Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Stereo microphone ruler  (Read 8806 times)

Offline b9audio

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
Stereo microphone ruler
« on: May 04, 2021, 03:34:43 AM »
Coming out with a stereo microphone setting ruler.
NOS, ORTF, XY90, XY120, PF(B9audio setting, 7cm, 110degree), Gerzon(5cm, 120degree), VR A for double FSM44V VR A format.

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: Stereo microphone ruler
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2021, 10:03:06 AM »
OMG! How much in USD?
I think several tapers on here would consider buying one.

music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2021, 11:22:30 AM »
Nice take on it with the use of the clear polycarbonate.  Elegant.

This obviously works for setup of side-address capsules, but will also work for end address capsules by squaring them up with the diaphragm line and arrow inside each mic circle.

If it doesn't clutter it up too much you might consider placing cm markings along one edge on future production runs, providing a useful measure for other near-spaced setups  or whatever else needs to be measured.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2021, 11:47:56 AM »
That is really neat, and Gutbucket makes a great point (as usual) about the usefulness of centimeter markings.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 02:01:28 PM »
Yes, I did consider this, but it may become too cumbersome. Maybe next version. The material is not polycarbonate, it is PMMA.

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 04:32:46 PM »
Oops I did it again. Forgive me for jumping in and suggesting alternate designs for your well-though-out and implemented equipment.

That's even better as PMMA (acrylic) tends to be harder and less prone to scratching than polycarbonate and likely etches/engraves better.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2021, 12:13:45 AM »
Oops I did it again. Forgive me for jumping in and suggesting alternate designs for your well-though-out and implemented equipment.

That's even better as PMMA (acrylic) tends to be harder and less prone to scratching than polycarbonate and likely etches/engraves better.

Gutbucket, you're pro. Your opinion is means a lot. I also wonder if it is a good choice to keep or to remove centimeter marking. At the end, I choose don't keep it. Worry it might confuse the user with a lot of marking, as the layout came out, it seems already kind of full of information.

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2021, 01:06:25 AM »
Gutbucket, you're right, I am working to add centimeter marking.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2021, 06:45:56 PM »
This is a very cool idea for a product.

What is that mic array flanking the b9audio logo? I can't quite make it out, but it looks like 110 deg with very close spacing.

I'm going to follow Gutbucket's lead and offer a small suggestion for a future revision: You might consider condensing both of the X/Y arrangements and the Blumlein down to a single circle each, showing two diaphragms within the same circle. That arrangement is not always going to possible in practice, especially with side-address capsules next to each other, but that's the ideal. A manufacturing benefit is that you would be able to eliminate 3 circles from the bar and make it that much shorter, lowering your materials cost a bit.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline boa

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
  • crowesbase loves you
    • crowesbase:an.amorican.archive
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2021, 09:59:48 PM »
That is really neat, and Gutbucket makes a great point (as usual) about the usefulness of centimeter markings.

I agree. I would buy one with cm markings today.
Microtech Gefell m22 >  Babynbox > Sony m10acm
Microtech Gefell mv200/m21 > Aerco mp2 > Roland r44ocm

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #10 on: May 07, 2021, 03:01:50 AM »
Revised edition. Centimeter marks, white printing.

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #11 on: May 07, 2021, 04:51:23 AM »
It's here. Thank Gutbucket and all value comments.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2021, 05:10:46 AM by b9audio »

Offline b9audio

• Taperssection Regular
    • B9audio
« Reply #12 on: May 07, 2021, 05:12:15 AM »
This is a very cool idea for a product.

What is that mic array flanking the b9audio logo? I can't quite make it out, but it looks like 110 deg with very close spacing.

I'm going to follow Gutbucket's lead and offer a small suggestion for a future revision: You might consider condensing both of the X/Y arrangements and the Blumlein down to a single circle each, showing two diaphragms within the same circle. That arrangement is not always going to possible in practice, especially with side-address capsules next to each other, but that's the ideal. A manufacturing benefit is that you would be able to eliminate 3 circles from the bar and make it that much shorter, lowering your materials cost a bit.

The Gerzon pair is based on this article:
https://www.soundonsound.com/techniques/gerzon-array

Offline Gutbucket

« Reply #13 on: May 07, 2021, 09:41:55 AM »
^ That's a particularly well written and informative article, compared to many explanations of stereo microphone setups found on the internet.  Thanks for the link.  I like that they go in depth and mention the application of shuffling (increased stereo widening applied to the lower frequencies) for coincident and close-near-spaced setups, as I find it helpful when using these arrangements for concert recording with significant ambient pickup (in contrast to close stereo-mic'ing, or as one part of a larger array)

Your VR A setup appears identical to X/Y 120.  Is that so?   Curious about that one.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
« Reply #14 on: May 07, 2021, 10:19:13 AM »
It's here. Thank Gutbucket and all value comments.

^
Are you selling these?  Pricing?

hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.079 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com