Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: newbie taper needs kludgvice  (Read 1221 times)

Offline mfisch

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
newbie taper needs kludgvice
« on: March 05, 2005, 07:10:29 PM »
  Hey guys, decided to take the plunge but Im a bit directionless .... Im looking for a small rig (not stealth) that'll give me decent field recordings for a few tracks at 24/96. This is just a hobby, or Id just go it for an R-4 or 722 -- but I do want the highest quality anyhow.
  After mulling over the most obvious options to me for recording hardware (JB3, R-1, DAT, MD, Laptop) I decided the kludge of a laptop solution will probably give me the most flexibility for the least dime (I already own the PC rig I think).
  I am however, ignorant of all things involved in low-power field recordings ...
  I plan to use a home-built embedded PC (instead of a laptop). With 25% of the power draw of a consumer laptop, my PC104+ SBC (Advantech PCM-9370F) accompanied by a touchscreen, external HDD enclosure seems like its up to the job ...

12v/5v Portable PS / Battery
Transmeta 500mhz CPU
320MB RAM, 4GB 4200RPM Hitachi CF2 Microdrive
40GB 5400RPM 2.5" HDD in USB 2.0 Enclosure
9" 1024x768 Touchscreen
USB 2.0 HUB, 1394, Bluetooth, 802.11b, FastEthernet, 2xRS232
Windows XP Pro / XP Embedded (Have not decided yet)

Do I want 2 or 3 tracks for a decent stereo open air / indoor recording? (Do you guys record bass into a third track?)
Do you think I can get away without a keyboard? (Touchscreen only)
Anyone ever have interference problems with USB/1394? (EMF)
Anyone ever have interference problems with USB/1394? (AD / HDD Enclosure crosstalk)

What AD's do you guys recommend for my application?
Do you bus power or external power them? How do you insulate DC power, is small capacitor good enough?

I guess I need 2 or 3 mics, any suggestions? Of course Im looking for used gear if I can get it 50% cheaper.

What software should I be looking at to do the actual master recording? Id like to be able to record about 5 hours in a single shot.
A resource friendly application that'll do the job is just fine, I can always take my masters home to play later.

Also keep in mind Im looking for small. I dont want to lug something large around if its the same quality as something that can be smaller.
SP C4's > FA-101 > MacMini
whats wrong with lead?

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
Re: newbie taper needs kludgvice
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2005, 09:42:02 PM »
My advice is ditch the computer altogether.

Simplest solution: Mindisc (HiMD) and AT853 mics

Next step: NJB3 + Preamp/ADC (eg., Edirol UA5) + SP C4 mics

I'm still only half way to the next step after 1.5yrs taping.  You can go a long way with the MD solution.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 27 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com