Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Home stereo questions  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Home stereo questions
« Reply #15 on: August 10, 2004, 01:06:33 PM »
http://www.solspeak.com/sol_products.php

Yea, what he said.  If you're willing to move towards the upper end of your speaker budget, I'd really recommend my set up:  Soliloquy Sat 5 bookshelf speakers + a pinnacle baby boomer sub.  This is a very nice sounding combo and comes in a very small, wife friendly format.

The Sat 5's are Soliliquy's smallest offering.  They use the same drivers as the 5.0's and 5.3's, but come in a small, sealed enclosure.  The sealed enclosure allows them to be placed on bookshelves or right up next to the wall and they still sound good (don't do this with rear ported speakers).  They have the really sweet sound of soliloquys, but will need a subwoofer.

I'd recommend the Pinnacle babyboomer (or perhaps the smaller subsonic).  The babyboomer uses 2  8" woofer arranged in a bipolar configuration--make it very fast, and hence very musical.  Great for 2-channel music, and it is a tiny 10"x10"x10" cube.  Very easy to hide under an end table and get it out of sight (ie, very wife friendly).  You might also look into the subsonic that is built on the same bi-polar design with 6.5" drivers--only 8x8x8 (and comes in white).

I just recently came across a place that sold the babyboomer for $500, but I can't find it now.  On a quick search, the best I found was this:
http://www.legacyaudiovideo.com/pinnaclesub.html

$500 for the subsonic, $700 for the babyboomer.  You might also look into the Sunfire true sub jr, same design idea but a bit more expensive.

Underwood Hifi (find them on audiogon.com) used to sell the Sat 5's for $425 a pair, which was a steal.  Everywhere else seems to have them for $650.

So for just under $1200 you could get the Sat 5s and subsonic easily, or if you hunt around, you might be able to get the sat 5's + the babyboomer for about $1000.  Really, this is a very nice sounding package, and if you're in the same boat as me, very wife-friendly.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #16 on: August 10, 2004, 02:05:14 PM »
Found the retailer for the babyboomer.  $483, no idea if this is a reputable dealer:
http://www.123av.com/DetailPage.asp?ProductID=BABYBOOMER

Underwood Hifi is:   www.underwoodhifi.com -- you'll have to call Walter to see what kind of deals on Sat 5s he has going.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline twatts (pants are so over-rated...)

• <://PHiSH//><
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Lego made a Mini-Fig of me!
« Reply #17 on: August 11, 2004, 11:52:56 AM »
Soliloquoy are made here in Raleigh, NC - funny, I called the factory to price the other day...

Anyways, they ahve lots of scratch and dents there on sale cheap...

Terry

***Do you have PHISH, VIDA BLUE, JAZZ MANDOLIN PROJECT or any other Phish related DATs/Tapes/MDs that need to be transferred???  I can do them for you!!!***

I will return your DATs/Tapes/MDs.  I'll also provide Master FLAC files via DropBox.  PM me for details.

Sony PCM R500 > SPDIF > Tascam HD-P2
Nakamichi DR-3 > (Oade Advanced Concert Mod) Tascam HD-P2
Sony MDS-JE510 > Hosa ODL-276 > Tascam HD-P2

Offline Liquid Meat

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #18 on: August 11, 2004, 05:19:27 PM »
Soliloquoy are made here in Raleigh, NC - funny, I called the factory to price the other day...

Anyways, they ahve lots of scratch and dents there on sale cheap...

Terry

I am in the market for new speakers. What kinda pricing were they giving? Shoot me a PM if you want.

Thanks!

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.044 seconds with 28 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com