding to alkalines) making them far more predictable both in the short run and over time as they age.   A set should last ~3 years or so.
« Last Edit: July 15, 2020, 09:44:22 AM by Gutbucket »
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline yug du nord

• ...til things never seen seem familiar…
  • Trade Count: (56)
  • made with natural flavor
« Reply #85 on: July 14, 2020, 05:02:05 PM »
I think that these were the "best" rechargeable 9V a few years ago..  not sure if there is a better option these days??.

The white 9.6V version.

https://mahaenergy.com/powerex-9-6v-230mah-1-pack/

I know some Nbox users use rechargeables...  but I know that alkalines are more trustworthy. 

Hopefully current Nbox users will chime in.

perks to the rescue!!
Listen to him!!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 06:03:38 PM by yug du nord »
.....got a blank space where my mind should be.....

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #86 on: July 14, 2020, 05:27:14 PM »
The white Powerex 9.6v rechargeable batteries are not the low self discharge version. They work just fine however for the same price you can get these....

https://www.thomasdistributing.com/Maha-Precharged-9V-96V-230-mAh-Low-Discharge-NIMH-Rechargeable-Battery_p_2455.html

Using Duracell coppertop 9V will power your Nbox for a bit longer than the rechargeables (either version) but the cost of buying a new Duracells 4-pack every other show will quickly add up. I always looked at it like buying an additional ticket to a show plus throwing away hundreds of dead coppertops is just such a waste. The rechargeables will easily save you $1k over the life of the battery. The key is to get the correct charger for the batteries and make sure you are buying the 9.6V version and not the 9V rechargeable battery. Using a charger that can identify when the battery is going to crap out will make using rechargeable batteries foolproof. I have not had any issues with a rechargeable not performing in the field.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2020, 05:29:19 PM by perks »
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline robeti

• Trade Count: (39)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: July 14, 2020, 05:57:29 PM »
Any recommendations for windscreens and dead rats to stealth the MK41's in a hat?
mics schoeps mk22/mk4/mk41 (matched) | nakamichi cm-300 (JB mod/cp1/cp2/cp3) | nakamichi cm-50 | primo em4052pmi4's | sp-cmc-4u/at-853 4.7k mod (shotguns/h/c/sc/o) | ca-11 c/o
power ca-ubb | ca-9200 | nbob actives > baby nbox | schoeps cmbi (pair)
recorder roland r-05 
video panasonic zs100 | panasonic hdc-sd600 | sony hx9v | sony hx50v | samsung s23 ultra
playback fiio m17 > final d8000

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #88 on: July 14, 2020, 06:04:38 PM »
I think that these were the "best" rechargeable 9V a few years ago..  not sure if there is a better option these days??.

The white 9.6V version.

https://mahaenergy.com/powerex-9-6v-230mah-1-pack/

I know some Nbox users use rechargeables...  but I know that alkalines are more trustworthy. 

Hopefully current Nbox users will chime in.

I use Duracell Pro Cells.  I know I should use rechargeables but I feel safer using these.

Offline guitard

« Reply #89 on: July 14, 2020, 06:09:45 PM »
buying a new Duracells 4-pack every other show will quickly add up.

Two shows is typically around 5-6 hours? I thought I read you could get a lot more recording time than that with a fresh set of batteries.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com