Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MK21 vs MK22?  (Read 17639 times)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • 😈
MK21 vs MK22?
« on: October 27, 2020, 12:42:04 PM »
anyone care to comment on the differences?

Thanks!
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
Re: MK21 vs MK22?
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2020, 03:18:25 PM »
I'm attaching pictures of their polar patterns which is basically the difference. Links to Phish MPP II from last summer below.

The mk21 is halfway between the mk2 omni and the mk4 card- it's a classic "subcardioid," and sounds much like an omni, except that you can aim it. It's great for use outside, onstage, FOB or anywhere the sound is good and louder than the crowd. Big bass response. I love using a mk21 as a mid in a m/s (like this: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1c_ea6rAmjD-72IB8SlVWPp6GyUBGsLAF?usp=sharing, or this from MGB at the egg in Albany: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1Bz8U0q5zboSE7mHc4b-pGt0HnnzuFXED?usp=sharing)

The mk22 is halfway between the mk21 and the mk4, so a slightly tighter pattern which still retains the open sound of a sub card. It's useful everywhere, and I run it at every show- OTS, On Stage, FOB, everywhere. It's open enough to capture everything, and yet directional enough to reject enough of the room and the crowd to make a good audience tape even from a compromised location.
If I could only have one schoeps pair it would be the mk22 (Same show with the mk22 pair: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/18RIQ1zUWsbA3WfMRHNj2Ym4AmxkoBTy-?usp=sharing)

When you get the mk22 in the right spot it can be magic: https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/1XAdOA9jVlqK1zygWw_sOd9i5LYVHyGmz?usp=sharing (That's 6/28/16 Mann Music center, from the DFC Balcony rail)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2023, 07:23:17 AM by noahbickart »
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #2 on: October 29, 2020, 10:19:45 PM »
For the type of recording I mostly do (classical ensembles and opera), the MK 22 has wider application than the MK 21. It's become my favorite capsule.

However, there have been a few times when I've become aware that the MK 21 would be just the right thing for a particular situation--and then it was sensational. One of the best-sounding concert recordings that I've ever made was made with the MK 21. Basically I think of the MK 21 as an omni that can nonetheless be used on a stereo bar of reasonable length to get a recording with a reasonable stereo image. That way you get 80% or more of the yummy, fun goodness that makes people want to use omnidirectional microphones, but you also get consistent (if not too emphatic) localization and no "phasiness".

The MK 22's advantage is that it helps to sort out multiple, diverse sound sources, where the MK 21s blend them together somewhat more. However, that's a concern that may not apply to arena recording where the main sound source is a P.A. system in which all the instruments and microphone signals are already mixed together, I dunno.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2020, 11:38:08 PM »
would you say the mk21 is inferior to the mk22 for our application when it comes to stereo imaging?
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline weroflu

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: October 30, 2020, 07:00:04 AM »
Dsatz: care to comment on proximity effect of the mk21?

Offline aaronji

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #5 on: October 30, 2020, 08:32:55 AM »
^ I don't know specifically about the MK21, but the DPA4015 has a similar polar pattern and, I would guess, a more-or-less similar proximity effect. Here is DPA's graph for the 4015; maybe this helps...

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: October 30, 2020, 09:33:22 AM »
aaronji, that's a very interesting set of graphs. Thanks for posting it. That's the kind of thing I wish more manufacturers would do.

weroflu, I've never used either type of capsule for close-up recording and your question makes me realize that I've never seen measurement results of proximity effect for any Schoeps microphones. Proximity effect depends on the physical geometry of a capsule, so it's not something that should vary much among microphones of the same general size / shape / operating principle. All other things being equal, the greater the proportion of pressure gradient sensitivity that a microphone has (i.e. the more it is like a figure-8 and the less it is like an omni), the greater the proximity effect.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2020, 12:16:58 PM by DSatz »

Offline wforwumbo

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: October 30, 2020, 10:11:15 AM »
I’ve run my 21s next to Noah’s 22s a handful of times. DSatz’s assessment is fairly accurate - the 22 in practice seems to give slightly more defined imaging of sources, and the 21 gives a more “realistic/hi-fi” capture of the room, which can give a “hazier” image.

My thoughts for taping: The 21’s bass response is noticeably better than the 22’s to my ear. The 21 reaches deeper and maintains its definition to lower frequencies. Though this isn’t to say the 22 lacks bass by any means. I also prefer the 22’s treble to the 21’s: I hear a softer and more pleasant mild roll off in the top end of the 22, whereas the 21’s treble is aggressively honest and at times unpleasant. This said, I’ve preferred my results on the 21 when massively cutting the angle to much lower than we as tapers are used to using - the best results I’ve gotten from it are in A-B, followed by 30cm/60 degrees. I think the 21 is a LOT more open than we give it credit for. To wit, a good comparison I think would be to think of the 21 more as an omni you can aim, whereas the 22 is more of a cardioid that brings in the bass. The 21 definitely captures way more room and the 22 captures less room, when deployed similarly. From OTS, I think the 22 is a more forgiving cap and will be more likely to pull a tape that is more enjoyable to listen to, though there’s something to be said about “getting it right” with the 21 (which is still something I don’t feel I have figured out just yet).

It isn’t a 1-1 mapping, but on 12/31/18 Noah and I both ran out mics on the same stand 15’ up in the air. I believe Noah ran his mk22 pair at 50ish cm PAS, and I ran my 21s in 35 cm/65 degrees. We both used Mixpre-6’s, Nbob KCYs, and Naiant PFAs (though Noah’s run 60V and mine 48V). This should give you a better idea of their similarities and differences. If the etree links are dead just poke us and we would both be happy to get the tapes in your hand so you can spin for yourself.

In the studio, I only have experience with the 21. I don’t experience much proximity effect on guitars or drums, which is mostly what I use it on. Certainly nowhere near what I get with the mk4. I like this a lot actually, as I can throw a cmc521 on my guitar cabs and get an honest omni-like capture of my Mesas while getting *some* rear rejection of me playing in front of my amp. The treble is also a lot more manageable on a source up close, ime.
North Jersey native, Upstate veteran, proud Texan

2x Schoeps mk2; 2x Schoeps mk21; 2x Schoeps mk4

4x Schoeps cmc5; 4x Schoeps KC5; Nbob KCY; Naiant PFA

EAA PSP-2

Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline prepschoolalumniblues

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Scents and subtle sounds
    • Phish.net Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 30, 2020, 11:19:44 AM »
I’ve preferred my results on the 21 when massively cutting the angle to much lower than we as tapers are used to using - the best results I’ve gotten from it are in A-B, followed by 30cm/60 degrees.

I really enjoyed reading your detailed post — thanks. What does your spacing tend to look like for A-B?
Oktava MK-012 > Marantz PMD661 (Oade Warm Plus Mod)
AT853 > Marantz PMD620MKII (Oade Concert Mod)

Offline wforwumbo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #9 on: October 30, 2020, 11:35:36 AM »
I’ve preferred my results on the 21 when massively cutting the angle to much lower than we as tapers are used to using - the best results I’ve gotten from it are in A-B, followed by 30cm/60 degrees.

I really enjoyed reading your detailed post — thanks. What does your spacing tend to look like for A-B?

Cheers. Also, a+ avatar - always fun finding another Spacemen 3 fan in the wild. Fun story for another time: my best friend and his old bandleader (The Lilys, if you know them) were invited in the early aughts to become their guitar section for a one-off tour, one of his biggest regrets is saying no due to health issues he was facing.

For A-B, I've used 30, 35, 45, and 60 cm. I find that with the 21 - and, for that matter, most Schoeps capsules I have used - there is a massive amount of bass response gained when you move to 30 cm, and past that it's just "more or less spacious/image of the room" with a bigger hole in the middle, and outside of that there's not a massive gain in bass response to my ear in the section. I prefer running at 30-35 cm for practical reasons.

This is, of course, assuming amplified rock music. I have yet to experiment with wider splits for classical, based on intuition I would expect for something like pipe organ (which one of my mentors, David Griesinger, has discussed with me at length) I would probably want a split of upwards of 25-30 feet.

EAA PSP-2

Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #10 on: October 30, 2020, 12:23:34 PM »
Thanks all! Fascinating stuff.

😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #11 on: October 30, 2020, 05:47:10 PM »
I’ve run my 21s next to Noah’s 22s a handful of times...  It isn’t a 1-1 mapping, but on 12/31/18 Noah and I both ran out mics on the same stand 15’ up in the air. I believe Noah ran his mk22 pair at 50ish cm PAS, and I ran my 21s in 35 cm/65 degrees. We both used Mixpre-6’s, Nbob KCYs, and Naiant PFAs (though Noah’s run 60V and mine 48V). This should give you a better idea of their similarities and differences.

Here's my tape from that night:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16PK63wwpO-mTHbLxqgBo2UmDgwXv3JSm?usp=sharing
Phish
Madison Square Garden
December 31, 2018

Schoeps Schoeps mk22 (PAS ~65° @ 45cm)> nbob kcy> Schoeps VMS 02ib (+20db)> Sound Devices Mixpre6 (Channels 5 & 6 Line in @ 24bit / 48kHz)
Location: OTS, DFC. Clamped above padelimike's centered stand, ~16' High.
Transfer: Sound Devices Mixpre6> USB-C> Macbook Pro> Sound Studio (Tracking & Fades)> xAct (SBE & Tags)

Recorded and transferred by Phishrabbi <noahbickart@gmail.com>

Set I:
Intro
The Moma Dance
Stray Dog
Sand
Lawn Boy
Steam >
Chalk Dust Torture >
What's The Use?
Play By Play
Waste
Ass Handed
Run Like An Antelope
Outro

Set II:
Intro
Down With Disease
Farmhouse
Seven Below >
Twist
Harry Hood
Passing Through
Harry Hood
Outro

Set III:
Intro
Mercury
Auld Lang Syne
Say It To Me S.A.N.T.O.S.
Simple >
Saw It Again
Limb By Limb
Rock And Roll >
Suzy Greenberg
Encore Break
The Lizards
Character Zero
Outros
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 10:35:54 AM »
wforwumbo, this gets to the question of the minimum spacing for good-sounding A/B recordings. The dominant tradition in U.S. classical recording has been very wide spacing (think microphones at the 1/3 and 2/3 points along the stage width), while "Decca Tree" recording is more moderate, but still several times wider than you're talking about.

In most of continental Europe the spacings have generally been smaller, more like what you're talking about--which American-trained engineers who've never tried it sometimes look at, and ask in all sincerity, "But how can you possibly get enough separation for stereo that way?"

It's interesting that you report, 'there is a massive amount of bass response gained when you move to 30 cm, and past that it's just "more or less spacious/image of the room" with a bigger hole in the middle, and outside of that there's not a massive gain in bass response to my ear in the section.' The increase in spaciousness gained by increasing the microphone spacing is just what one would expect--but ordinarily I wouldn't expect the overall quantity of bass pickup to be affected by stereo vs. mono recording, unless it was mono recording from a particularly bass-deprived spot in a hall that has severely irregular reinforcement of low frequencies to begin with, i.e. a bad choice and/or really bad luck. Even then I would expect the comparable stereo recording to sound imbalanced (I mean L vs. R) in the bass. What do you think creates the impression of "more bass" assuming that it sounds balanced in your recordings?

--best regards

Offline wforwumbo

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 09:54:42 PM »
wforwumbo, this gets to the question of the minimum spacing for good-sounding A/B recordings. The dominant tradition in U.S. classical recording has been very wide spacing (think microphones at the 1/3 and 2/3 points along the stage width), while "Decca Tree" recording is more moderate, but still several times wider than you're talking about.

In most of continental Europe the spacings have generally been smaller, more like what you're talking about--which American-trained engineers who've never tried it sometimes look at, and ask in all sincerity, "But how can you possibly get enough separation for stereo that way?"

It's interesting that you report, 'there is a massive amount of bass response gained when you move to 30 cm, and past that it's just "more or less spacious/image of the room" with a bigger hole in the middle, and outside of that there's not a massive gain in bass response to my ear in the section.' The increase in spaciousness gained by increasing the microphone spacing is just what one would expect--but ordinarily I wouldn't expect the overall quantity of bass pickup to be affected by stereo vs. mono recording, unless it was mono recording from a particularly bass-deprived spot in a hall that has severely irregular reinforcement of low frequencies to begin with, i.e. a bad choice and/or really bad luck. Even then I would expect the comparable stereo recording to sound imbalanced (I mean L vs. R) in the bass. What do you think creates the impression of "more bass" assuming that it sounds balanced in your recordings?

--best regards

I want to respond to this a bit more when I get back from dinner, but my thesis statement will be along the lines of: I suspect that 30 cm is a “lower limit” for capturing pleasant interaural time difference cues. It’s not that we don’t get “better” or “more” at wider distances, it’s that ~30 cm happens to be a heuristic minimum distance for pleasing the temporal side of the binaural system.

EAA PSP-2

Sound Devices Mixpre-6

Offline fireonshakedwnstreet

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • David
« Reply #14 on: November 01, 2020, 01:13:36 AM »
I’ve run my 21s next to Noah’s 22s a handful of times...  It isn’t a 1-1 mapping, but on 12/31/18 Noah and I both ran out mics on the same stand 15’ up in the air. I believe Noah ran his mk22 pair at 50ish cm PAS, and I ran my 21s in 35 cm/65 degrees. We both used Mixpre-6’s, Nbob KCYs, and Naiant PFAs (though Noah’s run 60V and mine 48V). This should give you a better idea of their similarities and differences.

Here's my tape from that night:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/16PK63wwpO-mTHbLxqgBo2UmDgwXv3JSm?usp=sharing
Phish
Madison Square Garden
December 31, 2018

This is a great tape. Nothing else to add except that these are dream mics.
Mics: AT 3031; AT 853Rx (c, o); Samson C02; Studio Projects C4 (c, o, h); Nak 300/Tascam PE-125/JVC M510 (cp-1, cp-2, cp-3, JVC M510 superdirectional caps)
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 MkII; Tascam DR-70D
Pres: Edirol UA-5 (Oade PMod & WMod); Marantz PMD661 (OCM); Marantz PMD620 (Oade WMod); Naiant MidBox; Shure FP11 (x2)
https://archive.org/details/@fireonshakedwnstreet

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.124 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com