Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: MicW Class 2 Omni stealth Microphone for cell phone?  (Read 1907 times)

Offline OrionMan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
MicW Class 2 Omni stealth Microphone for cell phone?
« on: September 01, 2021, 02:37:41 PM »
https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1632321-REG/micw_i437c_class_2_omni_microphone.html

"What's this?
-thumb drive.
Enjoy the show."

Anyone try this out on their cell phone?
Would it work as well as say as the budget Zoom H1n with it's internal mic?
I have not seen much reviews on it but so far thinking it is pretty pricey, but at the same time think it would never ever be an issue with security.
Any better options for having 100% hassle free confidence?

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: MicW Class 2 Omni stealth Microphone for cell phone?
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2021, 03:27:55 PM »
You don't really wanna record shows with a mono measurement mic, do you?
Wonder if you could use a USB-Hub and get a phone to recognize a pair of 'em though...
 ??? ??? ???
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2021, 03:38:12 PM »
I never noticed rock concerts having discrete left and right audio from each speaker side so didn't think it would matter.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2021, 06:53:41 PM »
I never noticed rock concerts having discrete left and right audio from each speaker side so didn't think it would matter.

We can explain why it does, but you needn't take our word for it since this is easy enough to determine for yourself, and there is no substitute for personal experience.  Grab a few live audience recordings (not soundboard recordings, or audience recordings mixed with a soundboard recording) from your personal collection, off archive.org or wherever, and listen to either channel in mono with the other muted, routing that channel to both speakers or both sides of your headphones.  How does it sound and feel to you in comparison to both channels active?  If perfectly acceptable, a mono recording may be all you need.

Objectively, and subjectively for most folks, the difference is significant.  What is actually being directly sampled and reproduced (quite imperfectly) is not some high-level abstracted nature of the source of the sound, but a few attributes of the sound-field that exists at the recording position, which is a very complex multi-dimensional thing.  To complicate things further, a recording provides a bunch of cues that your brain uses to create the illusion of whatever was being recorded. Stereo is actually only slightly better at capturing that complexity and reproducing important listening cues than mono, but that little bit more tends to be a pretty significant factor in creating an enjoyable experience for most listeners.

Like morst mentions, this USB microphone will generate interest at Taperssection for live music recording if there is a way for two of them to be connected to a phone in such a way that they can be used as a pair for stereo recording.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2021, 07:20:14 PM »
Thanks for the reply!

I only thought that the cheer of the crowd would be detected in stereo recording (or for any reason the mics moved around).
And possibly that ambient effect.  I use Davinci Resolve and it has (forgot the exact feature name) some sort of "spatial" control that lets you widen the sound stage and also add "brilliance" to the sound.  I thought I could use that feature to make it appear to be a stereo recording to fake that ambient sound.

So you think this mic would be decent, as long as they could be configured as stereo?

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2021, 07:40:36 PM »
Give a listen as described, besides the crowd, the sound of the performance is radiating differently in all directions, bouncing off of things and all around the space.  The reverberant sound of the performance is highly complex even for a solo performer or mono PA.

Spatial effect controls can only modify what's already there and typically work by attempting to enhance whatever difference there is between two stereo channels, and how well that works depends on a lot of things.

There are pseudo-stereo effects that create a more spatialized "somewhat stereo-like" output from a mono recording, but most of them aren't very good, and they will create the same effect every time rather than reflecting the attributes of the performance and space it was performed in which vary with every recording.  Usually, "faking it" in a convincing way is more difficult than actually recording in stereo.

No way to really tell how good it is without trying it out or talking to someone who has.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2021, 07:56:58 PM »
Thanks again!

Not only is there not much information about these, but the return policy isn't all that great, even if allowed (B&H has no return on this product).  So I will have to hunt around some more.  Thanks!

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2021, 12:34:53 PM »
A hub for two mikes wouldn't solve the problem of their having unsynchronized word clocks. You'd get one data stream from one mike and another, slightly longer or shorter (in terms of the number of samples in any given span of time) data stream from the other. So then you'd have to convert the sample rate of one or both streams to match each other.

That said, yeah, it makes a big difference whether you record mono or stereo, even for largely diffuse sound. The sound field isn't the same at any two points in space, and our brains are very talented at making something out of even very tiny differences between left and right "inputs" (ears). Those differences may not aid in the localization of sound sources, but they still make a (potentially) big difference to our subjective sense of the space that we're in, which is a huge part of the experience of hearing any live event.

Plus, the loudspeakers that pour the sound into the air in a venue are often quite sharply directional at the frequencies that matter (midrange, upper midrange). If they weren't, the result would be utter cacophany. So the effect of distance may be considerable, but it isn't the same as with direct acoustical sources that radiate more evenly in all directions.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2021, 01:32:15 PM »
A hub for two mikes wouldn't solve the problem of their having unsynchronized word clocks. You'd get one data stream from one mike and another, slightly longer or shorter (in terms of the number of samples in any given span of time) data stream from the other. So then you'd have to convert the sample rate of one or both streams to match each other.

That said, yeah, it makes a big difference whether you record mono or stereo, even for largely diffuse sound. The sound field isn't the same at any two points in space, and our brains are very talented at making something out of even very tiny differences between left and right "inputs" (ears). Those differences may not aid in the localization of sound sources, but they still make a (potentially) big difference to our subjective sense of the space that we're in, which is a huge part of the experience of hearing any live event.

Plus, the loudspeakers that pour the sound into the air in a venue are often quite sharply directional at the frequencies that matter (midrange, upper midrange). If they weren't, the result would be utter cacophany. So the effect of distance may be considerable, but it isn't the same as with direct acoustical sources that radiate more evenly in all directions.

--best regards

Thank you and everyone for the info.
I think I will just pass on this mic for now. 
Seems like too high of a cost when I could just as easily use a much less expensive Lavalier mic and wrap them around some bud or clip on headphones for stealth entry.  Or get a stereo set of Lavalierfor the same cost as one of these mics.
I'll get a cheap Lavalier ($60) as a backup for the cell phone and then a better stereo set (reading here that Church Adudio is pretty good) for my recorder as the main one.
Plus, there just isn't enough info about them.

Thanks!

Offline DavidPuddy

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • If it's too loud, turn it down.
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2021, 02:06:11 PM »

--best regards

Thank you and everyone for the info.
I think I will just pass on this mic for now. 
Seems like too high of a cost when I could just as easily use a much less expensive Lavalier mic and wrap them around some bud or clip on headphones for stealth entry.  Or get a stereo set of Lavalierfor the same cost as one of these mics.
I'll get a cheap Lavalier ($60) as a backup for the cell phone and then a better stereo set (reading here that Church Adudio is pretty good) for my recorder as the main one.
Plus, there just isn't enough info about them.

Thanks!

Don't bother with Church Audio - you'll never be able to repair them once they go bad. Save up and buy these from Sound Pros:

https://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/item/SP-CMC-4U
Mics: mk4v/mk41v/mk22 > CMC1L/Nbobs, 4061, MKE2
Preamps: Mixpre-D, Nbox Platinum ABS
Recorders: Mixpre-6 ii, PCM-A10

Offline OrionMan

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2021, 02:51:03 PM »
Hmmm....thinking some more now... I did read one, and only one post stating Church had a bad reputation here.  But a ton of good things about his stuff.  I think all the good stuff was from years ago (I only got on taperssection.com 3 days ago so everything I read about Church felt like comments left recently).

In your link, there is an option to choose "No Low Sensitivity".  That's when you don't want to use a battery box but instead use phantom power? (Sorry, I am new to recording audio using mics other than an all in one recorder). 

I have a Zoom H1 (reading here, it's not that great) and would want something that can at least handle the sound pressure of it's built in mics.  Which option would that be? 

If I wanted a little more SPL handling, without going to XLR or other really bulky equipment, (at most a small battery box), what options/accesories to get?

I read the entire page from that link but some things I am not grasping well.  I have seen Sound Profressionals web page yesterday and was overwhelmed with all their options and willing to purchase ASAP but just really lost right now.

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #11 on: September 02, 2021, 04:25:29 PM »
Love the size/look of that mic, but as others mentioned...it doesn't look idea.

This sacrifices some of the looks, but likely offers a lot more of what we're looking for: https://www.shure.com/en-US/products/microphones/mv88

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.104 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com