Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Extrenal HD trouble...  (Read 4293 times)

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Extrenal HD trouble...
« on: December 17, 2020, 06:04:06 PM »
I had a couple of Western Digital 500GB External HD's over at my brothers house. Picked them up today just to see what was on them.

When I plug them into my Windows machine they show up in Disk Management as a "Healthy" drive, but not as a lettered hard drive.

Any tips to see what is on these? Maybe some sort of software that can help recover them.

They have been sitting for about 10 years, so possibly fubar'd. Mostly curious what was on them. Way back I lost a bunch of shows, so they may be on them, but I'm pretty sure that was prior to these HD's being in existence.

If I can't figure out how to read them in the enclosures (they are factory enclosures), I may just take the HD's out and put them in my desktop.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
Re: Extrenal HD trouble...
« Reply #1 on: December 17, 2020, 06:10:48 PM »
a lot of times that is volume corruption

theres a low level disk recovery software called restorer2K (now "restorer ultimate") that ive used for years. they have a demo where you should be able to look at the files (but you need paid version to recover). Its well worth it, imo, ive used it many many times after windows borking my removable drives

https://www.bitmart.net/restorer-ultimate/
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2020, 06:17:08 PM »
Yep. Pulled them up with Macrium Reflect. They show as unformatted there.

I'll give that program a try. Thanks.

PRO TIP: Check your backups more often that every 10 years. :P These aren't really backups for me. I'm 99% sure I have all of the data from these, but mostly curious.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline Gordon

• Trade Count: (22)
    • my list
« Reply #3 on: December 18, 2020, 10:57:29 AM »
The fact they show as healthy in disk management doesn't mean much.  Check the smart readings for failing sectors.  Any caution related to sectors is bad!

https://crystalmark.info/en/software/crystaldiskinfo/

For recovery if the other software doesn't work r-studio is great!

https://www.r-studio.com/
Microtech Gefell M20 or M21 > Nbob actives > Naiant PFA > Sound Devices MixPre-6 II @ 32/48

https://archive.org/details/fav-gordonlw

https://archive.org/details/teamdirtysouth

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2021, 05:28:34 PM »
I had a couple of Western Digital 500GB External HD's over at my brothers house. Picked them up today just to see what was on them.

When I plug them into my Windows machine they show up in Disk Management as a "Healthy" drive, but not as a lettered hard drive.

Any tips to see what is on these? Maybe some sort of software that can help recover them.
Could they be formatted for mac?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2021, 12:13:12 AM »

Sorry. Never updated this. Turns out that was the case. My bro and I had the same external drives. I had my backups stored at his house and he accidentally hooked mine up to his Mac and must have formatted the drive.

In the end it didn't matter. I found all of the recordings that were missing from various sources.

I actually also just grabbed some backup drives from a safe deposit box. Those were totally fine.

Offline morst

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2021, 12:38:39 AM »

Sorry. Never updated this. Turns out that was the case. My bro and I had the same external drives. I had my backups stored at his house and he accidentally hooked mine up to his Mac and must have formatted the drive.

In the end it didn't matter. I found all of the recordings that were missing from various sources.

I actually also just grabbed some backup drives from a safe deposit box. Those were totally fine.
ah good. I was looking for something else, and couldn't find it, and saw this thread... not THAT long ago haha!

Offline lynchie

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2021, 09:19:04 AM »
I have a maxtor that I can't get the files from. They are all there, I've scanned the drive and the files appear to be virus free but can't access any of them.
DPA 4023's,mg210's
Sonosax Sx-m32
Mixpre 6ii
Oppo DV-981 HD>Grace 901>ancient Harmon Kardon Citation>Klipsch HSF 8.5 floor speakers

Offline morst

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2021, 04:50:54 PM »
I have a maxtor that I can't get the files from. They are all there, I've scanned the drive and the files appear to be virus free but can't access any of them.
PC or mac or linux? USB interface external?

Offline lynchie

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2021, 08:06:20 AM »
PC or mac or linux? USB interface external?
PC . and yes, USB interface extrernal.
DPA 4023's,mg210's
Sonosax Sx-m32
Mixpre 6ii
Oppo DV-981 HD>Grace 901>ancient Harmon Kardon Citation>Klipsch HSF 8.5 floor speakers

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2021, 08:16:26 AM »
a lot of times that is volume corruption

theres a low level disk recovery software called restorer2K (now "restorer ultimate") that ive used for years. they have a demo where you should be able to look at the files (but you need paid version to recover). Its well worth it, imo, ive used it many many times after windows borking my removable drives

https://www.bitmart.net/restorer-ultimate/

last i checked this is free to try, and if you can see your files, buy the software to recover
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline lynchie

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2021, 08:25:13 AM »
I can only see the files when I did a virus scan on the drive. But once that is completed, the drive looks to be empty.

Thanks for the heads up, think I'll give this a try.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2021, 08:30:42 AM by lynchie »
DPA 4023's,mg210's
Sonosax Sx-m32
Mixpre 6ii

Offline The Other Chris

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • My list:
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 11:39:07 AM »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.064 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com