Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Anyone tried audio mods to UA5  (Read 5556 times)

Offline Busman Audio

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Anyone tried audio mods to UA5
« on: November 10, 2004, 06:24:49 PM »
Just interested to see if any DIY 'ers here have or are considering doing audio upgrades to their UA5s.
I am in the process of getting parts and getting ready to tackle this as a fun project.
I realize Oade does this but I am a die hard DIY'er and wanted to try some fun mods on my equipment.
Let me know if you want to discuss this or if no one else is brave(dumb) enough to do this besides me.
Busman mics of all kinds>some type of busman modified recorder.

"Just Mod It"

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
Re: Anyone tried audio mods to UA5
« Reply #1 on: November 12, 2004, 04:50:44 PM »
Just received my new op amps and am waiting on a few other parts to go ahead with the mod. I see people are interested enough to read the post,  speak up if you want to know more about what I am doing or are thinking about this yourself.

"Just Mod It"

Offline mirth

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Les Hommes Savvent Pourquois
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2004, 04:58:23 PM »
would love to know how it sounds/works for you after the mod.
Governor Jim McGreevey was equally disturbed about the upcoming population increase. "New Jersey cannot support all of these wookies," he said. "For starters, we don't have nearly enough kindbud. At best, we can muster up a Q.P. of some beasties, but we've not a dime-bag more."

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2004, 05:25:33 PM »
I will post a little about it when I finish.

"Just Mod It"

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #4 on: November 12, 2004, 05:51:15 PM »
I did the mod myself, but don't think I could pull off switching the op amps. I would gladly pay for the parts/labor. In retrospect, I wish I had just paid the extra $100 and bought it from Doug to begin with. Nevertheless, I am interested in what parts you are using and how it turns out.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: November 12, 2004, 09:42:21 PM »
so what parts have you got?  which opamps?
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #6 on: November 12, 2004, 10:34:27 PM »
I am using the OPA2134s. Should be an easy swap and sound much better(faster and cleaner) from what I have researched. I would go all the way to the 627s but they are only a single so an adapter board would need to come into play. I am looking to start on this a little easier. I am changing out all the op amps. Next will be the caps.

"Just Mod It"

hexyjones

« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2004, 11:22:05 PM »
All of this sounds fun and cool...but wouldn't it just be easier to buy a better piece of equipment...?

Not really out trolling for -Ts...but for all the ballyhou about the UA-5 - if this thing is so good - why does it need all this modding...?

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #8 on: November 13, 2004, 01:26:58 AM »
I love to fiddle with electronics and I would never do that to a $1500 pre amp. Something that I spent $250 on then about $30 in parts and a few hours of labor to make it sound like a $1500 unit I would say that is worth it and I get to have fun and learn more about the devices that I use for my hobby.
I am also going to mod other devices I own like my mixers preamps and other lower end preamps that I use. Its about fun and enjoyment. I am a Stay at home Dad so I have time to kill and more knowledge is always a good thing.

"Just Mod It"

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2004, 03:24:53 AM »
Not really out trolling for -Ts...but for all the ballyhou about the UA-5 - if this thing is so good - why does it need all this modding...?

Bottom line, it's a tremendous quality/price value - whether stock recording to laptop or digi-mod to standalone non-computer device.  Add the analog mods (whether Oade warm / presence / transparent or your own) and you have a very high quality piece of gear at relatively low cost.  If you weren't around for the blind V3 / wmod-UA5 comps I ran previously, I can post 'em again - just give the word.  If memory serves, over half the people who provided feedback preferred the $500 warm-mod UA-5 v. the $1400 V3.  That $900 difference allows many tapers to upgrade their mics in a BIG way while still utilizing a HQ pre/ADC.  Is it any wonder the UA-5 is so popular?

From the UA-5 FAQ:

Why the heck is the UA-5 so dang popular?

There are good reasons so many tapers are using the UA-5 for field recording!  The UA-5s feature set, overall quality, and price point make it an extremely attractive option for both newbie and experienced tapers alike.  At ~$300 for an Oade-mod digi-mod UA-5, or even less for a DIY digi-mod UA-5, the UA-5 offers a broad, quality feature set:

* 16-bit or 24-bit
    * phantom power
    * preamp
    * ADC
    * selectable sample rate (32kHz - 96 kHz)
    * may be used for running audience + soundboard mixes
    * may be used for 3- or 4-mic mixes
    * easily powered via RC batteries
    * simultaneous USB, coax, and optical outputs if digi-modded
« Last Edit: November 13, 2004, 11:25:26 AM by Brian Skalinder »
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline drufus

• Taperssection Regular
  • dirty south
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2004, 10:57:43 AM »
i would love to see photos of a switchable digi mod as well as a warm mod as well, good luck on the part exchange, i plan on a DIY UA5 project in the next few months.
can't you do a four mic matrix on a UA5 and not just 3?
Rode NT4>JB3

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #11 on: November 13, 2004, 11:24:09 AM »
can't you do a four mic matrix on a UA5 and not just 3?

Yup, that, too.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2004, 12:33:45 PM »
You've got that right Brian.  I see it the same way.  I would buy it from the Oades modded they do excellent work and are very well respected in the community, but I am a geek and I want to play with the mods myself.  Thanks everyone for posting more on the subject and I will keep you all up to date on what happens along with post test results when I am finished of the stock unit and my mods. +T to all.

"Just Mod It"

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2004, 01:08:57 PM »
I love to fiddle with electronics and I would never do that to a $1500 pre amp. Something that I spent $250 on then about $30 in parts and a few hours of labor to make it sound like a $1500 unit I would say that is worth it and I get to have fun and learn more about the devices that I use for my hobby.
I am also going to mod other devices I own like my mixers preamps and other lower end preamps that I use. Its about fun and enjoyment. I am a Stay at home Dad so I have time to kill and more knowledge is always a good thing.

I'm with you on that.  I've got KM-184s and a V2 but still like playing around with panasonic capsules and homemade preamp circuits.  No, they'll never be as good as what I've got but there's something very cool about makin' stuff.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline suntzu420

• Taperssection Newbie
  • The only member of Team OK!!
    • Tool
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2004, 01:25:20 AM »
Hey Brian,

Is it possible to get the Warm Mod, plus the digi mod for those wanting the sound quality of the Wmod and the stand alone usage of the Digi mod?
Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1 > Sonosax SX-M2 > ?

Offline suntzu420

• Taperssection Newbie
  • The only member of Team OK!!
    • Tool
« Reply #15 on: November 15, 2004, 01:26:52 AM »
disregard above post ;), foudn the other thread that Brian Mentions this in!!
Nakamichi CM-300/CP-1 > Sonosax SX-M2 > ?

Offline Daryan

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #16 on: November 15, 2004, 02:01:41 PM »
What else are you switching out besides the op amps?  I would think the power supply, especially the phantom supply warrants some changes.  Do you have some pics of the guts of one, I might give this a try.

Daryan
Microtech Gefell 200/210->Zaolla Silverlines->Fostex FR-2 (oade modified plus other self mods)

Playback: Bolder modified Squeezebox SB3 (building linear power supply)->Bolder Cable Modified Panasonic XR-45 with bybee's->Bolder Nitro speaker cables->VMPS Audio super modified 626r's, VMPS Larger SUB, 1000w class AB sub amp
Tweaks: isolation and room treatments, silclear, BPT 1.5r Power Conditioner (modified), isoblocks, vibrapods, many others

Offline Busman Audio

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2004, 02:22:42 PM »
Here are the dissection photos from someones website.
http://he.fi/photo/ua5-dissection/

I will be swapping a lot of the capacitors also to give it a lower noise floor. The power supply caps might be something to change also as there are better caps out there.  Even just going to Black Gate electrolytic capacitors would be better than the panasonics that are currently in the unit.
One big thing of note is that if you are not comfortable with soldering on circuit boards this isn't for you. most everything on the UA5 is SMD which means it is surface mount and not pins. There are no schematics that I have found on the web so you also have to know how the circuits work to have an idea of what to change and what to look for in the replacement parts. You also need a temperature controlled soldering iron which are not cheap.
 Again, when I finish I will post results and photos of what has been done for you DIYers out there.

"Just Mod It"

Offline 1st set only

• you are what you is
    • Don Poulsen Illustration and Graphic Design
« Reply #18 on: December 14, 2004, 03:33:58 PM »
bump
the show is over go home please.

Offline DirtySouth

• Taperssection Newbie
  • My old green truck is a smoker as well...
« Reply #19 on: December 14, 2004, 04:36:04 PM »
More power to ya man.  If I knew more about the process I would probably do the same thing you are doing.  I am interested in knowing how all of this comes out for you too.  I have been researching preamps for a while trying to figure out what I want to buiy.  I am super fresh in the game.  After all of my reading I think that I have decided on the Tmod Oade.  So you can see my concern for how yours turns out.  I'd appreciate any information that you may have about the hows and whys of your project.  Good Luck!!! 8)
funk>>MK012 matching>>UA-5(Oade mod)>>JB3

Duct tape is my homeboy ;)

Offline snoknight

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #20 on: August 29, 2005, 12:16:21 AM »
Here are the dissection photos from someones website.
http://he.fi/photo/ua5-dissection/

I will be swapping a lot of the capacitors also to give it a lower noise floor. The power supply caps might be something to change also as there are better caps out there.  Even just going to Black Gate electrolytic capacitors would be better than the panasonics that are currently in the unit.
One big thing of note is that if you are not comfortable with soldering on circuit boards this isn't for you. most everything on the UA5 is SMD which means it is surface mount and not pins. There are no schematics that I have found on the web so you also have to know how the circuits work to have an idea of what to change and what to look for in the replacement parts. You also need a temperature controlled soldering iron which are not cheap.
 Again, when I finish I will post results and photos of what has been done for you DIYers out there.

hows it goin on the opamps and cap selection??
needs to buy a goat...

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #21 on: August 31, 2005, 04:29:00 PM »
What else are you switching out besides the op amps?  I would think the power supply, especially the phantom supply warrants some changes.  Do you have some pics of the guts of one, I might give this a try.

Daryan

It's my understanding that Doug swaps out several different op amps at various points in the analog circuitry.
I think Doug also swaps out the 6.8 k ohm phantom power resistors for ones that match better.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 46 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com