Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday - Red Rocks

(1/3) > >>

Mr.Fantasy:
Hey all,

I attended the Jerry Garcia 75th Birthday show at Red Rocks a few years back with my old man and my brother. My dad is a Tulsa native who managed to attend 168 Dead shows while Jerry was alive. So, I guess I'm a second generation taper. Dad taught me what he knew (he used Nak 300s with Shotguns into a Marantz three-head deck).

Anyways, I recorded the aforementioned show and taped it using my trusty Edirol R09 and my chopped Nak 300s that I purchased on TS years ago now. I consider it to be one of my better, large, outdoor venue recordings.

To the point now. I have enjoyed listening to the recording as-is. But I have never tried to "do anything" to it in post-production to, I don't know, improve it? Clean it up? Get the most out of it?

I wondered if there was anyone here on the TS that would be willing to take a look? Maybe help me out a bit? Offer some feedback maybe?

My dad and brother love the recording (for nostalgia if nothing else), and I really wish that I had the skills to know what I was doing in post production so that I could see if I could improve it somehow.

I also do not understand what needs done to post this dude to the Internet Archive. If anyone can help me with that...I'd be very Grateful!

I have the recording on my Dropbox account...and I think that might be the easiest way to share it with any interested parties.

Any help is appreciated! Thanks in advance!

morst:
I'll take a look at it and tell you what I'd do?
I usually use zero EQ and compression, but I do use gain and a mastering limiter.
You can PM me the link if you don't want to post it here.
Welcome to the site, not too many legacy tapers that I know of!!

I can also assist with archive.org prep and uploads if you have specific questions after browsing and searching this site.

Mr.Fantasy:
Thanks Morst! I've PM'd you!

Chris K:
Find a good 5 band parametric EQ VST/plugin, and a good multiband compressor for your audio editor/DAW.

Most good DAWs will have these already. There are mastering bundles like Ozone and Waves that have these.

Take it EASY with both as less is more IMO.

Experiment and learn...there are tons of tutorials on how to use each on yootoob.

Good luck!

morst:

--- Quote from: Mr.Fantasy on April 30, 2021, 12:25:18 PM ---Thanks Morst! I've PM'd you!

--- End quote ---
Levels look good, I can't add more than +1 to +3dB gain, without it being way too much.
I'll take a listen after Jazz Festing In Place stops for the day.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version