Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: ROTEL gear ?  (Read 4269 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
ROTEL gear ?
« on: April 24, 2003, 07:59:01 AM »
Hey all....

boy, am I EVER having fun building my high-end system.  I'm still hopelessly hooked on Planar speakers, and am quite happy to find that Magnepans are easily had for short money used.  I demo'd some MG12's yesterday w/a velodyne sub and it was a very awesome sounding combo.

any way...I digress.
What are the thoughts on Rotel gear?  I'm looking at RB1080 power amp ($1000 new) and the RC1070 pre ($500 new).  $1500 for a new system (probably more like $750 - 1000 used), but would like to hear some opinions on the gear, the company and the "sound".

I'm thinking that some tubes would probably sound great w/the planar speaker transparency, and the rotels have no tubes.  but, it would be a great place to start and I can swap out componants w/friends (like Carl...who has a nice tube pre) to see what works best.

Offline Wiggler

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:ROTEL gear ?
« Reply #1 on: April 24, 2003, 09:51:31 AM »
Good review of the 1080.
http://www.stereophile.com/showarchives.cgi?608

If your not going to use a independent D/A converter I highly recommend The Njoe Tjoeb 4000 Cd player. You get 24bit/192 khz upsampling dac and a tube output stage for a very reasonable price.

(edit for spelling)
« Last Edit: May 05, 2007, 09:15:45 PM by Wiggler »

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #2 on: April 24, 2003, 10:37:21 AM »
thanks Mike.
I haven't bought anything yet.  Just shopping around for now.  I'm about to buy a new house, and I have no clue about what size my "listening room" will be.  So, i'm looking at a bunch of different sized speaker options.  I guess the electronics won't matter much in that regard (room size).  

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2003, 02:01:47 PM »
Hold off on the speaker purchase, then.  Electrostats and planars require lots of "room" around them in order to produce that lovely soundstage.  At least 4-5 feet for my friend's Martin Logan SL3's, and 3-4 feet for my other friend's ML Aerius.  Wiggler mentioned to me recently that Planars are quite similar in that regard.  I have heard a pair of 1.6's too close to the walls; not a pretty sound.  Very flat, no soundstaging to speak of.  Just make sure you have the room for them...  I'm dreaming of a pair of B&W N800 or N801's, but I'll have to wait a few years and another house 'till I have the room for those beasts.  As it is, my N805's sound alot better in my space than they would.  Matching speaker to room is VERY important....

As for Rotel, I never liked their stuff until recently.  I took a Rotel 2-channel poweramp home when I was auditioning and eventually bought my McCormack, and the Rotel was way outclassed by the McCormack and even a little Creek integrated.  Very grainy and fatiguing.  But I hear their newer stuff is getting much better (and loves to be paired with B&Ws, specifically); and I can vouch for their new RCD-1070 CDP.  Excellent, EXCELLENT CDP for the $$.  Their build quality is exemplary.  My local shop has seemingly dropped Arcam and Adcom b/c Rotel is kicking ass for the $$ right now.  I do love thier silver/black look; very classy.

I am actually selling my Cary CD-308 at the moment, another step above the Rotel, IMO.  24/96 upsampling, HDCD, even an analog volume control so you can run it right into an amp if you desire.  $1500 new.  If you're interested in mine, check my audiogon listing ($975).

As for tubed power amps and electrostats/planars, be very wary.  I have never heard ANY tube setup sound good with ML's; they dip VERY low in impedence, and their "capacative load" is not handled well at all by tubes.  For example, I used to have a little Jolida tube amp, very sweet with all the B&Ws I ran with it...  I took it over to my bud's house and his SL3 sounded like ASS through it.  It was almost as if the music was in syrup; very slow, no PRAT, nasty nasty.  It was magic (for the $$) with cone speakers, tho.  I heard ML's with killer audio research stuff at my local shop, and it just didn't have the juice to drive them; it was a similar scenario although not as marked.  Maggies are similar, in my experience...  The best Maggie setup I have heard to date is 1.6's through a pair of Bryston 4BST's.  I think you need the control of solid state for planars and 'stats...

If you like tubes, look at McCormack stuff.  IMO it's the best of both worlds; his gear combines the best of tube (lushness, soundstaging, harmonic richness) with the best of solid state (awesome bass control and grip, timing, extended high freqs).  I like some other gear better, but not until you get near and into the 6-figure range (Spectral is a current fave of mine).

I envy you, starting a hifi is so much fun :D

Offline twoodruff

• Trade Count: (91)
« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2003, 02:32:35 PM »
amen to the McCormack, got my suggestion from Carl Beck and have loved every bit of my DNA 0.5

Trey
No Mics
Clamps
Cables
No Preamp
Recorders

Offline TALL

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2003, 08:01:49 PM »
Rotel's electronics offer alot of value IMHO and are a grate entry point into the world of high end.  I ran a RB980BX amplifer for 5 years or so and was very happy with it.  I recently switched to t00bes but can't bring myself to part with it - keeping it around as a backup(for the summer months hehe) for now  :)

As far as rotel being the right match for the maggies, I have no idea.  As stated before, planars are a whole different animal when compared dynamic/box speakers and seem to be much more sensitive when it comes to amplification.  My advice would be to seach though the forum archives on sites such as audiogon, audio asylum, and audioreview and find out what other maggie owners have had good luck with.  It might help to narrow down what amplifers to consider in your price range.  

Also another way to get the best of both worlds is to run a tubed preamp and solid state amplification.  Of course matching the amp to preamp can be a challenge sometimes.

Good Luck, hope this helps

Tall

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2003, 02:42:44 PM »
Trey, I was wondering what you thought of the DNA. I love mine! I'm looking at some new speakers now so my system will change but as far as my DNA is concerned, it's a permenant part of the system. I tested it against a CJ MF2200 I had & the DNA just totally outclassed the CJ, too bad b/c I love my pre-amp.
carl
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2003, 02:47:06 PM »
I love my DNA-125, for sure...  I am actually considering buying a DNA-225 to use for biamping.  Or maybe a HT-5 (5 DNA-125 channels) for my home theatre.  McCormack's amps are really REALLY nice for the price.  The only thing that keeps them from being the best of the best is not quite as much detail as the better amps.  But they have the soundstaging, quickness, warmth, slam, highs, mids, etc.  Great bargains!

The only amp I'd rather have is a Spectral DMA-100 or other Spectral piece (two Spectral 360 monos would be acceptable, too...  Yah)

What speaks are you going to buy?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2003, 03:19:31 PM »
B&W Matrix 804, check my other thread & let me know.
carl
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

Re: ROTEL gear ?
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2007, 07:24:36 AM »
beats me.
i'm surprised to see this 4 year old thread wake up.

janka

« Reply #10 on: April 24, 2007, 09:54:06 AM »
so my system will change but as far as my DNA is concerned, it's a permenant part of the system.

This topic fooled me too. I even glanced at the date which is April 24 on the top post which added to my confusion.

How's that DNA treating you these days Carl?

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #11 on: April 24, 2007, 10:09:58 AM »
Screw you guys. I'm going home ;)

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2007, 10:29:51 AM »
 :yack:

Offline som

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2007, 09:43:17 AM »
I can swap out componants....

If there's one thing I've learned from this forum, it's that that is the understatement of 2003!
AT ES943/C's > Church Audio ST-9100 > iRiver H100 (Rockboxed)

BobW

« Reply #14 on: April 29, 2007, 09:28:19 PM »
My patio system runs on a low-end Rotel that I scored on cheeseBay for about $100.
Every once and a while it ends up swapped into the main system during upgrades.

First of all, even the cheap ones are quiet and built pretty well with over-sized torroids.
It weighs in at much more than you'd expect.
Sonically it isn't bad at all.
The top-end is not sweet and warm like the Jolida502b, more open and obviously fast at times.
For a lower-powered amp, it delivers some serious slam.
The soundstage was level, flat and unencumbered. Not in my face, and def not holographic, but if you like a drier sound, you could do much worse.

What about the NADs and the Creeks?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com