Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic storage  (Read 3829 times)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Mic storage
« on: July 06, 2020, 11:10:12 AM »
I need to put my mics in a storage unit for an indeterminate amount of time (likely 2-3 months).  It's indoors and climate controlled so I'm not too worried, but is there anything I should be aware of that maybe isn't obvious?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
Re: Mic storage
« Reply #1 on: July 06, 2020, 01:55:59 PM »
If the microphones are in a sealed container and you can include one of those packets that absorb moisture, that would be nice, but it's not ordinarily necessary.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2020, 10:24:10 AM »
Obvious perhaps, but it's best to not store them with foam windscreens in place, or in the same container without some sort of plastic bag or barrier separating them.   Prevents contamination of the diaphragms if/when the foam starts to degrade to dust or goo.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: July 13, 2020, 10:32:14 AM »
Obvious perhaps, but it's best to not store them with foam windscreens in place, or in the same container without some sort of plastic bag or barrier separating them.   Prevents contamination of the diaphragms if/when the foam starts to degrade to dust or goo.

Safe to assume that if the mic came in some sort of foam from the manufacturer it's safe to store it in that?  Or would it still be better to put the mic in some sort of plastic bag/barrier?
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #4 on: July 13, 2020, 11:35:42 AM »
I'd think that safe, although a polyethylene zip-lock bag isn't likely to hurt.

The cut-out packing foam in storage boxes is presumably less prone to "rot" than windscreen foam in general, yet some of it seems to be marketed as being better in that regard that others (sometimes along with anti-static claims). Personally I've experienced numerous foam windscreens disintegrating into dust and/or turning to mush, yet have never experienced cut-shape box foam disintegrating in the same way. Well, at least not any of the boxes typically used to store microphones. I have had it occur in a couple 40+ year old instrument cases where whatever the original sculpted foam was beneath the synthetic fur liners disintegrated.  But that could have been an example of bad "early era foam" since improved or replaced by other materials less prone to degrading, similar to the failure of foam speaker-cone surrounds commonly used in the 70's and 80's.

I tend to keep each microphone in its own a polythene zip-lock bag inside its storage box, sometimes along with a small desiccant pack, because I reside in a region with a humid climate.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #5 on: July 13, 2020, 11:40:24 AM »
ive never seen the closed-cell dense foam inside a schoeps box break down

ive seen several spongy windscreens fall to bits
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #6 on: July 13, 2020, 01:45:24 PM »
If you are concerned about foam breaking down and contaminating your mics, I recommend these shipping tubes, which are nearly the same thing as what Schoeps includes with their mics.

0.79" dia is the size you want for 20 mm mics; 0.87" for 22 mm.

I put each of my mics in a tube with a silica gel canister, and then they go inside a Cigar Caddy.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #7 on: July 13, 2020, 06:14:19 PM »
If you are concerned about foam breaking down and contaminating your mics, I recommend these shipping tubes, which are nearly the same thing as what Schoeps includes with their mics.
How snug is this? The Neumann KM series has a logo on the outside which is a raised enameled emblem...
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline voltronic

« Reply #8 on: July 13, 2020, 07:54:40 PM »
How snug is this? The Neumann KM series has a logo on the outside which is a raised enameled emblem...

I don't own any Neumanns, but another member here who does have those mics bought these tubes and said they fit just fine.  0.87 in = 23 mm so that might accommodate the emblem.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2020, 03:50:03 PM »
I don't own any Neumanns, but another member here who does have those mics bought these tubes and said they fit just fine.  0.87 in = 23 mm so that might accommodate the emblem.
Awesome, thanks.
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2020, 05:06:35 PM »
> ive never seen the closed-cell dense foam inside a schoeps box break down

That material should outlast--well, me for sure. On the other hand, if I can say this without starting a panic--there were two distinct types of older Schoeps boxes with "blue suede shoes" exteriors, one of which had slightly-quasi-furry, royal blue inner linings that would eventually shed tiny, sticky particles. The other type of blue case had the same dense, closed-pore plastic of which you speak, though--which of course is perfectly fine. So you can't judge a blue Schoeps case by its cover alone. Still, I wouldn't advise people to use the type with the plush interior for any long-term storage. To the extent that I had those, I've replaced them with newer types, and in one instance I brought a BLM 03 C to Schoeps for cleaning on account of the residue.

> ive seen several spongy windscreens fall to bits

Me, too--and before they get to that degree of decrepitude, they're already shedding small particles. Please bear in mind that condenser microphone capsules work on the same principle as electrostatic air cleaners. Trying to prolong the life of a foam windscreen or pop screen beyond its limited span of years is a false economy. If you take a foam windscreen or pop screen and drag it on a piece of rough, white paper and it creates a visible dark streak, replace it. If, however, a genie appears instead, make three wishes and please consider having smooth, peaceful elections this November be one of them.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #11 on: July 16, 2020, 11:47:39 AM »
Will be rubbing all my windscreens this weekend!

Offline voltronic

« Reply #12 on: July 16, 2020, 04:53:56 PM »
I don't have any experience with the Schoeps factory boxes, but I have definitely seen the foam from Pelican cases break down and become powdery.  Since those are quite popular with audio equipment, I recommend the plastic tubes.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #13 on: July 16, 2020, 05:02:50 PM »
^ Which type of Pelican foam? They use several; the built-in "hard" foam and closed cell blocks seem pretty stable (I have a ten-year old case with those that are completely intact). The Pick N Pluck and the built-in "soft" foam seem less so (I have a ten-year old case with those also, which haven't degraded, but they make me nervous).

Offline voltronic

« Reply #14 on: July 17, 2020, 05:16:11 PM »
^ Which type of Pelican foam? They use several; the built-in "hard" foam and closed cell blocks seem pretty stable (I have a ten-year old case with those that are completely intact). The Pick N Pluck and the built-in "soft" foam seem less so (I have a ten-year old case with those also, which haven't degraded, but they make me nervous).

I'm talking about the soft egg crate and the pick-n-pluck.  I've seen it go to crumbs in several cases, though none used for mics exclusively.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com