Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Matrix Help!  (Read 3213 times)

Offline airbladder

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
Matrix Help!
« on: September 21, 2004, 06:20:58 PM »
I am attempting to put together my first sbd/aud matrix.  I recorded: sbd>minime>JB3 and MHBO’s> V2> DA-P1.  Got it all in to cool edit pro 2 and have been fooling around with them as a multi track.  A few questions:

Is the stretch of the dat consistent?  Does it get faster, slower, do both?

Does the JB3 strech?

If I used two JB3's would I be able to just line the two up and be good to go?

At the end of the set there is a big echo and every time I try to stretch the sbd a little things seem to get way out of wack.  It would seem that at the end of the set the two sources are .046 seconds off.  I understand this won’t be a fun or easy process but can someone walk me through it in a clear and user friendly way?
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
Re: Matrix Help!
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2004, 01:10:27 AM »
I have no jb3 experience but from what i've read it isn't a bit perfect recorder

absolutely not true. it is picky about its source, but with several devices the jb3 is proven and tested bit perfect. one person who tested this was skalinder

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2004, 01:42:51 AM »
I usually leave the mic source as one large (complete) file.

Then I cut up the SBD source (as tracks) and then line them up manually. Basically all I do is zoom in on the waveform and match the two up as close as possible. I also make sure just the beginning and end of the track sound like they are in sync. If that's the case everything inbetween should be fine.

Once you have everything lined up, just render the whole thing as a new wav file.

Once you get the hang of it you can go pretty quickly.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline the yokel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2004, 06:04:16 AM »
I have no jb3 experience but from what i've read it isn't a bit perfect recorder

absolutely not true. it is picky about its source, but with several devices the jb3 is proven and tested bit perfect. one person who tested this was skalinder

stand corrected.  irrelevant comments removed. 

Offline leegeddy

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2004, 06:15:12 AM »
i've done many sbd/aud matrices in my times, and i NEVER use the stretch function. i always cut up one of the sources (usually the sbd) and do the electric slide.

cutting the sbd during audience noise is very easy and the audience recording basically masks the cut anyways.

marc
"I'm a taper, he's a taper. Wouldn't you like to be a taper too?"
"Mics? What mics? This is my hat."

Offline airbladder

• Taperssection Member
    • My recordings on archive:
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2004, 02:02:11 PM »
How do you line them up?  What function allows you to do the electric slide?  I understand the concept but cant seem to figure out how to do it.
Microphones: Neumann U89i, Neumann KMR 82i, Neumann AK40/50>LC3>KM100.
Pres: AETA PSP-3
Decks: Zoom F8, Sony PCM-M10, Microtrack

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: October 27, 2004, 10:00:43 PM »
I usually leave the mic source as one large (complete) file.

Then I cut up the SBD source (as tracks) and then line them up manually. Basically all I do is zoom in on the waveform and match the two up as close as possible. I also make sure just the beginning and end of the track sound like they are in sync.

This has been my method as well, but extended jams have been a problem (ie. 15+ minutes).  I often encounter a "bubble" in the sync = match at the beginning and at the end, but the middle is out of sync.

Any tips for long jams or largely segued sets?

Offline dklein

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2004, 11:13:37 PM »

I often encounter a "bubble" in the sync = match at the beginning and at the end, but the middle is out of sync.

This suggests a single glitch point exists on one of the sources.  Find it and resynch there.  If you need to fill in a spot you can work in multitrack with another copy of the continuous source and 'massage it' to sound like the missing piece.  Much easier to make the sbd sound like mics than the other way around (eq and reverb will do it)
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline John P

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • sometimes a dog is as good as any man
« Reply #8 on: November 09, 2004, 06:42:29 PM »
How do you line them up?  What function allows you to do the electric slide?  I understand the concept but cant seem to figure out how to do it.

Wavelab Montage is THE tool for matrix's.  Pretty steep learning curve, but if you can imagine a process, you can do it in a montage.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com