Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone heard VMPS?  (Read 13498 times)

Offline ducati

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
Re:Anyone heard VMPS?
« Reply #15 on: May 09, 2003, 09:48:12 AM »
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHH that sounds like FUN.  LOTR is unbelieveable, I was blown away.  Our next HT/5.1 upgrade needs to be a visual one...  We're still using our old Sony 27" trinitron, which can't do movies like that justice!!

Sounds like a fun group of people to hang with, I love audio discussions :)  That's why we do "hifi night" nearly every Thurs.  To get together, listen to each other's rigs, and talk about hifi.  Fun stuff.

Buy the Corian.  We got it, that stuff rocks.  So easy to clean, looks fab, and doesn't stain.  That's bonus for the person who leaves a dripping bottle of red wine that would permanently stain other 'tops...

We didn't get the integrated sink, my wife wanted porcelain.  I'm iffy.  I'd rather have the built in sink...  But her mom said she has lots of friend who have cracked their corian sinks by dropping small pots or pans; one woman dropped a 9" calphalon omelet pan and her sink cracked!  Ahwell...  I'm pretty careful, and if I did that with porcelain we'd chip it anyway...

Anyway, do buy the corian.  That and ceramic tile were the best two splurges we made for our new house...

Offline scervin

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: May 09, 2003, 10:08:25 AM »
Yeah his theater is pretty nice. I'm just curious to see what he has for speakers now.  Last Oct. on our honeymoon we bought a 55" Mits with integrated HD and I'll tell you it is unreal. I went and got a Rat Shack ant. and I get all the OTA HD in our area as well as picking up my fav... CBC for all the Stanley Cup games, although it is only analog.  Digital cable/DTV is so poor compared to HD! I now get to watch NASCAR in digital 16:9 and it is the best.  I will say its hard watching DTV now, I only use it for my TNN, speedworld, TLC, Discovery and only a couple others.  JAG, CSI's, and others are unreal!

SC

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #17 on: May 09, 2003, 10:09:42 AM »
Carl,
   Sorry about the threadjack  :-\    I think I'm done.  Is there any way to find people in yur area that might have the VMPS??
SC

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #18 on: May 09, 2003, 10:21:34 AM »
mfrench makes a very good point: there are issues integrating a sub into the sonic picture.  It is very difficult to get them to sound "right" with speakers that weren't designed to have a sub added in the first place.  

This is where ML and the like spend alot of time and resources with the smaller panel speakers that need cone bass drivers: sometimes it works out very well, sometimes not so well.  

Probably why I usually prefer listening to my N805's sans sub, to be honest...  It's tough to do "right."

I really want to hear a pair of those Soliloquy's...  You've had my interest piqued since you mentioned them to me back when we were talking TL's  ;D

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #19 on: May 09, 2003, 10:27:59 AM »
I've been trying to listen to those forever it seems, but can't find anyone in the area.  Any help?  With an SPL meter and a good test tone disc I think you can integrate a sub "fairly" well.  I don't use mine when playing music, but might as I'm beta testing a UFW-10 with the eq. I have a nasty room mode at around 60HZ (typical) and if I can tame this I might listen to music with the sub on.  You really need a musical sub for audio, but with the audio tracks on DVD's these day's you need something to shake the room for added effect.  Now back to 2-channel discussion....
SC

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #20 on: May 09, 2003, 10:33:16 AM »
Yeah, and the bummer is, you integrate it via test tones and whatnot for 2 channel, and it's not loose and loud enough for 5.1

;D

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #21 on: May 09, 2003, 10:38:20 AM »
Exactly why I don't use it.  That's why I said "fairly" easy to do, you can come close.  I've found that if I boost it 2 dB it blends really well.  This is only when we party w/ the neighbors and they want to listen to Snoop and dance tunes!  ::)  
SC

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #22 on: May 09, 2003, 10:51:18 AM »
LOL a little far for me, too.  I'm in Columbus, OH.

I see they have a dealer in "Madison" OH.  I think that's up by Cleveland?  440 area code...  Maybe next time I'm up that way I'll try to schedule a listening session.

SC: I had J.Lo on my hifi rig last party we had.  LOL

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: May 09, 2003, 11:04:29 AM »
Holy $%&$ !!! Audio Dimensions has these!!  I'm in MI btw, about 1 hr north west of Hockeytown.  I might just have to check these out now.  This is one dealer I just noticed last week. It looks more like a barber shop than hifi.  Just hope they don't give me the same 'tude as some others!
Thanks for the link!
SC

Offline carlbeck

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #24 on: May 09, 2003, 11:55:31 AM »
I looked for a dealer for these last week as a matter of fact & we have nothing in Maine, Mass or NH. Nick & I are planning a roadtrip to audition some stuff but VT is a little far for him with the baby probably. I don't care I'll drive but I need my boy wonder ;)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Mics: Telefunken Elam 260, 61, 62, MBHO KA200, KA500 > Niant PFA's, AKG C34L-MS
Preamps: Grace Lunatec V2, Shure FP24
Decks: Tascam DR-2d, Zoom F8

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #25 on: May 09, 2003, 02:31:15 PM »
i can't afford the ML acents...I just looked at them.  I find the characteristics similar w/the maggies, even at $550.

I believe you...there are great box style speakers out there.  I've heard plenty of them.  Its all i've ever heard until a month ago.  I guess the newness of the sound of planars has just got me hooked.  I'm at the point where I dont even want to look at another pair or speakers, no matter what.

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #26 on: May 09, 2003, 02:39:06 PM »
Understand  ;D

You could consider buying them used, although I don't know how well ribbons ship?  You should be able to get a pair of 1.6's for about $1000, or maybe the older 1.4's for $600 or so.

You could buy a pair of Martin Logan Aerius for about $850 or so, or Aerius i's for a shade over $1000.  I'd go for the i's.  I have a buddy with an Aerius rig, if you'd like to converse with him about it...

Skip the smaller logans, they don't even have an inkling of the planar magic.

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #27 on: May 09, 2003, 04:42:50 PM »
PLEEEEEEEEEESSSSSSSSEEEEEEEE, you don't even want to look??? I find that a little difficult to believe ;D
   I have been reading up on the Soliloquy's & they have two VERY good reviews on their website for the 6.3's. Checking Audiogon, a few people also rave about them. I may have to hear a pair or just order some & see ;)
I know you like, tape for people's approval and stuff, and wave your tapes around like they're your dick...  but even you can't actually think section tapes from philips sound good.  

Old rig: Recording: AKG C34 & AKG CK1X or CK2X > MK46 > 460 > Aeta Mix2000 > Sound Devices 702

Playback: Thorens TD125, Denon DVD-2900> Bel Canto DAC-1 > Audible Illusions 3B > Rogue Atlas >ZU Wax Shotgun> Hyperion 938
ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline carlbeck

« Reply #28 on: May 09, 2003, 06:23:30 PM »
They do look very nice. I mean not to sound like Nick or anything but I am looking for a nice looking set of speakers as well. After staring at these Vandies for a while, I really am looking for a nice cherry finished speaker. The ones for sale I have seen have been the rosewood & I can't tell from the website which finish is which?!?! I know you rave about them & we listen to similar enough music so they may be worth a shot.

ALL TUBES BABY!!!

Offline ducati

• Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #29 on: May 09, 2003, 07:00:06 PM »
Hey, nice looks don't make 'em sound better, but they sure improve pride of ownership.  And when you drop $3k on something there better be some pride in it!

A silly comparison is the remote that comes with the McCormack RLD-1 pre.  I love my RLD-1 pre in every way, but the remote is skinny light, like a cheap TV's.  OK, guys at C-J, we like the sound but improve the remote, it works wonders for pride of ownership!!

What would you describe the sonic signature as, mfrench?  When I think ProAc I think laid back, tubey, midrangey and slightly soft...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.114 seconds with 42 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com