Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony 3000ES REVIEW  (Read 20051 times)

Offline Daryan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Sony 3000ES REVIEW
« Reply #45 on: January 06, 2005, 12:47:16 PM »
I rent my condo, and of course it is way too small for a dedicated room.  I have all of this in my living room at the moment.  I live alone though, so I don't have to worry about the astethic issues that go along with wives etc.  I have always read in the various forums that the best bang for the buck if modding.  After taking a look at what Wayne does, I would love to give it a try myself.  Scott, would you do any acoustic treatment to a rented condo at curiosity?  I have always been under the impression that that type of stuff is permanent.  Any good links to read about room treatment while snowed in at work for the day?

Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #46 on: January 06, 2005, 01:28:42 PM »
Room lenses and bass traps can be non-permanent. The threads at www.audioasylum.com should be a good resource, and you might be able to get someone to make suggestions for your particular room and layout.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: January 06, 2005, 01:32:44 PM »
I rent my condo, and of course it is way too small for a dedicated room.  I have all of this in my living room at the moment.  I live alone though, so I don't have to worry about the astethic issues that go along with wives etc.  I have always read in the various forums that the best bang for the buck if modding.  After taking a look at what Wayne does, I would love to give it a try myself.  Scott, would you do any acoustic treatment to a rented condo at curiosity?  I have always been under the impression that that type of stuff is permanent.  Any good links to read about room treatment while snowed in at work for the day?

If you can hang pics in your place you can just as easily hang treatments.  You can even build bass traps that stand in the corner if you wish.  I ask again, has there been any DBT of the modded units vs. the stock unit and comparable products?

SC

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #48 on: January 06, 2005, 01:53:47 PM »
Room lenses and bass traps can be non-permanent. The threads at www.audioasylum.com should be a good resource, and you might be able to get someone to make suggestions for your particular room and layout.

I'm well aware that they can be non-permanent that doesn't make them any more practical though. Again, if you don't have a dedicated room I just don't see room treatments as being all that practical just my opinion. Of course my room is actually pretty decent sounding so I'm lucky there...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #49 on: January 06, 2005, 02:18:01 PM »

I'm well aware that they can be non-permanent that doesn't make them any more practical though. Again, if you don't have a dedicated room I just don't see room treatments as being all that practical just my opinion. Of course my room is actually pretty decent sounding so I'm lucky there...
You can cover them with nice fabric to add to the look of the room.  My "dedicated" room is our family room.  I was fortunate the wife didn't have a problem with the "wall art".
SC

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #50 on: January 06, 2005, 02:23:02 PM »
Scoptt, thanks for the help.  I will take a look at all of this this evening.  As for the debates..indeed, there is quite a bit of it at audiocirccle.com.  Take a look in the bolder cable forum.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2005, 03:15:00 PM »
Scoptt, thanks for the help.  I will take a look at all of this this evening.  As for the debates..indeed, there is quite a bit of it at audiocirccle.com.  Take a look in the bolder cable forum.

Daryan

I'll gladly host a GTG to compare sources and receivers if anybody wants to meet in MI.  We can get my wife involved to help with the DBT (double blind test).  I'd really like to hear the difference in stock and modified units as well as this Bybee device!  $200 for this little thing...hmmmm  I'll ask a buddy what he thinks of it as they may have used it when comparing Dodson Audio DAC's.  I think these Bybees were used on some Aerial 7B's

As far as that forum goes it is pretty much a sales forum for Bolder as any sponsored forum should be.  I didn't find much outside of that forum. 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #52 on: January 06, 2005, 04:10:13 PM »
I'll post some links to some more reviews elsewhere when I get home, they are in my favorites.  I am all about the gathering and a road trip...we should do it when there is a show. 

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #53 on: January 06, 2005, 05:24:38 PM »

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star

Offline Mojowill

• Educated, no. Stupid, yup.
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #55 on: January 13, 2005, 01:00:20 PM »
Well I am getting to know this beast of a complicated reciever and I have my ups and downs with it.  Ups+ it sounds fucking great in 2 channel.  Downs is I liked having my sub shake the house on Phil bombs. now I can't use it to much for 2 channel playback Because a lot of the time  when I try the 2.1 set up so it will create a LFE signal it also send harsh static to my rear speaker.  I am still messing with and learning about this baby, so if I ever discover anything that is fresh an important, I'll post it. 
It sounds fanfuckingtastic with Paradigms monitor 9.3's :)
I'm a mean machine drinkin gasoline and honey you can make my motor hum.

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #56 on: January 13, 2005, 01:10:20 PM »
2 channel, it is incredible....the DEEP soundstage that you get with this unit is incredible...I love it...

unfortunately mine is going back to Oade tomorrow to get it replaced since I get static on the multi channel inputs...that being said, Oade is being absolutely fantastic in being accomodating in helping me get this unit replaced (unlike sony who recommended that I take it to an authorized service center, who has a 3 week backlog before they can even look at it :( ) ....but dont let that sway you...this unit is smoking to me for the 2 channel, DVD-A, SACD and HT....I dont use it for the video stuff...and cant comment, but have been blown away otherwise!

Offline Mojowill

• YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #57 on: January 13, 2005, 06:04:14 PM »
so does this mean that mine is faulty if it is sending out static to the rear channels while I am just trying to run 2.1?

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #58 on: January 13, 2005, 10:35:52 PM »
so does this mean that mine is faulty if it is sending out static to the rear channels while I am just trying to run 2.1?

have not run it like that...the problem I have, is when I go to the multichannel inputs, either 1 or 2, with nothing plugged into them...I get static.....if I plug something into them the static remains...

Offline Mojowill

• YOGIS R.I.P.
    • Mojowill's Music List
« Reply #59 on: January 13, 2005, 11:04:59 PM »
OK I think I understand what you talking about you are using the multi channel hook ups on the back instead of just a digitl cable(coax or Optical)  right?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com