Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Speaker cable...  (Read 7495 times)

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Speaker cable...
« Reply #15 on: September 09, 2004, 03:16:33 PM »
Never been to cherry creek, figured with a name like that it couldn't be good.  Listen up have always treated me like a pauper in a cadillac dealer.  Increasingly making purchases via mail these days -- especially since it's hard to get any real sense of a piece of equipment's sound in a showroom anyway.

Speaker cable -- chris e and I are contemplating a bulk(ish) purchase of canare star quad speaker cable, runs a hair over a dollar per foot.  Supposed to sound real nice.

d

Offline dave w

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: September 09, 2004, 03:18:12 PM »
definitely not stuffy folks at Moondance.  My experience there is that the folks all really love music and audio (had quite a conversation with a sales rep there about shrooms and red rocks), they know there stuff pretty well, and will listen to what you have and what you are looking for, and genuinely try to find you the best product for you in your price range (though, of course, they'll try to upsell a little).  They are totally happy to switch components around etc. so you can listen, even if you are just exploring rather than ready to spend bucks.  
   And they are totally open to allowing you to demo stuff at home in your system, which is a big plus.  I never would have bought Dali speakers without them spending a week in my house first. Both to give me time to listen to them in my system, and to do some research on Dali.
  Cherry Creek Audio is way overpriced, and a bit stuffy.
  On another note - if you look around you can find the canare cable for under 70 cents a foot.
-Dave

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #17 on: September 09, 2004, 03:21:53 PM »
on the canare cable...I love it...I run it right now and got a significant improvement in bass response and clearer highs that I had from the previous monster speaker cable I was using

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: September 09, 2004, 03:23:27 PM »
Thanks for the canare follow-up.  My price guestimate came from the first site I found selling it by the foot, figured I could/would do better once I knew exactly how many feet to order and did some "real" pricing research.

Offline bkirby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoeps/MGs > M148/248 > SD722
« Reply #19 on: September 09, 2004, 03:42:39 PM »
Look at markertek. I got about 40ft. of the 4S11. I am still breaking them in, but they sound pretty nice so far! I got it for $0.69 per ft.

jpschust

« Reply #20 on: September 09, 2004, 04:47:55 PM »
Tim,  I am going to be moving within my building in a few weeks.  I have a pair of Blue Truth cables that are not broken in as of yet... it's a long story.  They are terminated in Banana's if you want to try them.  Not biwired though.  You are welcome to break them in and try them for a month or so till I have the move fully completed and my new place set up.

(these are for my bedroom setup, my living room is all set and running)

Offline dnsacks

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: September 09, 2004, 05:19:07 PM »
Markertek still has the canare @ $0.69 per foot plus shipping.  I'm putting together an order, anybody else (local to denver) interested?  Can soldier the ends/install terminations/etc.

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #22 on: September 09, 2004, 05:49:09 PM »
if you don't mind spending a good chunk of time braiding try the chris ven haus cat 5 cables, i love mine.  i've had a chance to compare them to another variety of cat5 cables and mit terminators and they're substantially better than both.

http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

jpschust

« Reply #23 on: September 09, 2004, 07:03:42 PM »
ive now listened to the cat 5 cables and they are OK.  Good cheap alternative to some brands out there, but not my favorite.  Only major issue I have is man are those things ugly.

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #24 on: September 09, 2004, 07:21:05 PM »
ive now listened to the cat 5 cables and they are OK.  Good cheap alternative to some brands out there, but not my favorite.  Only major issue I have is man are those things ugly.

is the purpose of a cable to sound good or look pretty?  ;)

also, what recipe did you try?

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: September 09, 2004, 07:29:30 PM »
Tim,  I am going to be moving within my building in a few weeks.  I have a pair of Blue Truth cables that are not broken in as of yet... it's a long story.  They are terminated in Banana's if you want to try them.  Not biwired though.  You are welcome to break them in and try them for a month or so till I have the move fully completed and my new place set up.

(these are for my bedroom setup, my living room is all set and running)

I'd love that Jonny... thanks!
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #26 on: September 10, 2004, 07:17:52 AM »
when I said i would make my own, I didn't have anything in particular in mind.
only that my current speaker cable is custom made and sounds fantastic.  they are not all that thick, and were taken from a much larger cable that housed several pairs of smaller (yet stiff) cable inside.  the finished product is about the diameter of my pinky...and rigid as a 1/4" pipe!

as for braiding.....use a drill to twist them up nice and tight.  :)
I might try it out w/the HD cables just to see what difference in sound I get from my current stock...which I really like the sound of.  transparrent, detailed and sooo much nicer than anything else i've heard in my system.
I remember when I first put them on it was like a new stereo.

These are cables made by Gregg Straley.  I can dig up his email addie if anyone is interested.  I dont think he sells them for much.  They are cryo'd as well.  which I firmly believe helps.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2004, 07:19:57 AM by Nick's Picks »

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.236 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com