Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: High-End Universal Remotes  (Read 2959 times)

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
High-End Universal Remotes
« on: October 13, 2004, 11:00:44 PM »
After a recent browse around the net for universal remotes, I discovered technology in that department had escaped me.  Still not sure what all is out there, but I'm interested in what high-end universal remotes some of you own...&/or anything unique out there.  I've listed Philips' line of remotes...

Philips ProntoNEO ($100)
http://www.pronto.philips.com/index.cfm?id=263
Philips Pronto NG ($220)
http://www.pronto.philips.com/index.cfm?id=681
Philips ProntoPro NG ($600)
http://www.pronto.philips.com/index.cfm?id=685
Philips iPronto ($1200)
http://www.pronto.philips.com/index.cfm?id=737

The iPronto is quite a creature.  I haven't done much research on it, but on the surface it seems to be sort of rough around the edges for its price.  Great idea...just has some kinks to work out (as in chronic crashing & slow execution/response).  The ProntoPro is tempting, but at $600 it has to deliver.

For the amount of time spent with an A/V system, it would be interesting (to me at least) to have a 'suped-up' LCD remote.  One that can be customized/programmed...&/a few bells and whistles!

jpschust

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: High-End Universal Remotes
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2004, 12:00:08 AM »
I have the MacIntosh universal remote.  It is a learning remote and I am still working through teaching it all of my remoite commands.  When I'm done, which hopefully should be next week when I have time, I will no longer have any remotes but this one.  It was around 500.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2004, 07:20:06 AM »
Home Theater Master MX-800 is the only remote one wil ever need.  PC programming is a nice feature.  Remotes like the pronto work until the screen takes a crap!  Everyone I've known to have owned a touch screen remote went on to hate it.  The MX-700 and MX-800 are it.

Jonny pimping the Mcintosh again :)  and for good reason it is good stuff.  Do they make their own remote??   When doing some research on 7-channel amps I came across Sherbourn, a company developed by Ron Fone of Mcintosh and some guy from NAD....  Never heard the Sherbourn, but might take a listen.

SC

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2004, 08:09:47 AM »
they do make their own remote, they pretty much only make one good remote though.  the reason i got it over any other learning remote was that i wouldnt have to teach their remote the 800 mcintosh commands.  they came preprogrammed.

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2004, 10:29:06 AM »
I know the feeling. 

FYI.... remotecentral.com has many many configuration files for nearly all universals.  They have a huge list of files from folks that have configured on the PC for the MX-700 and 800.  There are codes for nearly every make and model ranging from DVD players to lights.  You just grab the file put it in the software and dl to the remote.  The software makes it very easy for macro creation.

SC

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2004, 10:32:21 AM »
oh hell yah, im gonna look at that tonight and see what i can download.

Offline taylorc

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2004, 08:42:29 PM »
Home Theater Master MX-800 is the only remote one wil ever need.  PC programming is a nice feature.  Remotes like the pronto work until the screen takes a crap!  Everyone I've known to have owned a touch screen remote went on to hate it.  The MX-700 and MX-800 are it.

Belated thanks... for the comments on the MX-700 & MX-800.  Just checking out some of the forums on remotecentral provides a fair assessment of the problems a lot of folks are running into with touch-screens.

Home Theater Master MX-800: http://www.remotecentral.com/mx700/index13.htm

Offline scervin

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: December 07, 2004, 07:24:56 AM »
No problem....

FYI, my buddy has the MX3000 (??) and loves it, no problems yet,  but I honestly prefer the MX800.

SC

Offline macdaddy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #8 on: December 08, 2004, 02:09:19 PM »
i guess i was an early adopter, as i have the mx700 - it and the airboard are all i need...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com