Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Taping @ RR

(1/3) > >>

Top Hat:
Went through and read some great info for taping @ Red Rocks..What I have gathered is there is still some debate between mic config's. I have AKG mics 61's 63's and ck8's to choose from or a combination of. Instincts tell me to run the 61's due to the possibility of wind phasing but want to incorporate the shotguns into the mix weather pending. Any advice you can give this rookie?

jbell:
Run cards!! 

morst:
If positioning allows for a wide enough distance between capsules for it to give a decent stereo image, the math says that subcards (hypo not hyper!) & omni mics are less sensitive to wind than more directional patterns.
Personally, I run my mic stand AS LOW AS POSSIBLE at RR, due to wind. I'd rather have a chance for peoples' heads to block some gusts.
Be ready for early and potentially persistent rain. It often blasts you then clears up before the music starts.

rocksuitcase:
morst's point should be emphasized again: bring the largest, most wind reducing windscreens you have. The closer to the stage, the better as far as wind reduction. If you are near the SBD or OTS for those type of acts, run low use thick windscreens.

So, to summarize: at Red Rocks, the wind and rain/hail/lightning storms are more of a factor than which config to run.
PS- I would avoid ck8's there, any wind gusts get exacerbated resulting in audible "phasiness". The overall sound quality is so good IMO, results of recording depend on location, weather, gear in that order.

Top Hat:
Noted.. Great advice. I'm thinking running low and small so that I could just place a garbage bag over the gear entirely with the dead rats sticking out of the bags holes. I run the mics active and use an H6 all fixed to a expandable Manfrotto boom stick

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version