Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

DAT Transfer Rig

(1/5) > >>

Scooter123:
I hope this post is in the right section, if not, then Spy has my permission to move it. 

I've had a number of PMs on the rig I use to transfer DATs.  I transferred about 1,000+ DATs (and some R2Rs) of national live bands from a local radio station to digital, and made a bunch of mistakes in the process.  By mistakes, I mean not fast forwarding and rewinding the DATs multiple times before playing them, using a cheap DAT deck for playback, and going directly into a computer through my I/O.  What has worked the best for me is this:

First, buy the best playback deck you can find.  I went through a bunch of DAT decks, almost all of which were crap.  I happened to find a Sony 7030 on eBay for $500  and had a local shop rebuild it.  It was the finest DAT deck made, and the original cost was $8,000, was rack mount, and weighs about 50 lbs.  It is a beast.  It has a 4- head rotary system, variable speed, 16 bit and either 44.1 or 48k with a signal to noise of > 90db,  It was designed to be easily serviced, with each section is clearly marked and separated into distinct boards much like Sony Broadcast video machines.  Digital out is three pin AES, not SPDIF.  It was replaced with a 7040 (with a remote), but otherwise the 7030 and 7040 are identical. 

Second, an AES to SPDIF converter.  I am no expert here, but I understand there is a difference, and that AES with its third pin was similar to a balanced analog signal.  I was going to hack a SPDIF connection into the AES and tried it, but the AES with a tried and true converter sounded way better.  My hack sounded, well, wonky.  Hosa makes a cheap AES to SPDIF converter for about $75.  I will admit that I do not know the difference between AES and SPDIF and why the converter supposedly sounds better. 

Third, I opted with a stand alone recorder with a SD Card.  I tried going directly into the computer via an I/O but got interference unless I disconnected my computer from the Internet and disabled all applications other than my DAW (which is Reaper).  It is way easier to use a stand alone recorder with a SPDIF input.  These seem to be rare now, so an old borrowed broken DR-680 (with bad channels) works great, since channels 5-6 (the digital input channels) were operating.  Make sure to adjust the output of the DAT to the same bit rate as the recording on the menu.  Hoserama helped me on this, thanks. 

Then just pluck out the SD Card or use a mini USB to USB cord to go into the computer and copy the files.  I find it easier to use the SD card and a card reader, but really its no big deal here.   

The key to this rig is the Sony 7030 which has had about 1,000 DATs run through it with two rebuilds.  The rebuild was $200 and I think was just a belt or two and cleaning and calibrating from a local LA vintage recording gear repair shop in North Hollywood.   

rocksuitcase:
Very nice. Anyone know where to locate a Sony 7030?    ;D :drool:

hoserama:
The Tascam 680 finding a new career in retirement!

Scooter123:
Hard to find recorders with a SPDIF input.  I guess they are obsolete.

rocksuitcase:

--- Quote from: Scooter123 on May 20, 2021, 10:53:25 AM ---Hard to find recorders with a SPDIF input.  I guess they are obsolete.

--- End quote ---
I also use a PMD661 for digi in capability

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version