Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony PCM-M10 problems  (Read 3964 times)

Offline dogmusic

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
Sony PCM-M10 problems
« on: May 02, 2021, 08:22:28 AM »
My original M10 (2009) has developed serious problems. It will no longer recognize any memory cards, even those that had been formatted in it.

I would be fine with recording into the internal memory, but my M10 now won’t connect to my computer either, so the recorded files can only be transferred analog through the line-out — a total PITA.

Sony Canada will still repair it but charges $175 if I don’t accept their estimate.

There are a bunch of M10’s on eBay from Japan for around $250 CAD that claim to “work” but who knows what that means.

Does anyone know if there is a “factory reset” option on the M10? I’ve looked in the manual but can’t see one.

I haven’t found any recorder more convenient and as good sounding as the M10 for my purposes: sitting on my piano to record music ideas.

Any suggestions would be welcomed. Thanks.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: Sony PCM-M10 problems
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2021, 08:57:33 AM »
You can try this restart procedure:

https://helpguide.sony.net/icd/pcma10/v1/en2/contents/TP0001677672.html

If you can’t fix yourself, post an ISO here. They do come up occasionally.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2021, 09:30:43 AM »
You can try this restart procedure:

https://helpguide.sony.net/icd/pcma10/v1/en2/contents/TP0001677672.html

If you can’t fix yourself, post an ISO here. They do come up occasionally.

Thanks for your reply and that suggestion which I tried. The M10 doesn't seem to respond as the A10 would in that restart process. If you hold down the power switch for a long time, the M10 starts and then eventually just powers down.

When I connected it to my computer, it did the same as before: the connector window alternating between the graphic and a blank screen, unable to connect.

Yes, I may post in the Yard Sale.

Thanks again.
"The ear is much more than a mere appendage on the side of the head." - Catherine Parker Anthony, Structure and Function of the Human Body (1972)

"That's metaphysically absurd, man! How can I know what you hear?" - Firesign Theatre

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2021, 10:05:53 AM »
I wonder if the card slot and USB port have dirt/grease? You could try shooting some electrical contact cleaner in there. Have you tried different cables and computers to rule those out?

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2021, 04:48:48 PM »
I wonder if the card slot and USB port have dirt/grease? You could try shooting some electrical contact cleaner in there. Have you tried different cables and computers to rule those out?

Tried contact cleaner and compressed air. Also different cables and computers. No luck yet.

I may fire up an old iMac and see if the M10 might connect with an earlier operating system.

Offline Sebastian

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2021, 08:05:14 AM »
If both the card slot and USB port don't work, I suspect the USB controller chip to be the problem.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2021, 08:38:28 AM »
If both the card slot and USB port don't work, I suspect the USB controller chip to be the problem.

Thanks for the reply, and I think you're right that the USB chip is wonky. But I had some luck as I explain in the next post.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: May 03, 2021, 08:51:14 AM »
I may fire up an old iMac and see if the M10 might connect with an earlier operating system.

I fired up a very old Mac, an iBook running 10.3.9, and it worked! The Internal Memory mounted on the computer, with the M10 screen no longer flashing when connected.

So I can still download the digital files, and this basically keeps the M10 in service, (as well as the iBook, thus demonstrating to my wife the great benefit of never throwing anything out ...).

Sebastian is probably correct about the USB controller, that something is wrong to not enable it to connect to a newer software.

Thanks dyneq and Sebastian for your help.

« Last Edit: May 03, 2021, 09:01:57 AM by dogmusic »

Offline dyneq

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: May 03, 2021, 09:46:05 AM »
Great news! It's still a great recorder, glad you were able to keep it going.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • The plural of anecdote is not data
« Reply #9 on: May 03, 2021, 09:50:44 AM »
thats great news but i would definitely have a backup if relying on it in the field. The gremlins seem to come out at the most inopportune times
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2021, 10:46:45 AM »
Great news! It's still a great recorder, glad you were able to keep it going.

Thanks again.

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: May 03, 2021, 10:49:21 AM »
thats great news but i would definitely have a backup if relying on it in the field. The gremlins seem to come out at the most inopportune times

Very true. I'll be testing it for quite awhile before using it in critical recordings.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2021, 11:04:24 AM »
the ICD560 and 570 series are great backups. cheap, small, and efficient. 16 bit though but no biggie if your levels are halfway decent
Unable to post or PM due to arbitrary censorship of people the mod doesn't like. Please email me using the link in my profile if you need to connect

Offline dogmusic

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2021, 11:54:39 AM »
the ICD560 and 570 series are great backups. cheap, small, and efficient. 16 bit though but no biggie if your levels are halfway decent

Glad you reminded me. I did buy an ICD560 on your recommendation but I've never gotten around to using it. This sounds like a good time to put it in action.

Offline jerryfreak

• No PZ
« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2021, 12:05:28 PM »
yeah you just need a way to control levels like a headphone or line out with volume control. i like the 560 over the 570 as it shows you margin on levels. the UI is almost identical to an A10, which only has a few more dB of dynamic range improvement anyway. fora backup youre not gonna use 90% of the time the 560 is ideal 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com