Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Thinking of getting a power inverter...why wouldn't I?  (Read 2664 times)

Offline rdptha2nd

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • "Jazz is not dead...it just smells funny." - Zappa
    • Check Out Namaste!!!
Thinking of getting a power inverter...why wouldn't I?
« on: November 17, 2004, 03:37:50 PM »
I have so many different things that I need to have charged it would cost me all kinds of money to buy car chargers for all of them, so why wouldn't I just buy an inverter and use the home chargers on any of my gear?

How many watts would I need for one of them to just charge my batteries or cell or mp3 player?
Recording: ADK A-51TL and/or Superlux SMKH8K > Digimod UA5 > Nomad JB3
Transfer: Nomad JB3 > Firewire > Nomad Explorer > T-Racks 2.0 > Soungforge 5.0 > CD WAV > FLAC Frontend

Check out http://www.namastemusic.com and/or http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=namaste

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
Re: Thinking of getting a power inverter...why wouldn't I?
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2004, 08:25:19 AM »
I have so many different things that I need to have charged it would cost me all kinds of money to buy car chargers for all of them, so why wouldn't I just buy an inverter and use the home chargers on any of my gear?

How many watts would I need for one of them to just charge my batteries or cell or mp3 player?

60 watt RatShack job should work fine.  I've got a 140 Watt that I can run anything from my laptop, to multiple wallwarts on a surge/outlet strip.  For example, a charger for an EC-90 12V SLA draws 24 Watts.  I can charge everything in my rig (and then some) while driving from city to city on tour.  Or master/burn discs in the parking lot after-show with my power-sucking Sony GRT-100 lappy...

Rick
« Last Edit: November 18, 2004, 09:21:50 AM by sickrick43 »
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline rdptha2nd

• Taperssection Regular
  • "Jazz is not dead...it just smells funny." - Zappa
    • Check Out Namaste!!!
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2004, 09:06:42 AM »
Thanks for the help +T  ;D
Recording: ADK A-51TL and/or Superlux SMKH8K > Digimod UA5 > Nomad JB3
Transfer: Nomad JB3 > Firewire > Nomad Explorer > T-Racks 2.0 > Soungforge 5.0 > CD WAV > FLAC Frontend

Check out http://www.namastemusic.com and/or http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=namaste

jpschust

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2004, 12:16:26 PM »

inverter works great for in the car, just doesnt work well in the field

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2004, 12:52:30 PM »
The more powerful inventor you got in your car = more power pulled from your car. Puts alot of stress on your alternator and battery if running really power hungry devices. YMMV.

I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2004, 12:53:23 PM »
i have my roomate's on permanant loan.  Get funny looks when i'm camping and folks wonder why i have a 50ft extension cord and some powerstrips.  the 4Runner also has a DC output in the rear which is very convienient.

my 12v outlets say no more than 120watts. 
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2004, 11:35:41 AM »
I was just looking at getting a decent pure sine wave inverter for field use.
Just tossing it around, I most llikely won't but, it had me thinking why not just 2 12v SLA's
the inverter and now you are not limited by EQ that is DC only.
It seems to open so much more up. Pros and cons of course.
Pro's, tube preamps maybe
Con's extra weight... extra piece of gear.(another link to break in the chain)
The inverter in itself is not more then 3 pounds.
Just everything else, like 2 12V SLA's 1 would probably work for most
shows depending on the rating and what you are pulling  juice wise.
From a money standpoint, I can't see getting away from the tried and true field tested EQ everyone uses already.A good inverter and then pre's and ADC would run as much as the basic digi-mod UA5.
Unless deals are to be found. I can't find them though.
I was looking at some entry line tube pre's, then you need a ADC, and a lot of those I see
are only spdif or 1/4" no toslink, so then you need a HOSA or something. (that is if you are going the JB3 route, I am...)
So far from what I see though,least path of resistance and lots of experience from others is the V3/UA5/minime still.
Anyone know a good ADC that will go toslink out? I rather stay away from the HOSA.
Again I am most likely getting a UA5 from oade though.
But hey something to just ponder on while putting the time in at the office...
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

Offline sickrick43

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm NOT a fucking llama!
« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2004, 01:06:26 PM »
I was just looking at getting a decent pure sine wave inverter for field use.
Just tossing it around, I most llikely won't but, it had me thinking why not just 2 12v SLA's
the inverter and now you are not limited by EQ that is DC only.
It seems to open so much more up. Pros and cons of course.
Pro's, tube preamps maybe
Con's extra weight... extra piece of gear.(another link to break in the chain)
The inverter in itself is not more then 3 pounds.
Just everything else, like 2 12V SLA's 1 would probably work for most
shows depending on the rating and what you are pulling  juice wise.
From a money standpoint, I can't see getting away from the tried and true field tested EQ everyone uses already.A good inverter and then pre's and ADC would run as much as the basic digi-mod UA5.
Unless deals are to be found. I can't find them though.
I was looking at some entry line tube pre's, then you need a ADC, and a lot of those I see
are only spdif or 1/4" no toslink, so then you need a HOSA or something. (that is if you are going the JB3 route, I am...)
So far from what I see though,least path of resistance and lots of experience from others is the V3/UA5/minime still.
Anyone know a good ADC that will go toslink out? I rather stay away from the HOSA.
Again I am most likely getting a UA5 from oade though.
But hey something to just ponder on while putting the time in at the office...

The main problem with inverters is that they're just nor really efficient.  The object of "combat taping" (which is what it's getting to be like out there), is to have a small high quality package that you can fly mic's and capture the best quality sound.  Not how much gear you can haul in and power. 

That being the case, I'd bring in a bicycle with a generator and pay wookies "schwilly & kind" to power my rig, which I would haul in on my airport luggage cart.

Field taping is about the balance of quality versus practicality.  Why would you want to EQ an input signal, with no "real" way to monitor it?  Cans aren't going to get it in a 115dB concert environment.

Today's current technology for pre-amps and A/D's (V3's, UA5's, MME's, etc.) are of the quality that's comperable to 110VAC operated gear, but we got to take it ANYWHERE.

I'm looking to LIGHTEN my load, not make it heavier.  For pro recording jobs I've been involved with, there's always a place to plug-in...

My $.02

Rick
4 Track & CD Live Rig: TLM-170's->V3->SD-744T  CDLive->TC Finalzer Express->Tascam CDR-900SL

24 Track Rig: Audix D6/D2/D4/I5/SCX1-C/O->Whilrwind SPC82 ISO Splitters->DigimaxLT's->Alesis HD24 (Lucid GenX192 Master Clock)

Canon 1Ds MarkII - 16-35/2.8L - 24-70/2.8L - 70-200/2.8L IS - 180/f:3.5 Macro - 550EX Flash

"this isnt a dramatic bitchy exit, its just time to go." - Big Ray (queen of the dramatic bitchy exit)

Offline JackoRoses

• lost cause
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2004, 02:42:13 PM »
That is pretty much the conclusion I came to as well.
The only thing I could see using a inverter for is EQ you already own.
Or are just trying to get something together cheaply till you can afford better.
Very good insights though. Thanks
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/jackoroses
AKG ck61's/ck62's/ck63's/480b's > zaolla's/Dogstar silver cables > optimod V3  > zaolla spdif> HD-P2
"None are more hopelessly enslaved than those who falsely believe they are free. "
Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

Big Brother is here and he is watching you.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.056 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com