Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Regerators and Conditioners??  (Read 3508 times)

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
Regerators and Conditioners??
« on: April 09, 2003, 09:09:27 PM »
Reading some posts in here I see that people are using these.  Is the equipment that sensative that they are needed??  Power companys are required to provide AC voltage between (in NH anyway) 112 and 125 volts.  Surges *should* only occur when the neutral is broken between the street and your house.

Is it just insurance??  I'm just really curious.
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
Re:Regerators and Conditioners??
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2003, 09:51:57 PM »
Mike what does the conditioner do?  Does it clean up the power (remove vars) or regulate voltage to keep it constant or neither????  I can see how if you have high current amplifiers cleaning the power up would make a world of dirrerence as well as having the dedicated circuit to make sure volatage is not compromised other things being turned off and on.  NEAT stuff Mike!
"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

Offline BCostigan

• GranitePhotography
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2003, 10:25:15 PM »
I found this article and it cleared up my questions.  The conditioner is "cleaning up" the power (removing vars) like I thought.  Electric motors put "bad" power back into the system and the conditioner cleans the pwer up.

Here's the article:

http://www.hometoys.com/htinews/apr03/articles/panamax/smith.htm

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2003, 09:28:59 AM »
In my experience, power conditioners are highly system-dependent.  Some rigs love them, others HATE them.  

I haven't found one that sounds good in my rig yet :(  I'm hoping to try some PS Audio stuff soon.

A dedicated circuit is one of the cheapest and best upgrades you can make to your rig!  I noticed a fairly large difference when I ran 2 20A circuits for my hifi..

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com