Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: CAT-5 speaker cable DIY page  (Read 12472 times)

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I thought I heard.......
CAT-5 speaker cable DIY page
« on: October 10, 2004, 06:54:54 PM »
not sure if this page has been posted before, but its worth the read.
http://www.venhaus1.com/diycatfivecables.html

Offline Nick Culbreth

• Trade Count: (1)
Re: CAT-5 speaker cable DIY page
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2004, 07:22:35 PM »
great cables, i highly recommend them.

edited for spelling.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2004, 08:50:00 PM by nmculbreth »

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2004, 07:28:22 PM »
it's certainly the way to go for a audiophile on a tight budget. 

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #3 on: October 11, 2004, 07:33:26 AM »
so then you guys have made them ?

jpschust

« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2004, 07:39:46 AM »
i have not made my own set, but i have listened to 2 different pairs of them and they are decent cables for being on a budget

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 11, 2004, 09:04:58 AM »
I have been in the process of making mine for about three weeks off and on.  I really hope they sound great, as I have about 20 hours in them to date!

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

jpschust

« Reply #6 on: October 11, 2004, 09:44:43 AM »
how has it taken you 20 hrs to make these?  i watched a friend make one speaker's worth in about an hour or so.  the braiding takes the longest time out of all of it...

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2004, 11:21:53 AM »
how has it taken you 20 hrs to make these?  i watched a friend make one speaker's worth in about an hour or so.  the braiding takes the longest time out of all of it...

i think you may be thinking about another type of cat-5 cable because the ven haus recipe calls for 13 braids per cable and takes forever to make.  i spent around 30 hours on my 8 ft. pair of cables and i just don't think it's possible that your friend could make one cable in an hour.

I have been in the process of making mine for about three weeks off and on.  I really hope they sound great, as I have about 20 hours in them to date!

Daryan

i'm really happy with mine, i think they sound great.  i've had a chance to compare them with a pair of mit terminators (thanks trey) and they were significantly better in every respect, the bass was extended a bit and more refined, the midrange was a bit clearer and the highs seemed less bright and more natural.  they were definately worth all the time i put into making them.

jpschust

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2004, 11:29:33 AM »
he just flew through making it, sounded good too.  it may not have been the ven haus specific style, but it was certainly a braided cat 5 speaker cable

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2004, 12:54:01 PM »
The one I am in the process of making, I bought about 150 feet, though I haven't used it all, and had to strip the blue plastic stuff off of the outside which revealed 4 twisted pairs of wires.  I then have to untwist those, and braid them into strands of three.  Once I have about umm, it feels like fourty but I am in Maryland at the moment and can't say exactly, I further braid three already braided units together.  Once that is done, I braid three of those and finally I think I get to terminate, cut them down, and see what they sound like.  I am completed stage one, the three strand braids and hope to be finished with stage two tomorrow evening after work.  Mine are about 10 feet fwiw, though I would like to get a 15 feet pair for the surrounds done at some point as well.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2004, 03:51:38 PM »
he just flew through making it, sounded good too.  it may not have been the ven haus specific style, but it was certainly a braided cat 5 speaker cable

look at the picture at the link I posted.
no way is anyone making that in an hour.  must be making something else ???? a different design i'd bet.

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2004, 08:42:05 PM »
Nick, there is another design I have seen somewhere where you just braid three cat 5 cables, unaltered, strip them and twist.  This must be the aforementioned variety!

Daryan

Offline Nick Culbreth

« Reply #12 on: October 11, 2004, 09:02:17 PM »
here is another recipe, i've tried this one as well and they don't sound quite as nice but they're not nearly as labor intensive.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_e.html

jpschust

« Reply #13 on: October 11, 2004, 09:52:04 PM »
thats the version i was thinking of.

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
« Reply #14 on: October 12, 2004, 08:32:08 PM »
here is another recipe, i've tried this one as well and they don't sound quite as nice but they're not nearly as labor intensive.

http://www.tnt-audio.com/clinica/triple_t_e.html

+t

beat me to it...

i dig that tnt site...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.138 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com