Gear / Technical Help > Microphones & Setup

Three mics - two cards XY and one omni. Working?

(1/3) > >>

Popmarter:
Picture this.
 >:D situation. Typical 500 people venue, black box. Hanging PA and some on stage.
Cards in XY setup and one  omni mic above it. FOB.

XY could be a bit thin, lacking low end, they say. Not sure if that would be the case in this scenario. If so, would a third omni mic help in this situation? Or be necessary? Any experiences?

fireonshakedwnstreet:
I did this in an awful room (bar) for the same reason and debated whether or not to even use the omni in the final mix. I ended up mixing it in -10 db. I knew there would be a lot chatter so ended up recording just the background noise and used noise reduction -3db and it seemed to help. You also have the option of EQing the bass up (or putting a warm plugin) on the cards. I'd say more channels is more options!

Gutbucket:
Well, you can always record it all to separate tracks and figure it out if it was worthwhile later by playing around with it in various ways.  You don't have to use it all.  I'm a big proponent of that. Its a good way to learn what works and what doesn't.

It makes sense to low-pass the omni afterward and just use it to fill in where the cardioid response drops off.  No one will call you crazy for doing that.  But it may not be that useful in an awful room.

If you aren't low-passing the omni you'll get a lot of monophonic reverberance.  A cardioid pattern is 50% omni and 50% bi-directional, so you have a lot of omni already without any spacing between coincident X/Y elements to decorellate the reverberant pickup. You really need to increase the angle between X/Y cardioids to compensate even without the omni, but that's problematic in a bad room. 

In general if I was recording an omni too and not low-passing it I'd want to space the cardioids out more than I would otherwise..  and if I did that I'd feel free to use less angle between the cardioids in a Point At Stacks arrangement that would be likely to work much better in an awful room.  In a bad room I'd Point At Stacks with sufficient spacing between mics to compensate for the narrow angle.. regardless of any omni or not (and probably not). 

If stuck with X/Y for whatever reason, consider vertical spacing on the stand, with the omni up a lot higher than the X/Y pair.  That will decorellate the high and mid frequency room pickup of the omni in comparison the the X/Y pair at least.

crackmc:
i’ve been toying with the idea of running split omnis w/ a cardioid in the center
or AB hypers with an omni in the middle
or a pair of __________ in a ___________ config with a __________ in the middle
…and encoding them to mid-side

i’ve been mildly obsessed since seeing the Reaper YouTube tutorial mid-side video

dyneq:
Since we’re talking LTO (less than open), I agree with Gutbucket that PAS with cards would work well. I use this method with a fixed distance and angle and try to position where the angle matches the stacks. If you can maximize proximity effect by getting closer, you will have more to work with in post.

Full PAS thread for reference (thanks, Gutbucket!):
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=167549.0

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version