Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Suggestions for a bookshelf turntable setup  (Read 1817 times)

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • The Breakfast
Suggestions for a bookshelf turntable setup
« on: August 09, 2020, 02:25:32 PM »
My buddy is asking for suggestions on what to get

He wants a 2 channel setup for playing records.

so speakers and amp etc. hes not the most technically inclined but doesn't mind spending a few bucks.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline goodcooker

• Trade Count: (43)
  • goes to 11
Re: Suggestions for a bookshelf turntable setup
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 07:39:22 PM »
I've been really happy with my Audio Technica AT-LP120. It sounds good and it was the best value for the money. I didn't go with other tables that maybe would sound marginally better for a couple of reasons mostly convenience. The AT is shipped with everything you need to set it up (which was pretty easy) and play including a decent cartridge (AT95E) with a diamond stylus already installed in it. It's USB and analog out and includes a preamp (some say the built in pre sucks but I think it's fine).

Pros -
Direct drive no dealing with belts
Built in preamp + USB
Good solid speed and a decent platter just add a nonslip mat and if you are a stickler add a weight
Tracks warped records really well once you get it set in the sweet spot
Included acrylic dustcover

Cons -
No auto return or auto start - it does have a tonearm lift lever which is enough for me - most tables don't do auto anymore
Built in preamp - you have to physically modify the TT to bypass the built in pre you can't just switch it off and use something else
The dustcover keeps coming out of the holes but I'm sure it's just me. You can slip it off when in use or not use it at all.
A little bulky compared to some other new tables in the under $500 category. May not be the best for a shelf.
Line Audio CM3/OM1 || MBHO KA500 hyper>PFA|| ADK A51 type IV || AKG C522XY
Oade Warm Mod and Presence+ Mod UA5s || Aerco MP2(needs help) || Neve Portico 5012 || Apogee MMP
SD Mixpre6 || Oade Concert Mod DR100mkii

pocket sized - CA11 cards > SP SB10 > Sony PCM A10

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/goodcooker

"Are you the Zman?" - fan at Panic 10-08-10 Kansas City
"I don't know who left this perfectly good inflatable wook doll here, but if I'm blowing her up, I'm keeping her." -  hoppedup

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 09:01:20 PM »
I second the recommendation for the AT LP120 and since it has a built in phono pre all you need is a good pair of powered speakers and your in vinyl heaven. The only bummer with the LP120 is no auto stop. Not a deal breaker for newbies, but for us old dudes who tend to fall asleep in 45 minutes or less, it can be a big deal.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 09:25:37 PM »
sweet thanks guys. I had him looking at some outlaw audio stuff and musichall

any suggestions for 2 channel integrated and book shelves ? or similar

hes in MA which is why i suggested outlaw but i own their monoblocks so can at least speak to my experience which has been great
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2020, 04:45:29 PM »
The Dynaudio Emit M10 is an awesome sounding, affordable, small bookshelf speaker. The somewhat larger M20 is also great. This is Dynaudio's budget line, but they perform really well. The Evoke 10 and 20 are also fantastic, but cost quite a bit more. Of course, you can drop a lot of coin on speakers if you want, but these have a pretty good sound/cost balance in my opinion.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com