Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable FM Recorder?  (Read 4558 times)

Offline jdwtyl

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Portable FM Recorder?
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2020, 03:57:07 PM »
I'm going to be going to a drive-in concert where I am assuming they will be broadcasting the show via FM.  I'm wondering if anyone here has any input on getting the least lossy capture of the FM broadcast?
I think Andrew has been using a PA system too, not 100% sure though. Anyways I hope you get a tape and share!
Schoeps MK22, MK41 - Matched Pairs
Schoeps CMC6 x4, Schoeps CMR - Pair
Naiant Tinybox, Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+), Naiant PFA
SD MixPre-6ii, Edirol R-44 (OCM), Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2D

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2020, 05:37:38 PM »
I had looked at Tecsun PL-880 for exactly this purposes. It has a built-in telescopic antenna, so I'd look to put an SMA or BNC port on it. But that looked nice for drive-in FM pulls.

I used this model for a recent drive-in.  Great reception with the stock antenna without modification.  Unit has both headphone out and line out (obviously I used the latter).  I wasn't thrilled with the captured sound though--mono and compressed.  Don't know how much of that was due to the broadcast signal vs the radio itself.

How's it sound with regular FM audio? I could see the transmission being mono and compressed, but hard to say.

Listening now to the line out with regular FM.  Sounds the same, mono and compressed.  Seems what DSatz noted earlier was correct.

It's been gone for decades so I can't test but I remember my old stereo boombox sounding sparkling clear through headphones.  Or maybe it was just the glow of youth.

Certainly this Tecsun is only built to output one channel.  Still glad to have it around though.  A decent portable radio is a good thing to have.

DSatz said:
<<Actually I disagree. Portable radios don't generally have very wide dynamic range or flat frequency response. They generally have just one signal path, with its response tailored to their built-in amplifier and speaker or speakers. Low-noise, low-distortion circuitry would raise the cost of manufacture significantly, when the market segment that cares about such things is so tiny, it's almost non-existent.>>
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline Scooter123

• "I am not an alcoholic. I am a drunk. Drunks don't go to meetings."
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2020, 09:44:49 PM »
The Tecsun PL-880 is a clone of the C. Crane radios distributed here in California and are similarly priced, quite high actually.

I have a mountain cabin, and the C. Crane radio is the only one I've found that can pick up any stations up there.  Both the Tecsun and the C.Crane have mono signals but stereo headphone output, so the receiver portion of the radio must be stereo.  Well, at least that's my assumption
Regards,
Scooter123

mk41 > N Box  > Sony M-10
mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
« Reply #18 on: October 04, 2020, 02:32:04 AM »

Bump
...Android phones have a built-in FM tuner which utilizes the headphone or line cable as an antenna..
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline hoserama

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #19 on: October 04, 2020, 04:01:34 AM »
My experience with using headphone ground antenna systems with ALD recordings has been challenging. Much much easier having an independent antenna.
Audio: Countryman B3 + AT853(hypers/cards/subcards) + SBD feeds
Wireless Receivers: Lots of those
Antennas: Lots of those
Cables: Lots of those
Recorders: TE TX-6, Zoom L20R, Zoom F8, (3) Tascam 680, (3) Tascam 2D, Zoom H6, and a graveyard of irivers/nomads/minidiscs.

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2020, 12:15:06 PM »
Actually that's why I recommend the C. Crane--it has an external female port for an external antenna if you want to use it.  However, we have a huge double bay antenna set up in our cabin which I tuned to a distant NPR radio station.  The C.Crane pulls in better reception with its whip than my $50 two bay job and the Adcom. 

Sigh ...........

Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

Offline tapeheadtoo

• Taperssection Member
    • My Dime stuff
« Reply #21 on: October 05, 2020, 07:04:32 PM »
I'm learning more about this Tecsun unit.  There is actually an "FM ST." button which works with both the headphone out and line out.  It still sounds compressed but at least it's in stereo.

Unfortunately with the cooler weather approaching there probably won't be too many more drive in shows this year to capture.  Assuming the FM transmission is in stereo (for our shows it was broadcast to two frequencies, 91.3 and 91.9) the Tecsun stereo output would be adequate, I suppose.
Mics: Schoeps MK4, DPA 4061, AT953, Shure MV88
Preamps/BB: Nbox, tinybox, ST-9100, CA-UGLY, SP-SPSB-10
Recorders: In use--Teenage Engineering TX6, Tascam DR-2d, Sony PCM-A10, Zoom L-20R; collecting dust--Sony M10, Ediirol R-09, Zoom H4n, Zoom H6, Cymatic LR16
Video: In use--Panasonic VX981, Panasonic ZS100, GoPro Hero 10/11; collecting dust--Sony HDR-CX520V, Sony HX9V, Panasonic ZS3/ZS7

Offline Scooter123

« Reply #22 on: October 08, 2020, 10:32:14 PM »
I can confirm today that the C.Crane FM Tuner is indeed stereo
Regards,
Scooter123

mk4 > N Box > Sony M-10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com